PDA

View Full Version : Hal's column

DVG
09-27-2002, 12:41 AM
Great column by Hal Vickery going off on my UN-favorite news
"columnist" Jay Screamalotti. I only wish that a) it had been a
lot harsher on him and b) it had appeared on the same page
of the Sun-Times as the screamer's latest rant.

One thing that Hal failed to mention is that it was simply Jay's
latest attempt to bury the White Sox franchise. His yelling that
the team could be contracted has failed (his little heart is break-
ing, I'm sure) so now he's back to his old tactic of ripping the
ballpark and the neighborhood. All part of his efforts to help
drive down attendance. He has declared WAR!!!! on the team.
Someone must have set him off. Maybe they wouldn't talk to
him, or called him a bad writer. Something. He's a worm.

Lip Man 1
09-27-2002, 01:36 AM
Hal must have typed this out at three in the morning. Gamboa coaches for the Royals, not the Twins.

Gee, the way some of you folks react to Jay, I don't know if it's a good idea now to do that interview with him for WSI.

Lip

DVG
09-27-2002, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Hal must have typed this out at three in the morning. Gamboa coaches for the Royals, not the Twins.

Gee, the way some of you folks react to Jay, I don't know if it's a good idea now to do that interview with him for WSI.

Lip

Interview him for WSI?? You are kidding, aren't you?

Iwritecode
09-27-2002, 09:47 AM

Lip

You forgot the teal...

WinningUgly!
09-27-2002, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by DVG
Great column by Hal Vickery going off on my UN-favorite news
"columnist" Jay Screamalotti. I only wish that a) it had been a
lot harsher on him and b) it had appeared on the same page
of the Sun-Times as the screamer's latest rant.

One thing that Hal failed to mention is that it was simply Jay's
latest attempt to bury the White Sox franchise. His yelling that
the team could be contracted has failed (his little heart is break-
ing, I'm sure) so now he's back to his old tactic of ripping the
ballpark and the neighborhood. All part of his efforts to help
drive down attendance. He has declared WAR!!!! on the team.
Someone must have set him off. Maybe they wouldn't talk to
him, or called him a bad writer. Something. He's a worm.

Great job Hal. :gulp:

Cheryl
09-27-2002, 10:22 AM
Good column, Hal. But I have to say this one more time.

If you quit reading Jay, all of you, everyone you know stops reading him, the Sun Times will come to its senses and fire the *******.

Dadawg_77
09-27-2002, 10:24 AM
Hey if you can get Jay do it. and if you can ask him why he writes in a style that is usually highlights a persons/team negatives, but rarely the positives. Also ask him why he consistently writes negative articles about the Sox no matter what they do on the ball field.

Cheryl
09-27-2002, 10:28 AM
Also ask him why he makes stuff up as he goes along.

Oh, and ask him if he isn't ashamed of himself.

voodoochile
09-27-2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Cheryl
Also ask him why he makes stuff up as he goes along.

Oh, and ask him if he isn't ashamed of himself.

And if he won't answer, there's always the Daver option...

Hey, I can dream can't I?

:D:

Lip Man 1
09-27-2002, 01:06 PM
Folks:

I'm not kidding. I'm attempting to work it out even as we speak, through some mutual friends.

I don't know if he'll do it or not, but I'm giving it a hard sell.

I fully intend to be objective with him and to get into the areas some of you asked about. I also intend to ask him if his personal animosity towards Jerry Reinsdorf clouds his judgement. (Personally I don't mind that hatred towards Reinsdorf, I feel that way myself!)

For those of you who don't know this, that animosity stems from the fact that a few years ago Reisndorf called the owner and publishers of the Sun Times in an effort to get Jay fired.

From what I was told, those individuals basically laughed in Reinsdorf's face.

And those of you who also think I'm kidding about getting Jay and every big name in Chicago for WSI, wait till you see my next Q & A which hits the web site around October 15th and wait till you read what this individual says about Sox management and their future.

Lip

Cheryl
09-27-2002, 02:21 PM
I don't think you're kidding Lip. I'm not kidding either. Ask him if he can sleep at night after the lame excuse for a column he writes.

SI1020
09-27-2002, 04:45 PM
Edgar Munzel, Jerome Holtzman, Warren Brown, John Carmichael, Bill Gleason, Cooper Rollow, Ted Damata, Dave Condon and so many others I read as a kid. I even remember Brent Musberger had a column I believe at the old American. Now the field of sports journalism has morphed to this. Ask Jay if he ever heard of any of these guys let alone read them?

voodoochile
09-27-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by SI1020
Edgar Munzel, Jerome Holtzman, Warren Brown, John Carmichael, Bill Gleason, Cooper Rollow, Ted Damata, Dave Condon and so many others I read as a kid. I even remember Brent Musberger had a column I believe at the old American. Now the field of sports journalism has morphed to this. Ask Jay if he ever heard of any of these guys let alone read them?

You actually expect your sports writers to understand sports and pay attention to the games? Nonononononono! All they have to do is sell newspapers and occasionally come up with a witty turn of a phrase. Learning to figure out which way the wind is blowing is important to. From that perspective, the Moron could be Tom Skilling...

hold2dibber
09-27-2002, 05:27 PM
Folks:

I'm not kidding. I'm attempting to work it out even as we speak, through some mutual friends.

I fully intend to be objective with him and to get into the areas some of you asked about. I also intend to ask him if his personal animosity towards Jerry Reinsdorf clouds his judgement. (Personally I don't mind that hatred towards Reinsdorf, I feel that way myself!)

For those of you who don't know this, that animosity stems from the fact that a few years ago Reisndorf called the owner and publishers of the Sun Times in an effort to get Jay fired.

And those of you who also think I'm kidding about getting Jay and every big name in Chicago for WSI, wait till you see my next Q & A which hits the web site around October 15th and wait till you read what this individual says about Sox management and their future.

Lip

Uuggghh -- why do I have a sinking feeling that whatever the mystery person will have to say about Sox management and their future is going to make me very depressed.

If you do get Marinotti on board, I hope you have the time to go back through some of his columns about the Sox so you can give him examples of his bias and ask him how he justifies his treatment of the Sox, particularly when compared to his treatment of the Cubs and Shamee. A real Perry Mason style cross examination that makes him cry, confess his sins and reform. Is that expecting too much? :smile:

maurice
09-27-2002, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Learning to figure out which way the wind is blowing is important too. From that perspective, the Moron could be Tom Skilling...

Hey, now! Take it easy on Dr. Weather! It's bad enough he has to deal with his brother and the Enron scandal. Grouping him with Moronotti is infinitely worse. :)

Besides, I'm sure that Skilling could write a much better sports column.

AMestan
09-27-2002, 08:19 PM
Hal,

Great article on Jerkotti. Why whould anyone even discuss or admit that he writes an article in one of the top ten newspapers in the United States. I would like to have Jerkotti boycotted. Let's not read him, talk about him or pretend he exists.

Jerkotti represents Chicago about as well as, Mayor Daley represents Paris, France.

TornLabrum
09-27-2002, 09:37 PM

Lip

Actually I typed it less than an hour after I woke up last Saturday morning. The Twins were in town, and were on my mind.

You can also tell from this how much proofreading of my own stuff I do before I send it off.

Mea culpa!
Mea culpa!
Mea maxima culpa! :whiner:

TornLabrum
09-27-2002, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
Good column, Hal. But I have to say this one more time.

If you quit reading Jay, all of you, everyone you know stops reading him, the Sun Times will come to its senses and fire the *******.

Cheryl,

I first saw the Moronotti quotes here on this board. It was only then that I read the damn thing! His statements were so blatantly stupid that they had to be answered.

TornLabrum
09-27-2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Hey, now! Take it easy on Dr. Weather! It's bad enough he has to deal with his brother and the Enron scandal. Grouping him with Moronotti is infinitely worse. :)

Besides, I'm sure that Skilling could write a much better sports column.

I think Bob Green could write a better sports column...with an emphasis on the greedy players and how they've ruined the game, and how because their president isn't able to attribute a quote from Casablanca to the right actor, this proves the players are in the wrong...oh, wait! He did that column before he was fired.

DVG
09-27-2002, 11:01 PM
Folks:

Lip

So Reinsdorf tried to get the pudgy little worm fired? Boo hoo hoo.
My heart breaks for poor little Jay. Let's not forget he's been
writing his tripe in the Sun-Times since 1991 and ripping on
Reinsdorf and the White Sox for quite some time. Let's not forget
that back when Mariotti constantly ripped Reinsdorf for not getting
a big-name free agent. When Albert Belle was signed, the pudgy
little fellow had a fit and ripped Reinsdorf for going against his
convictions.

Then in 1997 he screeched that the Sox were underachievers,
could not win and blah and blah. Then when the Sox give up on
the season, he screams that Reinsdorf ought to be run out of
town. The guy has flip-flopped more times than a fish out of
water. He has no journalistic integrity whatsoever.

DVG
09-27-2002, 11:11 PM
Folks:

Lip

Lip,

I don't expect you to land Mariotti for one minute. For crud like
him, "hard-hitting" journalism is a one-way street. That is, he
can write all the tough, "hard-hitting" columns he wants, asking
all the tough questions. When someone does it to him, however,
it's WAR!!! Just ask Jim Morrissey or any other "Tribster." You
won't get any tough questions within 100 miles of him. I am
willing to wager you on that.

Lip Man 1
09-28-2002, 12:56 AM
DVG:

Let's see if we can get him first before we assume anything else.

I will tell you this though, I've been in the media myself since 1979, I think I can get him to answer my questions (although you may not like the answers.....)

My next Q & A (which is already done,) is another individual that many WSI fans dislike, but I found this person to be very courteous, professional and gave honest answers to my questions, so let's wait before we pass judgement on Jay.

Lip

voodoochile
09-28-2002, 01:07 AM
DVG:

I will tell you this though, I've been in the media myself since 1979, I think I can get him to answer my questions (although you may not like the answers.....)

My next Q & A (which is already done,) is another individual that many WSI fans dislike, but I found this person to be very courteous, professional and gave honest answers to my questions, so let's wait before we pass judgement on Jay.

Lip

Sure, we'll have a right fine trial follwed by a real nice hanging...

DVG
09-28-2002, 02:33 AM
DVG:

Lip

OK, perhaps I was a bit hasty. But the sticking point with me is
that he seems to be trying to help run the entire franchise into
the ground because he has some sort of Sicilian vendetta
against Reinsdorf. He takes every little negative and blows it
up to make it seem as this little thing will be, finally (hopefully)
the death of the franchise.

Lip Man 1
09-28-2002, 12:45 PM
DVG:

I do remember that when Jay still had his radio show on what was then One On One Sports (last year), he categorically stated that by 2012, the area around Comiskey Park will have been bulldozed with a large industrial complex on the site. The team will be someplace else (Las Vegas? Mexico City??) and the franchise will no longer exist (at least as the White Sox.)

Before you say this is unbelieveable, remember that more sober individuals like Rich Lindberg have been warning the same thing, since the Sox lease expires in eight years.

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
09-28-2002, 02:20 PM
DVG:

I do remember that when Jay still had his radio show on what was then One On One Sports (last year), he categorically stated that by 2012, the area around Comiskey Park will have been bulldozed with a large industrial complex on the site. The team will be someplace else (Las Vegas? Mexico City??) and the franchise will no longer exist (at least as the White Sox.)

Before you say this is unbelieveable, remember that more sober individuals like Rich Lindberg have been warning the same thing, since the Sox lease expires in eight years.

Lip

The real estate immediately east and north of Comiskey is some of the hottest property in the city. Gentrification will swallow Comiskey within the next ten years, and probably most of Bridgeport with it.

Oh BTW, Jay Marriotti is an idiot.

:moron
"Right as usual!"

WhiteSox = Life
09-28-2002, 02:47 PM
Although he covers the Cubs, I'd like to see Teddy Greenstein of the Tribune get interviewed. I'd love to see some hard-hitting, honest reporter (*ahem*... Lip) talk to him and get him to answer questions without having to look over his shoulder to say what Daddy Tribby wants him to say. Teddy (I suppose a perfect name for someone who covers the Cubs) would probably cry if asked a question that he couldn't answer, such as, "Who plays in the outfield besides Sham-Me?"

That guy is almost more of a corporate puppet than a certain Major League GM...

:KW
"What are you *urk* (stop pulling there) talking about?"

:reinsy
"Mwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!"

Lip Man 1
09-28-2002, 04:10 PM
Stay tuned for a future announcement concerning Teddy Greenstein and Paul Sullivan from the Tribune.

It is in regards to next year's baseball coverage.

Lip

DVG
09-28-2002, 11:14 PM
DVG:

Lip

My bone to pick with him is not that he has made that prediction.
I can deal with Lindberg saying that because he is a lifelong
White Sox fan who is all too familiar with the woes of the team.
Mariotti, on the other hand, came over here from Pittsburgh,
decided that Chicago belonged only to the Cubs and started in
on the doom-and-gloom predictions. I honestly believe he makes
them more because he is a drooling idiot Cub fan who WANTS to
see them happen more than anything else. How else to ex-
plain the trash he wrote hollering about how the team might
be contracted? Was that a "sober" assessment of the team's
problems? Or just some sensationalistic yellow journalism garbage meant to plant the idea in people's heads? Lindberg
obviously does not want the team to move. Mariotti does and
is doing his part to help see that it happens.

voodoochile
09-28-2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by DVG
My bone to pick with him is not that he has made that prediction.
I can deal with Lindberg saying that because he is a lifelong
White Sox fan who is all too familiar with the woes of the team.
Mariotti, on the other hand, came over here from Pittsburgh,
decided that Chicago belonged only to the Cubs and started in
on the doom-and-gloom predictions. I honestly believe he makes
them more because he is a drooling idiot Cub fan who WANTS to
see them happen more than anything else. How else to ex-
plain the trash he wrote hollering about how the team might
be contracted? Was that a "sober" assessment of the team's
problems? Or just some sensationalistic yellow journalism garbage meant to plant the idea in people's heads? Lindberg
obviously does not want the team to move. Mariotti does and
is doing his part to help see that it happens.

Maybe the Trib offered him a front-page by-line and a national audience if he ran the Sox out of town and they couldn't be blamed for it...

:moron
"I would never (*wink* *wink*) work for those evil Tribsters. But I do love that amazing employee of theirs named ShamME. Have you seen the beautiful ivy at the shrine on the north side? Have you had the chance to sit in splendid joy in right field and watch his majesty blow heart kisses to the fans before dazzling them with an aerial display that is rivaled by none, least of all that evil loudmouthed cranky spoiled not-worthy of minimum wage in this or any man's league, Frank "You suck" Thomas."