PDA

View Full Version : Sammy's "Home Run" On Saturday

34 Inch Stick
09-23-2002, 10:09 AM
He hit the ball and did the hop... but the ball did not go out. He was held to a single on a ball that hit the fence, yet no one called him out on it. The news didn't even note that he was 3 bases shy of the mark and almost injured his team in a close game.

I don't get outraged anymore about Sammy or the world's reaction. I just kind of accept it and laugh to myself.

cheeses_h_rice
09-23-2002, 10:47 AM
:shammy

(500) I (500) have (500) no (500) idea what (500) you're (500) talkin' (500) about...! I have (500) nothing on (500) my mind (500) but getting (500) the big (500) W for (500) my Cubbies!

Vsahajpal
09-23-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
The news didn't even note that he was 3 bases shy of the mark and almost injured his team in a close game.

Almost injured his team? The 2 RBI single in question knocked in the game winning run (and added an insurance run) With 2 outs, McGriff grounded out the next AB to end the inning.

34 Inch Stick
09-23-2002, 04:35 PM
How have the Cubs relievers done at holding leads this year? With Farnsworth and Alfonseca a two run lead is not a safe lead. He would have had an easy double and with the throw going to the plate, may have made it to third. I said almost for a reason. I don't think you would want to be in the position of defending Sammy on the play.

RKMeibalane
09-23-2002, 10:12 PM
What's really sad about this situation is that Sosa's career homerun total is higher than his team's winning percentage. I will never understand why he feels the need to celebrate every homerun. Does Frank Thomas do this? No. Does Barry Bonds? Mike Piazza? Alex Rodriguez?

If your team is losing 8-1, a homerun means nothing. Nothing. Sosa behaves as though his team has just won the World Series every time that ball leaves his bat and travels near the outfield fence. He makes me sick.

WinningUgly!
09-23-2002, 11:34 PM
I hope he gets #500 before the season is over. I don't think I can stomach an offseason filled with talk about how SamME is "chasing history" from all the Cubbie Kool-aid drinking dilrods.

Iwritecode
09-24-2002, 10:53 AM
Article yesterday from the Tribune by Phil Rogers (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-0209230145sep23,0,7553881.column?coll=cs%2Dhome%2D headlines)

Looks like if the Cubs ever want to get to the WS, they need to get rid of one player...

Why are you looking at me?

bc2k
09-24-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
I hope he gets #500 before the season is over. I don't think I can stomach an offseason filled with talk about how SamME is "chasing history" from all the Cubbie Kool-aid drinking dilrods.

Not only that WU, but if he hits #500 next April, the Cubbie propaganda machine will churn out reports on how 2003 is the "magical" year for the Cubs. Sammy saved his 500th for this magical, World Series for the Cubs. But I guess we already put up with that baseless kool-aid every year.

RichH55
09-24-2002, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Article yesterday from the Tribune by Phil Rogers

Looks like if the Cubs ever want to get to the WS, they need to get rid of one player...

Why are you looking at me?

I thought when they were looking to deal him it was the best thing for the team....Nick Johnson and Jimenez if i recall and I think Ted Lilly thrown in for good measure........Could have helped....the cubs just seem to make the wrong moves it seems....

cheeses_h_rice
09-24-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
I thought when they were looking to deal him it was the best thing for the team....Nick Johnson and Jimenez if i recall and I think Ted Lilly thrown in for good measure........Could have helped....the cubs just seem to make the wrong moves it seems....

Because in Sham-ME's case, they were so gun-shy about making a bad trade they got really greedy and asked for 5 players from the Yanks. They'd rather have the Big Superstar Who Hits Home Runs than a less flashy but winning team, I guess.

WinningUgly!
09-24-2002, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
Not only that WU, but if he hits #500 next April, the Cubbie propaganda machine will churn out reports on how 2003 is the "magical" year for the Cubs. Sammy saved his 500th for this magical, World Series for the Cubs. But I guess we already put up with that baseless kool-aid every year.

#500 by Sammy would be a nice exclamation point on 2002-another classic sCrUBBY season....SamME's 500th career HR, McWhiff becomes 1st player in MLB history to hit 30 HR in a season with 5 different clubs, the 1st coming of "Jesus" Prior, the start of the Bruce Kimm era, sCrUBS finish 15th overall in NL (coulda been worse:D:)