PDA

View Full Version : William Ligue, Jr.: "Never much of a sports fan, let alone a Sox fan"

cheeses_h_rice
09-20-2002, 11:22 PM
Well, at least a little substantive defense that this jackass isn't representative of Sox fans...

From today's Chicago Tribune:

As Ligue's sister, Kimberly Richardson, watched one of those many replays Friday on her living room television in Alsip, she felt confused and contrite.

"I have no idea why he would do this," she said. "I'm so sorry for what my brother did to that man."

She said her brother has never been "much of a sports fan," let alone a Sox fan , and that the ballpark outing was intended as a treat for the family group that included her 10-year-old son.

The past year has been hard on her brother, Richardson said, citing a lost job, the death of his month-old daughter in May and a subsequent break-up with his girlfriend.

TornLabrum
09-21-2002, 08:53 AM
The past year has been hard on her brother, Richardson said, citing a lost job, the death of his month-old daughter in May and a subsequent break-up with his girlfriend.

Well, that certainly explains his behavior. I guess it was all Gamboa's fault.

harwar
09-21-2002, 09:09 AM
I think whether Gamboa made obscene words or gestures is not the point.The point is that we live in a society that is full of people like this and we just don't want to believe it.I grew up in south chicago in a neighborhood where fighting was a way of life.My school was full of gangs(young savages,latin lords,latin kings,devils disciples,etc.) and we had armed police in the hallways.Violence was seemingly everywhere as i was growing up and i've spent some time in cook county so i know whereas i speak.If it hadn't been for the military i don't know where i'd be today.I'm a world away now living up here on lake wisconsin,both geographically and socialogicaly,but what surprises me is not the fact that this thing happened,but that it doesn't happen more often.

LongDistanceFan
09-21-2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by harwar
I think whether Gamboa made obscene words or gestures is not the point.The point is that we live in a society that is full of people like this and we just don't want to believe it.

this is ref to what point, the idiot who jump on the field or the coach.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-21-2002, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Well, that certainly explains his behavior. I guess it was all Gamboa's fault.

Gamboa has categorically denied he did ANYTHING to acknowledge the taunts of these fans. He denies he has ever acknowledged taunts anytime in his life in baseball. He has Willie Harris as a witness to his version of the facts and Jose Valentin (who played with Gamboa in the P.R. league) as a character witness.

So who are you going to believe? Gamboa or the guy with nine arrests?

Lying is the least of this guy's character faults.

Paulwny
09-21-2002, 09:41 AM
( The past year has been hard on her brother, Richardson said, citing a lost job, the death of his month-old daughter in May and a subsequent break-up with his girlfriend.)

Here we go again. It's not his fault, this year was hard for him. Let's play the sympathy card and some people will feel sorry for him. What were his excuses for the previous 9 arrests ?
Since the kid's a juvenile, I assume his records are locked, who knows how many times he's been in trouble.

ChiSoxBobette
09-21-2002, 09:57 AM
whether the K.C. coach flipped them off or not how many brain cells did that father & son combo have missing to do something like that and on top of the both of them running out onto the field and beating on the K.C. coach the idiot father also had a 10 year old still up in the stands, maybe thats why the guy lost his job, his girlfreind left him and maybe somebody should investigate how the idiots other child died. I've gone to plenty of Sox games and screamed/yelled at opposing players and last year myself and some buddies were getting on Kenny Lofton who was playing centerfield for the Indians and believe me some of my buddies were on him pretty good and Kenny he was giving us the behind his back one finger salute but all it did was make me laugh not for moment was I or any of my buddies going to jump out on the field and start a brawl. Besides according to this guys sister the guys not even a White Sox fan this incident could very well have taken place at gigley if they were in town, so maybe someone should inform jerk moronotti. Oh by the way moronotti if you should be reading any of the White Sox sites and come across this - AS USUAL I DID'NT SEE YOU AT WHITE SOX PARK LAST NIGHT , So stop writing about the park, the players, and the fans like you're some kind of Sox supporter who's just pissed because you're disappointed about the Sox year.
Go White Sox
Go Joe & Joe
:)

34 Inch Stick
09-21-2002, 09:58 AM
I think this year has just got a little bit tougher. How do you justify jumping onto the field during a family party and beating someone because your child died. Its a tragedy but it doesn't manifest itself in violence against a complete stranger in a public place.

I have a feeling the two good looking guys were on something stronger than beer when they did this. They probably did believe Gamboa did something and attacked. They will get what they deserve.

Paulwny
09-21-2002, 10:02 AM
Part of an article by Nancy Armour, AP Sports writer:

( Around the seventh inning, Ligue called a female relative on a cell phone to ask if she was watching the game. When she could not find the channel, he said, "Well then, just watch the news," the source said. )

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/wire/sns-ap-bba-coach-attacked0921sep21(0,730286).story?coll=sns%2Dap%2D baseball%2Dheadlines