PDA

View Full Version : Old habits die hard

Jerry_Manuel
09-22-2002, 03:19 PM
From the Trib:

Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf's speech last month ripping his players for lack of effort apparently hasn't sunk in with everyone. Frank Thomas was not in the lineup Saturday and spent the game inside the clubhouse rather than on the bench with his teammates.

Thomas was criticized by some teammates in July when he skipped pregame stretching and spent the game inside the clubhouse after being benched by Manuel

PaleHoseGeorge
09-22-2002, 03:30 PM
Can Frank Thomas do ANYTHING right?

Jeez, just sit on the bench and spit sunflower seeds. Nobody would even give a damned. They might even think you were a team player.

:hitless
"Just make sure you're still wearing spikes."

:jerry
"Allegedly."

RKMeibalane
09-22-2002, 05:54 PM
This is all we need. Thomas has once again given Moronotti the opportunity to "spin his wheels." Expect the usual anti-Frank crap in tomorrow's paper.

LauraJ14
09-22-2002, 11:33 PM
I watched the game and I know I saw Thomas on the bench
talking to his teammates. Unless my eyes were deceivng me!!!

Kilroy
09-23-2002, 12:09 AM
I'm sorry, but w/ september callups, the bench tends to get a bit crowded. And furthermore, Thomas isn't the only one who doesnt sit on the bench for the entire game. I'd think anyone who's been to a few games would know this, but I guess not. Thomas is simply the only one who gets singled out and criticized for it. Thursday night, I was at the game, and Magglio did not play. I don't recall seeing him on the bench at all. We sat just behind the KC on-deck area, so we could see the Sox dugout clearly. Borchard was not in the game to start, and he was not in the dugout until the 5th or 6th. Same thing on Tuesday for Konerko. He came out in about the 8th, but was gone again later.
We sat in about the same seats both nights.

This is a NON STORY that will get overblown because it's about Frank. Such utter B.S...

DVG
09-23-2002, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
I'm sorry, but w/ september callups, the bench tends to get a bit crowded. And furthermore, Thomas isn't the only one who doesnt sit on the bench for the entire game. I'd think anyone who's been to a few games would know this, but I guess not. Thomas is simply the only one who gets singled out and criticized for it. Thursday night, I was at the game, and Magglio did not play. I don't recall seeing him on the bench at all. We sat just behind the KC on-deck area, so we could see the Sox dugout clearly. Borchard was not in the game to start, and he was not in the dugout until the 5th or 6th. Same thing on Tuesday for Konerko. He came out in about the 8th, but was gone again later.
We sat in about the same seats both nights.

This is a NON STORY that will get overblown because it's about Frank. Such utter B.S...

I say we tar and feather him!!! Even that's too good for him!!!!
He should be shot by a firing squad consisting of those guardians
of purity, the chicago sportswiters!!!!

:moron

Where's my rifle???!!!

Nellie_Fox
09-23-2002, 01:29 AM
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think they have a batting cage inside. Would you rather have Frank sitting on the bench spitting sunflower seeds, or in the back working on his swing in case he's needed?

Frank has been "Frank" again for pretty much all of September. I'm looking forward to him putting up MVP type numbers next year. Even having an "awful" year by Frank standards, he still has a legitimate shot at 30 HR and 100 RBI this year.

Bisco Stu
09-23-2002, 01:50 AM
The greatest player in franchise history gets treated worse than Dick Allen did in Chi.

Kilroy
09-23-2002, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Even having an "awful" year by Frank standards, he still has a legitimate shot at 30 HR and 100 RBI this year.

His season is so awful, that 65% of the rest of the players in the league would trade their numbers for his without a second thought...

duke of dorwood
09-23-2002, 08:43 AM
It's sad that readers actually believe biased reporters with axes to grind. I dont spend the entire day in my department at work, doesn't mean I'm not part of what's going on. GEEZ !!!!!!!!!!!

hold2dibber
09-23-2002, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Can Frank Thomas do ANYTHING right?

Jeez, just sit on the bench and spit sunflower seeds. Nobody would even give a damned. They might even think you were a team player.

This story is complete b.s. In today's Trib, Frank says he was back and forth between the clubhouse and the dugout all game. Manuel said he doesn't care if guys are in the clubhouse as long as they're doing something constructive (in the cages, etc.) and not just eating BBQ.

I'm the first to admit that Frank has stuck his foot in his mouth and made lots of mistakes in terms of PR during his career, but it'salso clear to me that the media is locked, cocked and trigger happy when it comes to Big Frank bashing. He's an easy target for them and they're ready to nail him at a moment's notice for any perceived indiscretion.