PDA

View Full Version : All this talk about pitching is...

spanishwhite
09-26-2002, 09:21 PM
making my head hurt. I love the optimism here, but people...please. You guys are living in a world of make believe. This might work if we had a competent gm such as Cashman, Beane, Sabean. And a cooperative owner such as Steinbrenner.
So let me remind you what are gm's name is=Lenny Williams.

Do we really want Williams to wheel and deal?

I am not going to remind everybody about all the misdealings that
this genius of a gm has done whether they were done in good
faith or not. Add into the fact that there is a limit that we can spend.

So, free agency will probably not happen. Probably a trade such as Lee and Foulke for Thurman, Hitchcock, or Pavano. All pitchers who have shown promise.

Im with daver, inserting Chopper, Rauch, or Foulke would be better than any offseason pitcher he might get. They wouldn't do much worse.

I know it sounds crazy but having a rotation of home grown pitchers appeals to me more than RENTING a pitcher for a year or two.

Daver
09-26-2002, 09:37 PM
[i]

Im with daver, inserting Chopper, Rauch, or Foulke would be better than any offseason pitcher he might get. They wouldn't do much worse.
[/B]

I know you are relatively new here,so you do know that Chopper is my 14 year old labrador retreiver right?

:chopper

Yep thats me!

I would put Biddle in the rotation before I would Rauch,by next season Rocky's arm should be OK and he does have the best fastball on the staff.

spanishwhite
09-26-2002, 09:58 PM
Haha

I thought chopper was biddle b/c of his chops.

that would be a good nickname for him though.

hold2dibber
09-27-2002, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by spanishwhite
making my head hurt. I love the optimism here, but people...please. You guys are living in a world of make believe. This might work if we had a competent gm such as Cashman, Beane, Sabean. And a cooperative owner such as Steinbrenner.
So let me remind you what are gm's name is=Lenny Williams.

Do we really want Williams to wheel and deal?

I am not going to remind everybody about all the misdealings that
this genius of a gm has done whether they were done in good
faith or not. Add into the fact that there is a limit that we can spend.

So, free agency will probably not happen. Probably a trade such as Lee and Foulke for Thurman, Hitchcock, or Pavano. All pitchers who have shown promise.

I know it sounds crazy but having a rotation of home grown pitchers appeals to me more than RENTING a pitcher for a year or two.

In all honesty, there aren't many FA pitchers this year that excite me. I think Daal could be a decent no. 3 or 4 guy, but I don't know that's what the Sox need.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - the only way this team is going to become a legitimate contender is if at least two of the young pitchers develop into front-of-the-rotation studs.

And as many mistakes as KW has made, there's no way he would trade Lee AND Foulke for any of the guys you mentioned. No way.

Iwritecode
09-27-2002, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by daver
I know you are relatively new here,so you do know that Chopper is my 14 year old labrador retreiver right?

Haha

I thought chopper was biddle b/c of his chops.

that would be a good nickname for him though.

Don't listen to him Daver. I'm sure Chopper would make a fine pitcher. :D:

:KW

Does he work cheap?

duke of dorwood
09-27-2002, 11:29 AM
Rocky has more movement on his ball than anyone. He is a very adequate 5th starter. The thought of a gut wrenching Winter of Williams trades makes me urpy.

No-Neck
09-27-2002, 05:01 PM
The thought of Kenny Williams making trades in the off-season scares the heck out of me. It would be better if he just left things alone, rather than trade the starting pitching we have for a bunch of broken down horses.

Iguana775
09-27-2002, 05:18 PM
would anyone be interested in getting hampton from CO if the price is right?? he was a really good pitcher before going to the pitchers hell in denver. i would think getting out of there would help him regain his form. look how kile did after leaving CO. i know he is getting a lot of money and jerry would never pay it so i know it would never happen but i just wanted to know what people here would think of the idea. i think him and burly would be a pretty good front of the rotation starters. plus he can pinch hit if needed. lol.

voodoochile
09-27-2002, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
would anyone be interested in getting hampton from CO if the price is right?? he was a really good pitcher before going to the pitchers hell in denver. i would think getting out of there would help him regain his form. look how kile did after leaving CO. i know he is getting a lot of money and jerry would never pay it so i know it would never happen but i just wanted to know what people here would think of the idea. i think him and burly would be a pretty good front of the rotation starters. plus he can pinch hit if needed. lol.

My opinion is that they should not make a run at Hampton. Yes, I know his ERA skyrocketed in Denver compared to his earlier career, but having the Sox trade for a pitcher seems to have the same effect, so I would expect to see the Colorado Mike just closer to sea-level if the Sox acquired him. Besides, isn't he making huge $$ with the Rockies (around $15M/year)? I think the Sox would be better served spending that money in the FA market to acquire a Glavine or a Maddux without having to trade anybody...

I think we are plenty stocked on PH/DH types to boot...

:D:

WhiteSox = Life
09-27-2002, 11:43 PM
:KW
"Signing Chopper could put me in the top 30 rankings for best MLB GM."

:reinsy
"You might want to be a little cautious about signing Chopper, Kenny. I know it's difficult to imagine, but you might have some competition over who has his nose in my rear more."