PDA

View Full Version : According to the Moron...

cheeses_h_rice
09-27-2002, 12:40 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay27.html
(Article on Frank Thomas)

Find a new address this winter. It's just not happening here.
Both the Sox and Thomas would be best served by a parting of ways. They need to dump his albatross contract and pouting puss
The temptation, I'm sure, is to pray The Old Frank has returned and project him in the middle of an order with the MVP-ready Ordonez and emerging Crede.
The heart wants to give him one more try. But the mind says no, it's too late. For seven years, Frank Thomas was one of history's greatest hitters.

Today, he's just history.

...and:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay26.html
(Article on Sham-ME Sosa)

Because as much as he loves Chicago, loves living 30 stories above the lake, loves sprinting out to right field and loves blowing kisses, he has learned to detest terminal losing the way Mark Grace and so many others did.
Sadly, Sosa isn't getting the love he deserves this week. Granted, in an unprecedented era of power, No. 500 feels like No. 400 used to feel. But in a baseball town with little to celebrate, the appreciation level should be higher.
It's sad Sosa is blamed by some nitwits for the losing. In five seasons, he has put up stunning numbers in a lineup of stiffs who might win 40 games without him. But for some reason, his legacy is downgraded by team failures out of his control.
His accomplishments have been taken for granted, hopefully not because segments of this city can't revere a Latino athlete.
Whatever happens in the golden years of his career, one thing is certain. He'd better be a Cub.

__

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG
S Sosa 147 546 120 159 19 2 48 106 326 100 139 2 0 .401 .597 .291
F Thomas 145 514 77 129 29 1 28 92 244 85 111 3 0 .359 .475 .251

Yes, a whopping .040 difference in average, .042 in OBP, and 14 in RBI between these 2 hitters (one of whom missed almost an entire season due to injury), and the Moron breaks out the Cat-o-Nine-Tails for Frank and the perfume and sweets for Sham-ME.

But, oh, that's right. Sham-ME has 48 zingers vs. Frank's paltry 28 -- I totally forgot about that. After all, THAT'S what really matters to "Flubbie fans" and sad excuses for journalism like the Moron, isn't it?

:moron

When Sammy carried that American flag around the bases last September, I nearly wet myself.

bc2k
09-27-2002, 04:11 PM
Nice thread CHR. I like the way you made a point about Mariotti's bias by posting two opposite opinioned articles.

In response to Mariotti's quote of revering a Latino, what about Magglio Ordonez? He's a better player than Sosa, and gets much less recognition. AND HE'S ON A WINNING TEAM! So if there is a Latino getting unjust fan recognition, it's Ordonez.

doublem23
09-27-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
AND HE'S ON A WINNING TEAM!

No he's not.

voodoochile
09-27-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
No he's not.

Actually at the time of this post and the one you responded to, he is...

SI1020
09-27-2002, 05:06 PM
Frank Thomas should leave town on the next Greyhound but Sammee "better" stay a cub?? Where's that hurl caption? As a "mature" adult I always found it unamusing but now here I am saying this because that is exactly how the moron makes me feel. When I think of all the great sports writers I grew up reading as a kid in Chicago and think that today the Sun Times wants to give this idiot a byline it truly makes me sick. Any of the WSI writers could do a better job while asleep. This world is truly not a meritocracy or else who do you think the real French Fry Boy should be? Why, it's Jay of course!

cheeses_h_rice
09-27-2002, 05:16 PM
One thing that really, really irks me about the Moron's slant on things is that he seems to actually be giving Sham-ME extra credit for playing on really awful teams. Never mind the fact that the Moron never once questions things like...

-Sosa's presence in the clubhouse actually being a detraction from club chemistry and overall team spirit. Sham-ME has consistently put himself above his team, ALWAYS, ranging from not showing up to spring training with the rest of the team, to not advancing runners and swinging for the fences when the situation calls for it. Isn't it possible that maybe, just maybe, the lopsided dynamic of the clubhouse actually HURTS the Cubs?

-Sosa's salary. The Flubs have proven they can lose with Sham-ME. After all, they've been doing it with flying colors for a decade now. Had they pulled the trigger on that Yankees trade, just imagine how good they'd look right now. And they won't be catching our vitamin-chomping superstar on the downward arc of his career.

But nope. Apparently the Moron is, at heart, just another floppy-hatted lemming sucking up the good vibes, good rays, and good alcohol in the bleachers at Wrigley, watching Sham-ME hit his meaningless zingers, do his egomaniacal hop, stutter-step and kissyfingers, while his team is being slaughtered 11-1.

Hey, check out the rack on the blondie in the second row!

Iguana775
09-27-2002, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay27.html
(Article on Frank Thomas)

...and:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay26.html
(Article on Sham-ME Sosa)

__

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG
S Sosa 147 546 120 159 19 2 48 106 326 100 139 2 0 .401 .597 .291
F Thomas 145 514 77 129 29 1 28 92 244 85 111 3 0 .359 .475 .251

Yes, a whopping .040 difference in average, .042 in OBP, and 14 in RBI between these 2 hitters (one of whom missed almost an entire season due to injury), and the Moron breaks out the Cat-o-Nine-Tails for Frank and the perfume and sweets for Sham-ME.

But, oh, that's right. Sham-ME has 48 zingers vs. Frank's paltry 28 -- I totally forgot about that. After all, THAT'S what really matters to "Flubbie fans" and sad excuses for journalism like the Moron, isn't it?

When Sammy carried that American flag around the bases last September, I nearly wet myself.

sosa can kiss my ass and go to hell. he is one of the most selfish players in baseball.

DVG
09-28-2002, 12:06 AM
Nice cheap shot at a "segment" of the city, saying they might
not embrace a Latino star. Hmmm. He is right. After all, look
how badly guys like Minnie Minoso, Luis Aparicio and Chico
Carresquel were hated and reviled.

Tragg
09-28-2002, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by DVG
Nice cheap shot at a "segment" of the city, saying they might
not embrace a Latino star. Hmmm. He is right. After all, look
how badly guys like Minnie Minoso, Luis Aparicio and Chico
Carresquel were hated and reviled.

Yes, isn't that amazing. But that's the way racists like moronotti view the world. He projects his opinion of black people on those who do not play footsie with sosa. And, more recently, you could add Guillen to the list, who was beloved by many on the south side.

Nellie_Fox
09-28-2002, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
And, more recently, you could add Guillen to the list, who was beloved by many on the south side. I still miss Ozzie. And the reason that Nellie is my #1 hero rather than Luis is because I had too much of a rag arm to play short when I was a kid (I had no hope of a decent throw from deep in the hole) so I switched to second and learned to make the quick release across my body.