PDA

View Full Version : my visit to Miller Park

cheeses_h_rice
09-22-2002, 02:20 PM
Me and the wife headed up to Cheeseville yesterday for a chance to see the Brewers lose their franchise-record 100th game vs. the Giants. We joined up with another couple with our $12 upper deck seats and headed over. Traffic into the parking lots was 100x improved vs. our visit in 2000, the last year of County Stadium, when a lack of proper roads and lack of properly trained staff resulted in a 45-minute death march into the lots.

In a word, Miller Park is enormous from the outside, due to the huge, arched tiers of its movable roof. I liked the walk into the park, crossing over a little ravine as you approach the stadium's outfield area. We decided to go around to the very front of the park to get a view of most of the outside, and it appears that the Brewers folks crossed every "t" in the book as far as having shops, restaurants, outdoor food/beer tents, etc. Entering the stadium, you feel like you're heading into a large indoor stadium, with just a sliver's view of the field in front of you, and shops-a-plenty all around you. Everything was super clean and nice and new; it felt a bit sterile yet probably comforting for your average family.

We headed up 2 levels of escalators for our seats that were midway up the UD on the 1B side. The UD is not quite as steep as Comiskey, and with the 4 tiers of seats (vs. Comiskey's three tiers, which includes the very small 300-level) there aren't nearly as many rows in the top level of seats, so it seemed less intimidating. Sight lines were comparable to Comiskey. Looking around, Miller Park is crammed full of scoreboards, signs, and of course, Bernie Brewer perched up on his tower. Miller's scoreboard was THE thing that makes Comiskey look a bit passe. They have an enormous video screen with the best clarity I have ever seen at a sporting event -- it was like HDTV or something. When someone comes to the plate, all the player's stats are right there underneath his photo -- no having to scan 2 different places to find out what he's done this year and earlier in the game. When the Giants had 2 guys up in the 'pen, I looked up and in the bottom right corner, it showed who was warming and whether they were lefty or righty. The only things "missing" were the pitch speeds (shown on a smaller scoreboard on the 3B and 1B sides) and the results of other games that day (NL scores are on the left field wall, and AL scores on the RF wall -- tough to read depending where you sit). Also, on a Giants grounder to the SS, he made a bad throw and Sexson couldn't handle it, but the scoreboard never said who the error was attributed to.

Last night was Fan Appreciation Night, but they made everyone stay an hour after the game in order to give away the final 10 prizes, including a 2002 Mustang. What a joke -- everyone around us was grumbling and groaning as they had to wait 2 full minutes for the winner of each prize to come down and personally pick it up. Must. Milk. Promotion. For. All. It's. Worth. Reinsdorf would have been proud.

Anyway, as far as value, I thought that at least with our cheap seats, it was a slightly better value than Comiskey. $6 parking is the biggest savings; food and drink are comparably priced. But, I believe that the nice seats at Miller are a lot higher than Comiskey.

As far as quality of baseball, the Brewers are just awful. I guess I'll stick with the Sox, for the time being. But I must say, going to see a game in April or when it's raining would seem a LOT more enticing knowing there's a closeable roof up above -- probably the biggest advantage this park has over Comiskey.

Except for that scoreboard.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-22-2002, 02:33 PM
I hope to see a game there sometime next year. I was a big fan of County Stadium, and was sorry when they announced they were tearing it down. Everything with new stadiums these days needs to be gold-plated. I miss County Stadium's corrugated tin. :smile:

FWIW, Comiskey has five decks. That's why the upper deck is so high.

Level 1 main concourse
Level 2 Diamond Suites
Level 3 Club level, pressbox, and Stadium Club
Level 4 Diamond Suites
Level 5 Upper Deck

Reinsdorf just had to have two decks of Diamond Suites. The extra revenue was what was going to make the White Sox into champions, remember? Whatever happened to that?

Ah the lies just keep piling up...

Jerry_Manuel
09-22-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
But I must say, going to see a game in April or when it's raining would seem a LOT more enticing knowing there's a closeable roof up above -- probably the biggest advantage this park has over Comiskey.

The roof leaks.

cheeses_h_rice
09-22-2002, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
FWIW, Comiskey has five decks. That's why the upper deck is so high.

Level 1 main concourse
Level 2 Diamond Suites
Level 3 Club level, pressbox, and Stadium Club
Level 4 Diamond Suites
Level 5 Upper Deck

Miller's configuration is:

1. Main concourse
2. Suites / pressbox
3. Second concourse
4. Second level of suites
5. Upper deck lower level
6. Upper deck upper level

At least that's how it appeared to me. I seem to recall passing just 2 sets of suites on the way up.

They also have a Stadium Club-type restaurant in left field. They didn't miss a step, it appears ('cept for the leaky roof!).

MarqSox
09-22-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
The roof leaks.

I'll vouch for that! I got SOAKED at the Home Run Derby.

Also, I have to disagree with cheeses about the sight-lines. Absolutely awful. Some of the seats are fine, but many are not ... for example, if you sit in the lower bleachers in right field, you can't see ANY of center field at all, some of right, and the scoreboard is completely obscured. It's so bad they actually pipe the radio broadcast to those seats. Also, many seats in the top deck obscure the outfield corners.

All in all, nice park, but I'll take Comiskey over Miller any day of the week.

MarqSox
09-22-2002, 04:43 PM
Oh yeah, and the "VIP" seats that would be $30 at Comiskey are $75 at Miller. Yes, I do mean $75!

RichH55
09-22-2002, 07:01 PM
I liked Miller when I visited, but I didnt think it was anything to write home about. A nice park and Im glad I got to see the Suasage race, beats the hell out of flying pizzas.....Damn you flying pizzas!

Bucktown
09-22-2002, 09:22 PM
I think the best deal at Miller Park is the TGIF tables in the leftfield concourse. For $250 you can get a table for for and watch the game. Great spot for home runs and you are right above the bullpen.

Procol Harum
09-23-2002, 12:33 AM
Don't forget the ever-popular "Rally Rabbit!"

Cheryl
09-23-2002, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
They also have a Stadium Club-type restaurant in left field.

It's a Bennigan's, or maybe a Friday's, I forget which. It's open year round. I spent New Year's Eve there. A completely forgettable fern bar, except it's inside the ballpark.

steff
09-23-2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Cheryl
It's a Bennigan's, or maybe a Friday's, I forget which. It's open year round. I spent New Year's Eve there. A completely forgettable fern bar, except it's inside the ballpark.

Friday's is on the lower level. The Stadium Club is on the upper level and for season ticket holders just like at Comiskey.