PDA

View Full Version : .500 Season assured

duke of dorwood
09-26-2002, 03:22 PM
The mediocrity continues. Still seems like an accomplishment for these players with this regime.

cheeses_h_rice
09-26-2002, 03:26 PM
Dang...I didn't even know the Sox were playing a day game. I was all set to watch one tonight.

bc2k
09-26-2002, 03:30 PM
It's still mediocrity, but they put on one hell of a show this past month. We just earned our third year in a row of winning baseball while it has been 30 years since the Cubs have even had 2 consecutive winning seasons.

Keith Foulke earned his 100th White Sox save and Dan Wright pitched a good game. Wright has now won 6 of his last 7 starts and in my opinion has jumped over Jon Garland in the rotation.

The rotation is finally showing some promise. Buehrle, of course, and I like what Wright has been doing and Biddle is earning the #5 spot.

duke of dorwood
09-26-2002, 03:39 PM
But of course, they will go thru Spring Training next year and if we have the same manager, roles will remain undefined.

cheeses_h_rice
09-26-2002, 04:09 PM
Reading a recap of today's game, Maggs homered, which pushes the 2002 Sox above the franchise-record HR total set by our 2000 playoff team.

Huh.

bc2k
09-26-2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Reading a recap of today's game, Maggs homered, which pushes the 2002 Sox above the franchise-record HR total set by our 2000 playoff team.

Huh.

I heard that stat too, and am wondering when the Comiskey fences were moved in. Before the 2001 season?

duke of dorwood
09-26-2002, 04:21 PM
That is correct.

RichH55
09-26-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
But of course, they will go thru Spring Training next year and if we have the same manager, roles will remain undefined.

Different pitching coach than last year though

hold2dibber
09-26-2002, 05:44 PM
It has been fun the last 5 or 6 weeks, but I'm trying like hell not to get too excited about next year. To me, one of the keys has been and will be Jimenez, who has been solid in the leadoff spot. If he flounders, the Sox don't have anyone else who would be serviceable hitting leadoff.

As good as Wright and, to a lesser extent, Garland have been, if the Sox want to contend in '03, they need another good starting pitcher (and I'm praying that they're not counting on Ritchie to be that guy).

Lip Man 1
09-26-2002, 07:04 PM
Folks they haven't had a winning season yet. They still have to win one more game over the weekend. All they are assured of is a non losing season (81-81) since no games are going to get rained out in the Dome.

As far as the term "mediocrity", you get what you pay for.

Lip

RichH55
09-26-2002, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
It has been fun the last 5 or 6 weeks, but I'm trying like hell not to get too excited about next year. To me, one of the keys has been and will be Jimenez, who has been solid in the leadoff spot. If he flounders, the Sox don't have anyone else who would be serviceable hitting leadoff.

As good as Wright and, to a lesser extent, Garland have been, if the Sox want to contend in '03, they need another good starting pitcher (and I'm praying that they're not counting on Ritchie to be that guy).

MOYER....for the 11,000 time

Twins8791
09-26-2002, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

As far as the term "mediocrity", you get what you pay for.

Lip

Unless you are paying for the '02 A's, the '02 Twins...
Of course 40 million is still a lot of money to most of us! :smile:

voodoochile
09-27-2002, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Twins8791
Unless you are paying for the '02 A's, the '02 Twins...
Of course 40 million is still a lot of money to most of us! :smile:

Yeah, occasionally there is a team that comes along and wins a division because of young inexpensive talent. Wait until next year, the Twins will have a hard time keeping all of their talent if they try to keep their payroll that low. Then where will the Twins be? Just where the Sox are, trying to figure out which players to keep, which players to trade and how much they can afford to up their payroll (or so the owner will claim)...

34 Inch Stick
09-27-2002, 12:20 PM
How many players on the Twins are the type that will draw big contracts. They can afford to lose Pierzinski with Mauer in the minors. Rivas and Guzman are good, but hardly in the top 5 at their positions in the league. Torii Hunter and the starting pitching are the only people who would draw serious interest.

By the way I like Moyer but I think we will end up with someone like Trachsell.