PDA

View Full Version : Twins

doublem23
09-22-2002, 10:17 PM
After watching the Twins just get the crap kicked out of them this series by the Sox, how do you think they will do in the play-offs this year???

I say, done in first round. Anaheim, Oakland, and New York all got to be licking their chops.

Soxheads
09-22-2002, 10:35 PM
I say they lose the pennant in six. Write it down.

HawkDJ
09-22-2002, 10:51 PM
Looks like they will be playing Oakland in the playoffs, and they are no match for Oakland. I'd expect a sweep.

cheeses_h_rice
09-22-2002, 10:54 PM
I can't vote because of browser compatability problems, but put me down for one vote for an early exit; I say they lose the ALDS to the A's in 4.

duke of dorwood
09-22-2002, 10:55 PM
Sweep-they are awful against left handers

Nellie_Fox
09-23-2002, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Sweep-they are awful against left handers Yep. If your Aunt Mazie throws leftie, trot her out against the Twins and you've got a shot. It looks like it will be the A's, and I see a sweep.

WinningUgly!
09-23-2002, 12:40 AM
They are reminding me an awful lot of our Sox in 2000, after clinching. They are gonna carry this right into the postseason & will be lucky to steal a single game.

ma-gaga
09-23-2002, 02:42 AM
:)

doublem23
09-23-2002, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by ma-gaga

I wonder....

:D:

FarmerAndy
09-23-2002, 12:39 PM
The Twins will lose in the ALDS in 5 games. The home team will win every game.

The Twins have never lost a post season game in the dome. Visiting teams have a hard time in that place. I don't see the Twins winning a game in Oakland though.

If the Twins had landed the home field advantage, they could've advanced. But that's not the case, so they'll be out in the first round.

Iwritecode
09-23-2002, 12:40 PM

Well, at least you posted something when you voted. The other Twinkie fan that roams around here obviously voted already too.

:cool:

ma-gaga
09-23-2002, 02:16 PM
I think the Twins are the underdog in every possible post-season matchup, but they have a shot if their pitching locks down and holds up. Oaklands starting pitching is the best, Anaheim's bullpen is awesome, but I'd say the Twins top to bottom is better overall, and that gives them a chance.

They've played better against the playoff teams than anyone will give them credit for. If you only look at the final score, they are only 3-6 against Oakland. 7 of those games were decided by 2 runs and after the 7th inning. There were two 6-0 beatings, one by each team.

Their record against the Yankees is 4 months old. I don't have a good idea of how well they'd matchup against them. Regardless, I'm positive that the Yankees won't make it to the WS, much less past Anaheim.

I think Oakland has the best shot at the WS. But I think the Twins have a much better shot against them then anyone will acknowledge.

Of course after the beatings administrated by the Sox last weekend, I don't blame those questioning the Twinks chances...

voodoochile
09-23-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Well, at least you posted something when you voted. The other Twinkie fan that roams around here obviously voted already too.

:cool:

No, the other WS winner vote was probably JM...

Iwritecode
09-23-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

I thought about that, but IIRC, Jerry kept saying that they would beat out the Sox for the division, which they did. I'm not sure about his feelings on their post-season chances.

Iwritecode
09-23-2002, 02:32 PM
I think the Twins are the underdog in every possible post-season matchup, but they have a shot if their pitching locks down and holds up. Oaklands starting pitching is the best, Anaheim's bullpen is awesome, but I'd say the Twins top to bottom is better overall, and that gives them a chance.

They've played better against the playoff teams than anyone will give them credit for. If you only look at the final score, they are only 3-6 against Oakland. 7 of those games were decided by 2 runs and after the 7th inning. There were two 6-0 beatings, one by each team.

Their record against the Yankees is 4 months old. I don't have a good idea of how well they'd matchup against them. Regardless, I'm positive that the Yankees won't make it to the WS, much less past Anaheim.

I think Oakland has the best shot at the WS. But I think the Twins have a much better shot against them then anyone will acknowledge.

Of course after the beatings administrated by the Sox last weekend, I don't blame those questioning the Twinks chances...

I remember having thoughts like this just two short years ago... Ah memories of the good ole days... :whiner:

Well, I guess this is baseball and anything can happen. Especially in the post-season. I guess all we can really do is throw the regular season records out the window and wait to see what happens.

Jerry_Manuel
09-23-2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Originally posted by Iwritecode
I thought about that, but IIRC, Jerry kept saying that they would beat out the Sox for the division, which they did. I'm not sure about his feelings on their post-season chances.

I don't vote in polls here.

I have no other thoughts on Minnesota.

Twins8791
09-24-2002, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy

The Twins have never lost a post season game in the dome.

They lost to Toronto once in the ALCS in '91.

They were also underdogs in '91. And '87.

They can lose in three straight. Or they could win it all again.
But that's not the way to bet, if you're using your own money.
I'd say anything more than an ALDS loss in 5 would be gravy.
It won't be because the pitching is tired, since half the staff has been injured this season at various times. The home field advantage is there, but the Twins beat the A's 2 of three in Oakland a month ago, and lost a series at home. So I hope for good baseball and long series, because I have tickets! :smile:

P.S. I suspect the sweep was a GOOD thing, since it may convince your leadership to play the pat hand with the pitching staff next season!

voodoochile
09-24-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Twins8791
They lost to Toronto once in the ALCS in '91.

They were also underdogs in '91. And '87.

They can lose in three straight. Or they could win it all again.
But that's not the way to bet, if you're using your own money.
I'd say anything more than an ALDS loss in 5 would be gravy.
It won't be because the pitching is tired, since half the staff has been injured this season at various times. The home field advantage is there, but the Twins beat the A's 2 of three in Oakland a month ago, and lost a series at home. So I hope for good baseball and long series, because I have tickets! :smile:

P.S. I suspect the sweep was a GOOD thing, since it may convince your leadership to play the pat hand with the pitching staff next season!

Barring a major paradigm shift in the front office, that is the way things were going anyway, so it is at least better that the pitchers are starting to show some signs of maturing and consistency, because like it or not, that is what Sox fans are seeing next year and you can bank on that fact. The major question they are going to answer in the off-season is:

Should they start Rauch in AAA or the majors?
If yes, Rocky, Glover or Ritchie for spot #5?
If no, does Glover return to the bullpen?
How much can they get for Foulke?
How cheap can they sign Buehrle long term for?

Don't look for any big off-season pitching acquisitions, imo. Sox tried it twice these last two years and got burned twice. JR is going to tell KW to cool it for a while and actually, it is probably the best advice he can get unless they spend big in the FA market (I kill me...)

Soxheads
10-19-2002, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Soxheads
I say they lose the pennant in six. Write it down.

Well now, who now owns you all?

Only off by one game.