PDA

View Full Version : Someone noticed...

doublem23
09-26-2002, 03:27 PM
2. Keith Foulke, White Sox. This one I plant squarely on White Sox manager Jerry Manuel's shoulders. Foulke was atrocious in May (8.10 ERA in 10 innings), but otherwise he has been fine (2.25 ERA in his other months). Manuel basically blamed Foulke for everything that went wrong with the team, and when Foulke returned to excellence, he couldn't buy a save opportunity with an American Express card. Foulke's owners might not care (because he has one save since June 27), but he has a 0.82 ERA in 33 innings since the All-Star break.

from... http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/columns/20020926/insidepitchunpleasantsur.html

duke of dorwood
09-26-2002, 04:01 PM
Just part of the mind games that are White Sox Baseball. This will justify trading his salary after the season.

:jerry

He's too pretty to close games.

I like closing by committee-Osuna, Marte, and Quincy Alexander

MrX
09-26-2002, 04:22 PM
All I can say after reading that article is WOW!!!

Puting Kile at #1 is kind of harsh. This is a list that the author says is of a bunch of guys who didn't deliver for one reason or another. There's a difference between not putting up numbers because you stink, Todd Ritchie, and not putting up numbers becuse you DIE in the middle of the season. This guy might surpass some of the local media in Chicago for being dumb.

voodoochile
09-26-2002, 04:25 PM
Well, he got the save today...

WinningUgly!
09-26-2002, 04:52 PM
4. Todd Ritchie, White Sox. White Sox GM Ken Williams might have cost himself a job by trading Kip Wells and Josh Fogg for this guy. Ritchie was very impressive at times in 2001 and looked like a guy who could easily win 15-20 for the White Sox. Instead, Ritchie put himself on every hitter's Christmas card list after he let the AL hit .318 against him.

Tough to argue with this one. :D:

RichH55
09-26-2002, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Just part of the mind games that are White Sox Baseball. This will justify trading his salary after the season.

:jerry

He's too pretty to close games.

I like closing by committee-Osuna, Marte, and Quincy Alexander

There is a school of thought that by using your best reliever in the 7th inning type game truly on the line situations rather than the earn the save stat by getting 3 outs in the 9th that you actually help your team in the long run, but I doubt thats what Jerry was doing

hold2dibber
09-26-2002, 06:31 PM
I cannot for the life of me figure out what the hell they're doing with Foulke. Are they going to give him a shot as a starter next year? If so, why not give him a start down the stretch this year? Is he going to be the closer - he certainly is the most qualified guy on the staff to be one? If so, why not have him saving games down the stretch? Do you want to trade him? If so, I would think you'd best boost his value by pitching him in save situations to show the world he can still do that job.

I think they're gonna dump him just to shed the salary, which would be utterly disgraceful (but not at all surprising).