PDA

View Full Version : Beating a dead Royce....I mean horse.

Soxboyrob
08-10-2001, 05:19 PM
In my free time today, I took a little time to look up career range factor stats for both Valentin and Royce. To my surprise, Royce had a better range factor than Valentin, from a career standpoint. Valentin cranked out better numbers last year, but Clayton had the better career number. Since this is obviously a measure of a player's range, what am I missing? I can't seem to find a place to look up "zone rating," so range factor is all I have to go on.

Randar68
08-10-2001, 05:27 PM
I can't seem to find a place to look up "zone rating," so range factor is all I have to go on.

ESPN has them under fielding stats off each player's individual stats page

voodoochile
08-10-2001, 06:55 PM
Try doing some of the numbers yourself, it isn't hard. Take a look at Clayton's TC, A and PO and divide these by total innings then multiply by 9 and again by 162 to see how many of these he avrages over a full season. Then do the same with Valentin...

Check out my posts in the "Props for Royce" thead. The question remains, is Claytons more consistent defense worth more than Jose's bat?

doublem23
08-10-2001, 10:57 PM
Zone Rating and others are BS stats.

The Zone Rating is the equivalent of a stat like the Eye Factor, were you'd watch tape and pick out pitches the hitter should have swung at or should have laid off. The equation would be something like this:

Eye Factor = (Pitches Thrown)-(Pitches should have laid off)-(pitches should have swung at)/Pitches thrown.

So if an at bat, a batter saw 5 pitches, watched 1 down the middle, and swung at one out of the zone, his Eye Factor for that at bat would be .600.