PDA

View Full Version : Free Agents this offseason....

Fisk Fan
08-10-2001, 04:14 PM
Does anybody know who the big-name free-agents will be at the end of this year? I wonder if there is a fairly young, good catcher available this offseason....

Randar68
08-10-2001, 04:19 PM
Does anybody know who the big-name free-agents will be at the end of this year? I wonder if there is a fairly young, good catcher available this offseason....

Yeah, Charles Johnson.....

Fisk Fan
08-10-2001, 04:22 PM
Too bad we didn't sign him last year. He could have done a lot of nice things this year for the Sox.

Anyone elseyou can think of, besides catcher?

Soxboyrob
08-10-2001, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Yeah, Charles Johnson.....

Is it certain that he'll exercise his out clause, or is it being assumed that he will?

Randar68
08-10-2001, 04:39 PM
Is it certain that he'll exercise his out clause, or is it being assumed that he will?

Not certain, but it is a 2-way option. If the team can't afford him without a new stadium, they will let him go, or he has the choice.

At least that is how I remember it...

To me, it doesn't matter, if the Sox weren;t willing to sign him with after seeing what he did last year and in the playoffs, then they won't try to sign him now....

It amazes me how unimportant the Sox management team seems to think the catcher position is.

2 straight years, they get a steal in the 3 or 5th rounds on catcher who should have gone in the first or second round, and if nothing changes, they won't have signed either one!!!!

Catcher is one of the weakest positions throughout the organization, and if they won't sign the talent cheap out of the draft, and they won't sign anyone with any talent on the major league level, then why will anything change????

The focus and direction of this managment team is really being questioned...

Iguana775
08-10-2001, 05:04 PM
the thing that concerns me about going after a player like CJ is the money. can we afford him?? we all know how JR is with money and this damn attendence thing. right now, we are looking at a payroll of 55+ mil....easily. and very posible, it being close to 65 mil......if we get a good FA or resign keith, et al.

Randar68
08-10-2001, 05:08 PM
the thing that concerns me about going after a player like CJ is the money. can we afford him?? we all know how JR is with money and this damn attendence thing. right now, we are looking at a payroll of 55+ mil....easily. and very posible, it being close to 65 mil......if we get a good FA or resign keith, et al.

That is my point. If they were unwilling to spend it on him last year, they aren't going to spend it on him or anyone of any talent, this year.

It is clear, that despite the glaring organization-wide holes at SS and C, it seems the organization is unwilling to spend the money, time, or resources, to develop these positions from within or to attempt to acquire premium talent there....

doublem23
08-10-2001, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
The focus and direction of this managment team is really being questioned...

Well that's nothing new (unfortunately)!

Tragg
08-10-2001, 10:42 PM
We've got, what, 9 million spent on two average shortstops? And another few million on a crummy catcher. This didn't happen by chance - this is kenny williams design. That is a lot of salary wrapped up in mediocrity. I should give valentin a few more plaudits for his offense - it is decent.

But you pick your spots. It's senseless to pay big dollars for mediocrity when you can get it cheap (mark johnson). Then you can spend a reasonable sum on a quality player.

Jerry_Manuel
08-10-2001, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
We've got, what, 9 million spent on two average shortstops? And another few million on a crummy catcher. This didn't happen by chance - this is kenny williams design. That is a lot of salary wrapped up in mediocrity. I should give valentin a few more plaudits for his offense - it is decent. But you pick your spots. It's senseless to pay big dollars for mediocrity when you can get it cheap (mark johnson). Then you can spend a reasonable sum on a quality player.

Tragg I'm not sure what post you are responding to, but I think it was the one by Randar where he said:

"2 straight years, they get a steal in the 3 or 5th rounds on catcher who should have gone in the first or second round, and if nothing changes, they won't have signed either one!!!!

Catcher is one of the weakest positions throughout the organization, and if they won't sign the talent cheap out of the draft, and they won't sign anyone with any talent on the major league level, then why will anything change????"

Having Clayton, Alomar and Valentin on the team is not stopping Jerry Reinsdorf from signing the catchers that the team drafts. He just doesn't want to pay them.