dh- F. Thomas
rf- M. Ordonez
1b- P. Konerko
3b- J. Crede
lf- J. Liefer
cf- A. Rowand
c- M. Johnson

sp- M. Buehrle

I think Sox will give Borchard a few months in the minors next year. I see them trading Lee, and Olivo will be the other catcher w/MJ

KempersRS
09-25-2002, 03:45 PM
If Jeff Liefer is your starting left fielder then you have some serious problems. And Rowand your starting centerfielder? MJ starting at catcher? What does this change from this pathetic season?

Lip Man 1
09-25-2002, 03:51 PM
You don't address the serious pitching issues but let's push that aside for the moment.

That lineup as you state will be good for 75-80 wins and a 2nd or 3rd place finish. That's all. The bottom third of the order is basically "out city"

However there is a good chance this will probably be what the Sox trot out. After all they have made it very clear that the payroll is going to be about 45 million next season. That's less then the Royals (47 million) so you figure to get just a more Eastern version of them (with the same mediocre results.)

White Sox baseball 2003: Where only the payroll matters.

Lip

voodoochile
09-25-2002, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS
If Jeff Liefer is your starting left fielder then you have some serious problems. And Rowand your starting centerfielder? MJ starting at catcher? What does this change from this pathetic season?

I totally agree. Leifer has no business on this team except as a LHPH. If he is starting for the Sox next year, everyone is going to wish that we had NOT traded Lee. Lee or Borchard should be the guy out there.

MJ may be the starter on opening day, but I expect Olivo to be the regular catcher next year if he is on the big-league roster.

pudge
09-25-2002, 04:20 PM
I was a serious Lee basher early in the season, and I'll admit it. But with the OBP he has produced, and the amount of walks he's earning lately, I finally have some optimism and excitement about his overall production. I hope he's in LF, and if Rowand is starting in CF that's not all bad, because if he falters, Borchard can come up and replace him.

MJ at catcher hurts. Can we go get Pudge? Heck, even the OLD Pudge might be better.

HawkDJ
09-25-2002, 04:50 PM
I hope we realize taht inexperienced and all, Olivo is our best catcher.

Dadawg_77
09-25-2002, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2

Mark Johnson would be the starter if he is still MB catcher since MB would be our opening day starter.

RichH55
09-26-2002, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by pudge
I was a serious Lee basher early in the season, and I'll admit it. But with the OBP he has produced, and the amount of walks he's earning lately, I finally have some optimism and excitement about his overall production. I hope he's in LF, and if Rowand is starting in CF that's not all bad, because if he falters, Borchard can come up and replace him.

MJ at catcher hurts. Can we go get Pudge? Heck, even the OLD Pudge might be better.

Well if we were to deal Lee you would have to hope a legitimate top of the rotation pitcher was acquited( a legitmate # 2 not Ritchie)....and also that would probably mean that the Sox think LTP is ready to go....so Liefer and Rowand might see some sort of platoon situation

RichH55
09-26-2002, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Mark Johnson would be the starter if he is still MB catcher since MB would be our opening day starter.

MJ can catch MB as long as he wants provided Olivio catchs everyone else....Mark has maybe earned a catcher to himself(hes got to deal with that blackhole in the lineup), but Olivio will be better than MJ even factoring in growing pains

longshot7
09-26-2002, 04:03 AM
I have to echo that other post - if Rowand is our starting centerfielder, I'm going to be REALLY upset.

maurice
09-26-2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by longshot7
I have to echo that other post - if Rowand is our starting centerfielder, I'm going to be REALLY upset.

Okay, I'll bite. Assuming that Borchard starts the year in AAA (which seems like a safe bet at this point, given his lack of discipline at the plate), who would folks like to see as the Sox opening day CF?

Please be specific and name names, rather than answering "anyone other than Rowand."

Daver
09-26-2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Okay, I'll bite. Assuming that Borchard starts the year in AAA (which seems like a safe bet at this point, given his lack of discipline at the plate), who would folks like to see as the Sox opening day CF?

Please be specific and name names, rather than answering "anyone other than Rowand."

Joe Borchard.

You don't learn how to hit MLB pitching without facing it.

MarkEdward
09-26-2002, 04:58 PM

From the Free Agent pool:

1. Rickey Henderson- I don't care that he hasn't played CF since 1999, I want him on the Sox! He'll come pretty cheap too.
2. Steve Finley- He'll probably be too expensive, though.

Through a trade:

1. Jacque Jones or Bobby Keilty- Jones can easily make the transition from LF to CF.
2. Carlos Beltran- We'd have to give up a lot, and he will be expensive to keep.

Or we could stick with Borchard.

RichH55
09-26-2002, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
From the Free Agent pool:

1. Rickey Henderson- I don't care that he hasn't played CF since 1999, I want him on the Sox! He'll come pretty cheap too.
2. Steve Finley- He'll probably be too expensive, though.

Through a trade:

1. Jacque Jones or Bobby Keilty- Jones can easily make the transition from LF to CF.
2. Carlos Beltran- We'd have to give up a lot, and he will be expensive to keep.

Or we could stick with Borchard.

Rickey would be an interesting option especially with the lack of a true leadoff hitter....but there is no reason to make a big deal for a CF like Jones or Beltran.....spend the capital we have(both player wise and money wise) on areas of true concern rather than an area where we are simply waiting, not hurting

hold2dibber
09-26-2002, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by daver
Joe Borchard.

:crede

"Says who?"

maurice
09-26-2002, 06:42 PM
Joe Borchard.

Play nice. The question said, "[a]ssuming that Borchard starts the year in AAA." I think that's a safe bet at this point, especially considering the way the Sox dragged their feet on Crede.

You must admit that Borchard's swing has some serious holes. He's currently batting .219, having struck out 13 times (with only one walk) in 32 ABs. At AAA this year, he batted .272 while striking out 139 times in only 438 ABs. The Sox probably will insist that he do better in half a year at AAA before bringing him back up.

True, but surely minor league ABs are worth something. Otherwise, teams would start all of their top hitting prospects in the show.

You'll recall that my question was a response to folks who object to Rowand starting in CF at the beggining of next season. The Sox are exceptionaly unlikely to sign or trade for a top-notch (and expensive) substitute, especially if they plan on playing Borchard in CF by the end of 2003. The only in-house alternative is Harris, and his major league numbers are worse than Rowand's.

Daver
09-26-2002, 06:48 PM
[ The only in-house alternative is Harris, and his major league numbers are worse than Rowand's.

I would rather watch Borchard struggle at the plate and play solid CF as opposed to watcing Aaron struggle at the plate and get a lousy jump on every fly ball hit at him.

The Sox used the sink or swim method with Robin Ventura,it worked,there is no reason it cannot happen again,and Borchard is a much better pure athlete than Robin was.

If Rowand is the starting CFer for the Sox next season they have big problems.

doublem23
09-26-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2

That's no excuse to rush him.

voodoochile
09-26-2002, 07:02 PM
I would rather watch Borchard struggle at the plate and play solid CF as opposed to watcing Aaron struggle at the plate and get a lousy jump on every fly ball hit at him.

The Sox used the sink or swim method with Robin Ventura,it worked,there is no reason it cannot happen again,and Borchard is a much better pure athlete than Robin was.

If Rowand is the starting CFer for the Sox next season they have big problems.

I disagree. I am not a huge Rowand fan, but his numbers have been solid for a 7th or 8th hitter and he has played a solid CF. No, I don't want him to play there long term, but it would probably be better for Bazooka Joe to get some more PT in AAA and work on shortening his swing. They should wait until he is on a hot streak and bring him up then...