PDA

View Full Version : thomas defense

jortafan
09-26-2002, 07:57 PM
I don't know how relevant this is, but I was among the people who had to show up at the ballpark Thursday for the final home game. I felt the need to be there because I really believe that management will be foolish enough to let Frank Thomas go, and I wanted to see him one more time in a Sox uniform. It was nice to hear the boos put aside when he started off the game by driving in the first run of the game, giving the Sox a quickie lead. But I can't help but wonder how many of those in attendance will remember Frank's final at bat even more (he tried to check his swing but dinked the ball toward first base for an easy ground out). I'm not a Thomas apologist, but I'm not convinced he's finished, and I also think that the guaranteed contract he has is as much a reward for the excellent years he put in during the '90s. He is one of the all-time Sox greats, and the thought of him reaching whatever career milestones he achieves in another uniform makes me nauteous. Even worse, he could feel disrespected, and decide that a Hall of Fame plaque (not totally implausible) would be better off containing another team's logo (a la Carlton Fisk). Sorry, but I needed to get that rant out of my system.

Daver
09-26-2002, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by jortafan
Even worse, he could feel disrespected, and decide that a Hall of Fame plaque (not totally implausible) would be better off containing another team's logo (a la Carlton Fisk). Sorry, but I needed to get that rant out of my system.

No need to apologize,and the HOF no longer lets the player pick which hat he wears,they choose it for him. :redneck

RichH55
09-26-2002, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by daver
No need to apologize,and the HOF no longer lets the player pick which hat he wears,they choose it for him. :redneck

When did that change become official?

Daver
09-26-2002, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
When did that change become official?

Last year,they got fed up with players signing icentive clauses about wearing a certain hat into the HOF.

RichH55
09-26-2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by daver
Last year,they got fed up with players signing icentive clauses about wearing a certain hat into the HOF.

Hey as long as it applies to Wade Boggs Im happy

Daver
09-26-2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Hey as long as it applies to Wade Boggs Im happy

That case was named in particular,so you might want to call it the Wade Boggs Rule.......

DrCrawdad
09-27-2002, 12:49 AM
I was at the game on Wednesday. I was at Opening Day too (along with many in between).

I saw this in Friday's Cubune:

"While Thomas was visibly emotional over the reception he received at the start of the season, he shrugged off Thursday's applause, suggesting it was misguided if its inspiration was in the belief that it was his final at-bat in a Sox uniform."

I watched Frank's last at bat. I didn't take it as a'so-long, we don't want you back,' but as recognizing that there is a possibility that he won't be back next year as a White Sox player. So let's cheer Frank and acknowledge all that he's done in a Sox uniform.

I thought it was really cool.

mrwag
09-27-2002, 08:17 AM
It's gonna be a sad day for White Sox fans if Frank is not in a Sox uniform next year. I remember when Robin Ventura made the announcement that he was leaving the Sox. I don't want to hear that from Frank either.

Gargamelle
09-27-2002, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by mrwag
It's gonna be a sad day for White Sox fans if Frank is not in a Sox uniform next year. I remember when Robin Ventura made the announcement that he was leaving the Sox. I don't want to hear that from Frank either.

I haven't been a Sox fan for as long as a lot of you here (became a Sox fan since I moved to the area a few years ago), but why didn't Robin Ventura stay with the Sox?

Cheryl
09-27-2002, 10:27 AM
Because Reinsdorf wanted him gone. So he offered less money than the Mets offered and after the Mets made the offer.