PDA

View Full Version : Soxfest 2003

Maggliosfan09
09-28-2002, 12:09 AM
Since this season is pretty much over, who all is planning on going to soxfest next year? If you didn't know it's January 31st, February 1st and 2nd.

guillen4life13
09-28-2002, 12:33 AM
i think i might. how much is it to get in? it's over a weekend so I should be able to.

WinningUgly!
09-28-2002, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
i think i might. how much is it to get in? it's over a weekend so I should be able to.

I didn't make it last year, hopefully there will be a WSI booth again this year. Gotta get in on some of that arm wrestling! :D:

Lip Man 1
09-28-2002, 01:50 AM
Isn't that Super Bowl weekend?

If so, chalk up another "blunder" to our inept P.R. department.

Lip

doublem23
09-28-2002, 03:27 AM
I'm probably gonna try and go.

whitesoxwilkes
09-28-2002, 10:11 AM
I'm going. It's a good time.

WinningUgly!
09-28-2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Isn't that Super Bowl weekend?

If so, chalk up another "blunder" to our inept P.R. department.

Lip

Not this time. The Super Bowl is one week earlier, on January 26th.

HawkDJ
09-28-2002, 11:14 AM
I think it was Super Bowl weekend last year, but I went on Saturday anyways. I'm probably going to go but there is just so much to do, so little time!

TornLabrum
09-28-2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Maggliosfan09
Since this season is pretty much over, who all is planning on going to soxfest next year? If you didn't know it's January 31st, February 1st and 2nd.

Unless I have surgery again this year over the Christmas Holidays I'll be there. I'll probably be spending some time in the Windy City Sox Fans booth. Stop by, say hi, and join. Everything above the costs to run events goes to Chicago Baseball Cancer Charities and is earmarked for Children's Memorial Hospital.

WhiteSox = Life
09-28-2002, 03:25 PM
I've never been to SoxFest and I was thinking about maybe coaxing my way into going there with my dad when it comes around.

For those who have went, could you tell me some of the reasons to go and some of the best things you can do there?

How crowded is it usually? How high are the prices for some of the memorabilia?

Finally, what's the single best reason to go?

All of you are going to be important factors whether I try to use my persuasion techniques to attempt to go or not.

I eagerly await your responses.

:)

duke of dorwood
09-28-2002, 05:05 PM
We always go-see you there

voodoochile
09-28-2002, 05:09 PM
I've never been, but will consider going this year, except I'm also really ticked at the Sox right now and don't know how much money I want to give to JR and crew. May sit next year out barring something amazing like a pennant run...

Ol Aches & Pains
09-28-2002, 09:58 PM
I went to the one after the '93 season, I believe, it may have been the first one. I had a Sox cap that I wanted Bo Jackson to sign across the bill with a silver sharpie. For some reason, this seemed important at the time. I stood in a hot, sweaty, barely moving line for 3 1/2 hours waiting for my turn with the great man. Finally, the moment arrived, and I stood before him. I asked him to sign the cap with my silver pen, but he was holding a black sharpie in his hand, and refused to switch pens, saying, "I should be on my way home by now". He turned the cap over and signed the underside of the bill in black, definitely not what I had in mind. I said "I should be on my way home too, but I've been standing in this line for over three hours. At least you're sitting down". He handed the cap back to me without even looking up. This after going 0 for 10 with 6 strikeouts in the playoffs. I promised myself on the spot, never again, I don't care if it's Lou F***ing Gehrig up there.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-28-2002, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Ol Aches & Pains
I went to the one after the '93 season, I believe, it may have been the first one. I had a Sox cap that I wanted Bo Jackson to sign across the bill with a silver sharpie. For some reason, this seemed important at the time. I stood in a hot, sweaty, barely moving line for 3 1/2 hours waiting for my turn with the great man. Finally, the moment arrived, and I stood before him. I asked him to sign the cap with my silver pen, but he was holding a black sharpie in his hand, and refused to switch pens, saying, "I should be on my way home by now". He turned the cap over and signed the underside of the bill in black, definitely not what I had in mind. I said "I should be on my way home too, but I've been standing in this line for over three hours. At least you're sitting down". He handed the cap back to me without even looking up. This after going 0 for 10 with 6 strikeouts in the playoffs. I promised myself on the spot, never again, I don't care if it's Lou F***ing Gehrig up there.

LOL! You should have pulled a baseball from your pocket, then said, "Here, sign this. It's the homerun ball I stole off your mom's tombstone."

I bet that would have gotten his attention.

:)

Maggliosfan09
09-28-2002, 11:02 PM
guillen4life13 last year it was $15 dollars for a 1 day pass and $30 dollars for a 3 day weekend pass.

Maggliosfan09
09-28-2002, 11:09 PM
WhiteSox = Life It's fun to go. The memorabilia can be pricey. It depends on what you are looking for. A Magglio or Frank used bat will be pricey while a bat of someone like Jeff Liefer or Josh Paul won't be as much. A tip if you got the first day, go as early as you can before it. If you go early you get to be up front during the opening ceremony where all the players are announced. The players throw out autographed shirts. By the way if anyone gets Maggs or Josh Paul's shirt and will give it or sell it to me let me know please. We should all wear WSI shirts with our sns on them so we know who everyone is. Anyone like that idea?

WhiteSox = Life
09-29-2002, 02:35 AM
Thanks for the info.

Better yet, if there's another WSI booth, as many are hoping for, we should all hang out there and each person says one thing about the White Sox and every one there gets a guess at who's who.

"Hi, I'm ______. I am a regular poster at WSI and the White Sox will never be a contending team as long as Jerry is the owner of the team."

On second thought, if most comments are like this, it'd never work.

Besides, I doubt very many people want to see what other people look like. It's better this way, over the internet, on a message board. If everyone knew what each other looked like, it's possible, in theory, that some people might view a certain poster according to how they look. I'm not saying we're anywhere near that shallow, but you never know when unconscious judgements can get the better of a person.

Boy, too political for my tastes. Better wash down this mumbo jumbo... :gulp:

rmusacch
09-29-2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
I think it was Super Bowl weekend last year, but I went on Saturday anyways. I'm probably going to go but there is just so much to do, so little time!

Yeah it was Super Bowl weekend but to be fair to the Sox, it was scheduled before Super Bowl was moved to that, as a result of September 11th.

TornLabrum
09-29-2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by rmusacch
Yeah it was Super Bowl weekend but to be fair to the Sox, it was scheduled before Super Bowl was moved to that, as a result of September 11th.

That is correct. In fact, I seem to recall a couple of years ago that the dates for the next year's SoxFest were announced on the final day of that SoxFest.

Maggliosfan09
10-02-2002, 10:23 PM
it'll be cool if there is a WSI booth again. I checked it out for a second last year. I was with my dad. I'm going again this year so if there is a booth I'll come over. A bunch of us should hang out in line together. Maybe my dad'll get me out of school early so we can get there early :D: