PDA

View Full Version : WSI Makes The Tribune!

Lip Man 1
09-21-2002, 01:11 AM
White Sox Interactive has made the newspapers again!!!
(3rd time this year!)

From Phil Rogers story on Bud Selig's reaction to the incident in Saturday's Tribune:

"This is believed to be the first on-field exchange between a fan and player or coach with the White Sox since a fan accosted Baltimore's Don Buford in the on-deck circle in 1971 at Comiskey Park. Buford had angered fans earlier by taking steps toward the mound after pitcher Bart Johnson buzzed him with a pitch.

Former Sox second baseman Mike Andrews recalls Buford knocking down the fan with one punch and other Baltimore players then coming out to beat on him. They left him "bloody from head to toe," according to a recent interview with Andrews on whitesoxinteractive.com"

Just FYI, the entire Andrews interview will be on site starting Sunday night according to Pale Hose George. And get ready for a major surprise interview guest around mid October! (It's not Jay Mariotti...yet!)

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
09-21-2002, 02:39 AM
What, is the Tribune trying to "scoop" WSI? :smile:

I'll have it up tonight.

SI1020
09-21-2002, 01:09 PM
The orthodox media has gotten so stale and predictable. In the world of sports you hardly ever see interesting off beat type stuff like Liptak on Mike Andrews here. I really enjoy all the columnists at WSI but I especially like historical stuff such as this. For whatever it's worth congratulations and keep up the good work. I am a capitalist with a small c at heart, and it is very good that sites such as this provide a little competition from the drudgery of the print and tv media. There is nothing like this, at least that I am aware of here in Pgh.

KruseControl04
09-21-2002, 01:41 PM
I remember WSI way back in the days when it was first starting up. I'm glad to see that the sight is growing and getting recognition. WSI 0wnz j00.

Lip Man 1
09-21-2002, 02:59 PM
The thanks should go to Pale Hose George for having the guts to start something like this, especially when he did, because the situation was a lot grimmer.

I just do some of the "grunt" work, but I enjoy talking with these former players and the folks in the media.

We fully intend to keep bringing this type of material to you in the future

I'm lining up my November interview now and I'm picking (at this point) from between "Jungle" Jim Rivera or Jim Landis.

Lip

doublem23
09-21-2002, 03:13 PM
Yeah, even though I give Lip a lot of crap for some of the stuff he writes in his columns (and posts on the board), I do love the interviews that we have. Being only 19 years old, they are very good first hand looks into the past and history of the team I love.

Keep it up! :)

Go Sox (and Irish!) :)

WillieHarris12
09-21-2002, 03:41 PM
Since I am pretty new here. How are you guys getting these interviews with players?

Lip Man 1
09-21-2002, 10:32 PM
Willie:

A lot of it is friend of a friend type stuff. Also a lot of research work on the Internet trying to track down address and so forth. As far as the media interviews, I know most of those folks, so that never presents that big of a problem.

Lip Man 1
09-21-2002, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Willie Harris:

White Sox end of 2002 slogan:

"The Vet's can't play!"

Lip's reply: And neither can the "kids" as soon as they make two million bucks!

Lip

SI1020
09-22-2002, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The thanks should go to Pale Hose George for having the guts to start something like this, especially when he did, because the situation was a lot grimmer.

I just do some of the "grunt" work, but I enjoy talking with these former players and the folks in the media.

We fully intend to keep bringing this type of material to you in the future

I'm lining up my November interview now and I'm picking (at this point) from between "Jungle" Jim Rivera or Jim Landis.

Lip "Jungle" Jim Rivera! What a character. Jim Landis, one of the all time best fielding CF's in major league history. Too bad you can't do two stories.

mike squires
09-23-2002, 12:17 AM
i would love to see the day i see an interview with harold baines on whitesox interactive. for as quiet and reserved as he is that would be interesting. ron kittle would be a good one too, he's the manger for a suburb right. it would nice to see a kittle, baines or luzinski to reaccount some of the 83 season. law and the dyb was nice but a bigger name guy would be awesome. i know, i know, i'm never satisfied.

Nellie_Fox
09-23-2002, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by SI1020
"Jungle" Jim Rivera! What a character. Jim Landis, one of the all time best fielding CF's in major league history. Too bad you can't do two stories. Landis was absolutely a great fielder, but he was known for making easy plays look hard to enhance his reputation. He'd hang back on flyballs in order to sprint in for a shoestring catch. And of course, Brickhouse would say that the wind knocked it down.

doublem23
09-23-2002, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by michael penny
i would love to see the day i see an interview with harold baines on whitesox interactive. for as quiet and reserved as he is that would be interesting. ron kittle would be a good one too, he's the manger for a suburb right. it would nice to see a kittle, baines or luzinski to reaccount some of the 83 season. law and the dyb was nice but a bigger name guy would be awesome. i know, i know, i'm never satisfied.

Well, to answer one of your questions, yes, Kittle is manager of the Schaumburg Flyers.

To answer your second... why is doublem23, a "responsible" :smile: college kid awake at 1:40 AM on a school night, well... Procrastination is a killer, man.

Lip Man 1
09-23-2002, 12:42 PM
The last info I had on Greg Luzinski was that he and his family were living in Bonita Springs, Florida.

I had tried to track down a phone number or street address for him but can't find anything.

If any Sox fans living in Florida know anything about him, please e-mail me at mliptak1@ida.net and I'll give it a shot.

Ditto for Ron Kittle, I got an address for him from Cory Snyder but he's moved since then.

Lip

nixsox
09-23-2002, 05:05 PM
Anybody from the 77 team would be cool, from what i've been told that was one of the most exciting Sox teams ever. I'm still trying to get some video from that year, can anybody help me with that?

Jjav829
09-23-2002, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Well, to answer one of your questions, yes, Kittle is manager of the Schaumburg Flyers.

To answer your second... why is doublem23, a "responsible" :smile: college kid awake at 1:40 AM on a school night, well... Procrastination is a killer, man.

Geez, can you go through a post without mentioning that your now in college? I mean really, geez. Im sure there are a lot of people here that started college this year. Did I say geez? :smile:

Jerry_Manuel
09-23-2002, 07:10 PM

Wrong again Doub.

He's no longer the manager.

TornLabrum
09-23-2002, 07:48 PM

Kittle did not manage the Flyers in 2002. He went into a front office job. When I saw him in August he told the group at our table that the Flyers want him to go back on the field for 2003. He was reluctant to do so and mentioned a rather outrageous salary figure that he was considering demaning.