PDA

View Full Version : Request for moratorium on the use of the word "Tinker"

Bucktown
09-22-2002, 08:13 PM
Isn't this the time of year that you should be getting guys in the lineup and get a chance to evaluate where they may fit next year? I think this was a legit issue when we were in the race, but now it may no lnger be a true concern.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-22-2002, 08:48 PM
If you mean giving the kids an extra long look, I totally agree. However, that's not what I perceive Manuel doing. He is moving them all over the place between different positions and different spots in the lineup.

There is a limit to the amount of evaluation that can be done with this kind of constant movement. Manuel ought to have a clue what role each player can potentially play. Instead, he keeps playing "what if" scenarios. That' b.s. I don't believe he's able to evaluate one damned thing with all these day-to-day changes.

The net result of this will be more "what if" scenarios next March, and (worse) no good strategy for utilizing personnel next April. Manuel needs to be told to knock it off.

:KW
"Of course some of the tinkering is probably my idea. Jerry is just the fall guy."

rmusacch
09-22-2002, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
If you mean giving the kids an extra long look, I totally agree. However, that's not what I perceive Manuel doing. He is moving them all over the place between different positions and different spots in the lineup.

There is a limit to the amount of evaluation that can be done with this kind of constant movement. Manuel ought to have a clue what role each player can potentially play. Instead, he keeps playing "what if" scenarios. That' b.s. I don't believe he's able to evaluate one damned thing with all these day-to-day changes.

The net result of this will be more "what if" scenarios next March, and (worse) no good strategy for utilizing personnel next April. Manuel needs to be told to knock it off.

:KW
"Of course some of the tinkering is probably my idea. Jerry is just the fall guy."

I do not understand why he is not trying to get Borchard in the lineup as much as possible. They should be evaluating him like they are evaluating Olivo. Olivo should be in the lineup every day.

hold2dibber
09-23-2002, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by rmusacch
I do not understand why he is not trying to get Borchard in the lineup as much as possible. They should be evaluating him like they are evaluating Olivo. Olivo should be in the lineup every day.

Williams has already said that they plan to do with Borchard just what they did with Crede. And their use of Borchard this Sept. certainly suggests that as well. They want him up here to get a feel for what its like to be on the big league team, they'll get him a few at bats per week, then they'll have him in Charlotte for at least the first few months of next season to see what kind of progress he's made in terms of plate discipline.

Dadawg_77
09-23-2002, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Williams has already said that they plan to do with Borchard just what they did with Crede. And their use of Borchard this Sept. certainly suggests that as well. They want him up here to get a feel for what its like to be on the big league team, they'll get him a few at bats per week, then they'll have him in Charlotte for at least the first few months of next season to see what kind of progress he's made in terms of plate discipline.

That may be the best possible way to handle Borchard. Make sure he is absolutely ready to succeed at the next level before moving him. Also Olivo looks to be getting the most of the time behind the plate, but catchers don't usually catch everyday.

Also you shouldn't base any evauluations entirely on what people do in the spring or fall.

hold2dibber
09-23-2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
That may be the best possible way to handle Borchard. Make sure he is absolutely ready to succeed at the next level before moving him. Also Olivo looks to be getting the most of the time behind the plate, but catchers don't usually catch everyday.

Also you shouldn't base any evauluations entirely on what people do in the spring or fall.

Agreed on all counts - I think Borchard needs more AAA seasoning. Let's see if he can pound the ball there like Crede did this year before subjecting him to MLB pitching on a daily basis. I'm not yet sure about Olivo; I feel confident he'll be better than Johnson or Paul in the long run, but I'm always leery of rushing guys, so I'd tend to err on the side of caution with him

WinningUgly!
09-23-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

"We must free your mind of the evil, tinkering demons that are controlling you."
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/winningugly/healJM.JPG

"Amen!!!!"
:ohno

ode to veeck
09-23-2002, 02:17 PM
great graphic

RichH55
09-23-2002, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Agreed on all counts - I think Borchard needs more AAA seasoning. Let's see if he can pound the ball there like Crede did this year before subjecting him to MLB pitching on a daily basis. I'm not yet sure about Olivo; I feel confident he'll be better than Johnson or Paul in the long run, but I'm always leery of rushing guys, so I'd tend to err on the side of caution with him

When the options are MJ and Paul...patience is perhaps a little less of a virtue than normal

RKMeibalane
09-23-2002, 09:07 PM
The reason that word is still used is because Manuel continues to change the lineup every day. I can understand making the occasion change. After all, the Sox have nothing to play for, and they do have several young players with the team, but players are going from one game to the next having no clue where they will be playing, or even if they are playing in the first place. This is why I make so much fun of Manuel for tinkering with the lineup.