PDA

View Full Version : Voice of The Fan / Tribune


Lip Man 1
09-27-2002, 01:41 AM
A very interesting "voice of the Sox fan" letter has just appeared on the Tribune's web site.

I suggest you read it. It presents an interesting spin on the Sox closing the upper deck.

In that same vain did anybody else hear Hawk during the Boston / Sox Thursday telecast when they showed pictures of the canvas covered upper deck?

Hawk said while the pictures were being shown, that he didn't know what they were doing up there.

That quote along with the letter in the Tribune, makes me wonder what really is going on and what the motivation was.

Lip

RichH55
09-27-2002, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
A very interesting "voice of the Sox fan" letter has just appeared on the Tribune's web site.

I suggest you read it. It presents an interesting spin on the Sox closing the upper deck.

In that same vain did anybody else hear Hawk during the Boston / Sox Thursday telecast when they showed pictures of the canvas covered upper deck?

Hawk said while the pictures were being shown, that he didn't know what they were doing up there.

That quote along with the letter in the Tribune, makes me wonder what really is going on and what the motivation was.

Lip


Well for the most part on the Upper Deck we cant help but be pleasantly surprised

cheeses_h_rice
09-27-2002, 08:12 AM
Here's the link:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-020926soxfanview,0,1622654.story?coll=cs%2Dwhiteso x%2Dheadlines

Basically, this writer is suggesting that the Sox aren't currently doing any renovations on the upper deck, but rather are trying to save money by not having to pay any security/concessions employees/cleaning crews for the upper deck areas.

If so, this is pretty sad and petty. I'd especially be peeved if I had nice UD seats behind the home plate area, as the friend of this letter writer had. Trying to tell this guy that OUTFIELD bleacher seats are "better" than third row behind home plate in the UD is like trying to polish a turd -- it's a lie.

steff
09-27-2002, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
A very interesting "voice of the Sox fan" letter has just appeared on the Tribune's web site.

I suggest you read it. It presents an interesting spin on the Sox closing the upper deck.

In that same vain did anybody else hear Hawk during the Boston / Sox Thursday telecast when they showed pictures of the canvas covered upper deck?

Hawk said while the pictures were being shown, that he didn't know what they were doing up there.

That quote along with the letter in the Tribune, makes me wonder what really is going on and what the motivation was.

Lip


I tried to mention about the UD last week, but was told I was WRONG!! Then - poof - tarp on, paint all over the place...
What I was told is that they are taking out some rows of UD seating. What they're doing after that, nobody knows. There's been ramblings of construction starting ASAP on a "roof inside the roof", but that seems completely unrealistic to me given the lack of time. But with JR, anything is possible. Wouldn't surprise me if they were there already this morning. Friday night when we were leaving we saw steel supports set up behind the section 106 & 107 outside wall over the air conditioners. Maybe they are adding a porch?
As for the tarp, I can only imagine it's there so the seats didn't get paint on them. Or mayyyybe.. they've installed new green seats..???

Kilroy
09-27-2002, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by steff3603
I tried to mention about the UD last week, but was told I was WRONG!! Then - poof - tarp on, paint all over the place...
What I was told is that they are taking out some rows of UD seating. What they're doing after that, nobody knows. There's been ramblings of construction starting ASAP on a "roof inside the roof", but that seems completely unrealistic to me given the lack of time. But with JR, anything is possible. Wouldn't surprise me if they were there already this morning. Friday night when we were leaving we saw steel supports set up behind the section 106 & 107 outside wall over the air conditioners. Maybe they are adding a porch?
As for the tarp, I can only imagine it's there so the seats didn't get paint on them. Or mayyyybe.. they've installed new green seats..???

No rows are being removed. No home-run porch. That plan went into the ****ter when one of Daley's lackey's leaked to the media that HFC was going to purchase naming rights.

And theres no new green seats either. The inside of the overhang is being painted, and all exposed concrete will be "stained", for lack of a better word, excluding walking surfaces.

The UD concourse will be renovated like the lower deck, and that's it.

hold2dibber
09-27-2002, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
No rows are being removed. No home-run porch. That plan went into the ****ter when one of Daley's lackey's leaked to the media that HFC was going to purchase naming rights.

And theres no new green seats either. The inside of the overhang is being painted, and all exposed concrete will be "stained", for lack of a better word, excluding walking surfaces.

The UD concourse will be renovated like the lower deck, and that's it.

I seem to recall that the "minor" changes you mention have already been publicized, but that the Sox have said that in November, they will be announcing additional renovations to be undertaken this off season.

steff
09-27-2002, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I seem to recall that the "minor" changes you mention have already been publicized, but that the Sox have said that in November, they will be announcing additional renovations to be undertaken this off season.


hold....didn't you see Kilroy's reply? NOTHING ELSE IS BEING DONE!!! (<-- should be in teal, but I'm in a hurry).

RKMeibalane
09-28-2002, 12:34 PM
They probably can't decide what they're going to do with the upper deck. Jerry Manuel is probably involved in the renovations, so he keeps tinkering with the plans. LOL!

PaleHoseGeorge
09-28-2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
They probably can't decide what they're going to do with the upper deck. Jerry Manuel is probably involved in the renovations, so he keeps tinkering with the plans. LOL!

:jerry
"Sox Fans always treat me fairly. I think a whole section of seats named for William Ligue, Jr. would be a fitting tribute!"

:burly
"What the hell is he talking about?"

:walnuts
"Just keep quiet and run for your plane after Sunday's game."