PDA

View Full Version : ESPN on Jeter

maurice
09-25-2002, 01:34 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/klapisch_bob/1435884.html

Another negative article on Jeter, this time criticising his offensive production. Past ESPN articles have criticized his defense. This is a surprising trend, considering the media's heavy pro-NY bias, and I haven't heard similar criticism from elsewhere.

OTOH, I have to agree. If I hear another "journalist" talk/write about a "holy trinity" of AL shortstops which includes Jeter but excludes Tejada, I think I'm gonna puke. The bottom line is that the AL has one unbelievably good all-around SS (A-Rod), two really good all-around SSs (Nomar and Tejada), and then there's a BIG dropoff to the other, just-plain-good SSs (Jeter, Vizquel, etc.)

WinningUgly!
09-25-2002, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by maurice
http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/klapisch_bob/1435884.html

Another negative article on Jeter, this time criticising his offensive production. Past ESPN articles have criticized his defense. This is a surprising trend, considering the media's heavy pro-NY bias, and I haven't heard similar criticism from elsewhere.

OTOH, I have to agree. If I hear another "journalist" talk/write about a "holy trinity" of AL shortstops which includes Jeter but excludes Tejada, I think I'm gonna puke. The bottom line is that the AL has one unbelievably good all-around SS (A-Rod), two really good all-around SSs (Nomar and Tejada), and then there's a BIG dropoff to the other, just-plain-good SSs (Jeter, Vizquel, etc.)

There's no doubt that A-Rod is in his own league. I'd rank Tejada 2nd now, ahead of Nomar & his history of injuries. Jeter is a big game player & seems to have the knack to make the big play when needed, be it with the bat or glove. He's still a great SS, even though I think he's more suited for 3B...but the "Big 3" are now A-Rod, Tejada & Nomar.

RichH55
09-26-2002, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
There's no doubt that A-Rod is in his own league. I'd rank Tejada 2nd now, ahead of Nomar & his history of injuries. Jeter is a big game player & seems to have the knack to make the big play when needed, be it with the bat or glove. He's still a great SS, even though I think he's more suited for 3B...but the "Big 3" are now A-Rod, Tejada & Nomar.

But you have to have the best defensive SS in the world to win the Series! You just have to!