PDA

View Full Version : Quote Of The Day

Lip Man 1
09-25-2002, 02:02 AM
"You notice year in and year out, Boston always spends the money and tries to get top-notch players to compete"-Bobby Howry

Sigh.....if only.....

Lip

34 Inch Stick
09-25-2002, 08:06 AM
The problem is Boston and Chicago are in nearly identical positions as far as baseball goes over the last 100 years. I think we need to shoot for something a little higher than Boston.

voodoochile
09-25-2002, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
The problem is Boston and Chicago are in nearly identical positions as far as baseball goes over the last 100 years. I think we need to shoot for something a little higher than Boston.

Like signing the "correct" top-notch players (so we can) compete.

Boston for all their bells and whistles continues to self-destruct every year in the late Summer early Fall. I don't want to trade payrolls so we can "compete". I want to increase payroll properly so the Sox can compete in the post-season...

duke of dorwood
09-25-2002, 11:43 AM
He's hoping they keep him and they wont trade him to Tampa or Montreal.

:walk

I love it when I analyze

Lip Man 1
09-25-2002, 11:47 AM
I couldn't care less if the Sox spent money signing the seven dwarfs.

Just the fact that they decided to spend money would be a revelation. Spend enough of it and sooner or later you'll get it right (i.e. Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn now and again...). If you don't spend ANYTHING and then continue to moan about lack of fan support, you'll NEVER win.

By the way, last night watching the WGN Sports, Dan Rohn statrted the Sox highlights with a sign some fans had saying "Since you're not going to the playoffs, how about taking us out to dinner?" Rohn's comment was "Naw, it's probably not in the budget..."

RichH55
09-25-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
"You notice year in and year out, Boston always spends the money and tries to get top-notch players to compete"-Bobby Howry

Sigh.....if only.....

Lip

Bobby Howry, student of the game, Boston World Champions....is that the same team that was/is carrying the salaries of Mike Lansing, Jose Offerman, Tony Clark, Rich Garces, overspent for Manny R., etc? This is not the model of a franschise I want...Spending to spend, buying FA to deal with the failings from the last failures....Would smart drafting and signing key core guys long term be too much to ask? There are but a handfull of quality orgs. out there...I dont think Boston makes that list