PDA

View Full Version : Gammons Column $$$ Owners

Lip Man 1
09-22-2002, 01:56 PM
From Peter Gammons column on ESPN.com Sunday:

Money matters

"Murray Chass of the New York Times last weekend noted that Carl Pohlad was bitterly disappointed that contraction is off the table and that he cannot collect a buyout from Major League Baseball to fold the Twins. In a related story, the new issue of Forbes Magazine lists Pohlad as the 88th wealthiest person in the United States at an approximate worth of $2 billion. According to Forbes, Pohlad reaped $1 billion selling assets to Wells-Fargo this year and the owner of the money-losing Minnesota Twins, wants taxpayers to pay for a new stadium. And there's constant talk that even after their tremendous season that the club will have to let some arbitration eligible (Doug Mientkiewicz, Jacque Jones) or contracted (Eric Milton, Everyday Eddie Guardardo) go to keep the payroll down, per order of Mr. Pohlad.

Forbes Baseball List
Rupert Murdoch (Dodgers) $5.0 billion, 28th
Carl Pohlad (Twins) $2 billion, 88th
Drayton McLane (Astros) $1.1 billion, 188th
John Moores (Padres) $740 million, 329th
Tom Hicks (Rangers) $725 million, 332nd
Carl Lindner (Reds) $675 million, 350th
Tom Werner (Red Sox) $600 million, 368th
Mike Ilitch (Tigers) $575 million, 381st

Fans in Cincinnati might take note of Lindner, who refused to allow any additional payroll even though the Reds were in contention at the trading deadline. As for Ilitch, remember, at one point during the season there was speculation raised by Bud Selig about the Tigers' ability to meet payroll. Moores, Hicks, Pohlad and McLane were four of the hardest of the hard liners in labor negotiations, all in favor of a work stoppage. "

Yea those "small market" owners really needed more revenue sharing money didn't they? Another joke pulled off on those misguided baseball fans who supported the owners in this last labor go round. The reality is, they've got the $$$, they just don't want to spend it! (sounds a lot like a certain owner on the South Side doesn't it?)

Lip

RKMeibalane
09-22-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The reality is, they've got the $$$, they just don't want to spend it! (sounds a lot like a certain owner on the South Side doesn't it?)

:reinsy

"You're damn right I've got the money! It's your fault I don't spend it. If you come the park, I might be persuaded to accquire a free-agent or two, but you people don't seem interested in supporting the Sox. None of you have made a committment to me, so why should I make a committment to winning? Hahahaha!"

Chisoxfn
09-22-2002, 06:45 PM
Mike Ilitch (Tigers) $575 million, 381st

Before you say how much money he has, you have to take note that he owns Little Ceasars Pizza and he lost a ton of money when Kmart went broke and closes a ton of stores down. Little Caesars was in a ton of Kmarts and they did a lot of business in them and ended up losing a lot of money.

Bucktown
09-22-2002, 08:10 PM
This is the opportunity for me to do some name dropping. Here I am with #391 (http://www.forbes.com/richlist2002/LIR2946.html?passListId=54&passYear=2002&passListType=Person&uniqueId=2946&datatype=Person) from that list. He came to visit me in Wisconsin and I bought him this cheesehead (for the guy that has everything).