PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 7/14/19 Better Luck Next Year Postgamer

thomas35forever
07-14-2019, 06:03 PM
What is it about this team and playing in Oakland? What's in the water there that's given them kryptonite?

cbone
07-14-2019, 06:06 PM
On the upside and it’s a big upside, Lopez was very good today, let’s hope it’s a sign of things to come.

Chez
07-14-2019, 06:06 PM
Lopez pitched well. That is all.

Grzegorz
07-14-2019, 06:25 PM
Lopez pitched well. Gio goes to break the streak tomorrow against KC.

KenBerryGrab
07-14-2019, 06:39 PM
That was a classic loss in Oakland. Foul ground had its usual starring role.

voodoochile
07-14-2019, 07:12 PM
On the upside and it’s a big upside, Lopez was very good today, let’s hope it’s a sign of things to come.

He was getting his curve over for strikes and had guys swinging and missing on his change. If he can do that consistently he'll be dangerous given how fast he throws his 4-seamer.

Was at the game with Michelle - he first live MLB game. I thought it was over when Herrera came in, but Cordell made an amazing throw and kept the game going. Then Rondon tossed the ball into the black hole that is the Sox bullpen and we all went home. Was sitting next to an Oakland A's Father Son tandem. It was the son's first game too.

Brian26
07-14-2019, 07:39 PM
I'd like Jason a bit more if he wasn't so quick to prove that he's impartial on the replay calls. A litter Hawkesque homerism never hurts. He was quick to point out the runner was safe immediately "I think he's in there, Steve." Every replay they showed was inconclusive, either because McCann possibly snuck the tag under the chest or the runner's hand may have missed homeplate.

I was waiting for Steve to blow up when Jason suggested letting the foul ball drop with a speedy runner at third, but the subject was changed pretty quickly.

Winnable game, but Oakland has always been the House of Horrors. Go get em in KC.

voodoochile
07-14-2019, 07:55 PM
I'd like Jason a bit more if he wasn't so quick to prove that he's impartial on the replay calls. A litter Hawkesque homerism never hurts. He was quick to point out the runner was safe immediately "I think he's in there, Steve." Every replay they showed was inconclusive, either because McCann possibly snuck the tag under the chest or the runner's hand may have missed homeplate.

I was waiting for Steve to blow up when Jason suggested letting the foul ball drop with a speedy runner at third, but the subject was changed pretty quickly.

Winnable game, but Oakland has always been the House of Horrors. Go get em in KC.

The replay was inconclusive I agree from what I saw of it at the stadium on the big screen. Heck of a throw by Cordell he's a real solid 4th OF option going forward or might even be able to get something for him the way he's developing - not all by himself but he makes a nice throw in piece if the Sox decide to move on without him.

Tragg
07-14-2019, 08:48 PM
Great game by Lopez. Boy it would be great if he has figured it out.

The Sox have a run differential of +1 v. Royals, +2 v. Jays and Marlins and +4 v. Mariners. It's hard to figure where this team really sits with the disparate record v. run differential.

Railsplitter
07-14-2019, 09:26 PM
What is it about this team and playing in Oakland? What's in the water there that's given them kryptonite?

Well, the A's do wear green...

Mohoney
07-14-2019, 09:57 PM

The Sox have a run differential of +1 v. Royals, +2 v. Jays and Marlins and +4 v. Mariners. It's hard to figure where this team really sits with the disparate record v. run differential.
Where they are is two or three years ahead of those teams in the rebuild process. They have more high-end performers who can make the difference in 1-run games than those other teams, but they still have enough deadwood to get blown out just as often—and in some cases, even more often—than those other teams. They still need another serious rotation upgrade or two, more power throughout the lineup, an outfielder or two, and relief help.

harwar
07-15-2019, 05:20 AM
Hoping that Lopez can turn a corner with that breaking ball and be more consistent . nothing gets my blood going like a great throw from the outfield . liking Ryan Cordell more and more, just wish he could make contact at the plate.

rainbow6
07-15-2019, 06:17 AM
Does Yolmer Sanchez get uncomfortable when people talk about the “juiced” ball? He used to hit the occasional home run. Now with the ball flying out of parks at a record pace he can barely seem to get the ball out of the infield?

I’m aware he’s not good and this will likely (hopefully) be his last year with us. Just seems strange for a player who had some power to completely loose it in a year like this.

TomBradley72
07-15-2019, 08:51 AM
I'm ready to fire up the Jose Rondon appeciation thread- showed some flashes of potential last season, but (like Palka) has really regressed this season- I don't think Mendick or Goins (31 yo) are really prospects- but I'd rather see either of them get a shot for a few months and DFA Rondon.

I think Cordell is showing some potential value as a 4th/5th outfielder, great to see Lopez with a solid start.

We're way too thin in talent to withstand losing a guy like TA- it's catching up with us.

SoxandtheCityTee
07-15-2019, 09:10 AM
We're way too thin in talent to withstand losing a guy like TA- it's catching up with us.

My thought as I watched this bad series end terribly. A good pitching performance yesterday wasted.

Grzegorz
07-15-2019, 10:24 AM
My thought as I watched this bad series end terribly. A good pitching performance yesterday wasted.
If Lopez was happy with his outing, and I have to believe he was, his outing was not wasted.

Hitmen77
07-15-2019, 10:31 AM

Yeah, that would be a huge shot in the arm to this team if something has clicked with him. Our starting pitching options are really thin after you get past Giolito, Cease, and (next year) Kopech. Having Lopez be able to lock down a back of the rotation spot would really go a long way toward the success of this rebuild.

voodoochile
07-15-2019, 10:37 AM
Yeah, that would be a huge shot in the arm to this team if something has clicked with him. Our starting pitching options are really thin after you get past Giolito, Cease, and (next year) Kopech. Having Lopez be able to lock down a back of the rotation spot would really go a long way toward the success of this rebuild.

He's got the raw stuff to be a top of rotation starter. Can he harness his inner demons and lock down his command will be the question, but yeah, him rising up to be one of the guys we can count on will go a LONG way toward making the future look better.

Tragg
07-15-2019, 08:37 PM
Where they are is two or three years ahead of those teams in the rebuild process. Hopefully, but I wouldn't be so sure. We might be in the midst of things narrowing out as sample size grows.

They still need another serious rotation upgrade or two, more power throughout the lineup, an outfielder or two, and relief help.
The Sox have the worst starting pitching in baseball. They don't need just a rotation upgrade or 2: they need 5 starting pitchers and probably the same number of relievers. Look at the Braves - they are stacked at young pitching, but have still gone through numerous guys and even signed Kuechel. You must have depth and cannot have a single hole on the staff and expect to win.

ChiSoxNationPres
07-15-2019, 09:01 PM
Hopefully, but I wouldn't be so sure. We might be in the midst of things narrowing out as sample size grows.

The Sox have the worst starting pitching in baseball. They don't need just a rotation upgrade or 2: they need 5 starting pitchers and probably the same number of relievers. Look at the Braves - they are stacked at young pitching, but have still gone through numerous guys and even signed Kuechel. You must have depth and cannot have a single hole on the staff and expect to win.

Just because the Braves needed all those pitchers doesn't mean the Sox will need that many to get through the season. Adding 2 starters will give them a rotation to start the season that they will be more than comfortable with as they fully intend to have Giolito, Cease, and Kopech be in the rotation. Why would they acquire 3 others to stick in AAA? Those type of guys you can get during the season if need be.

voodoochile
07-15-2019, 09:11 PM
Just because the Braves needed all those pitchers doesn't mean the Sox will need that many to get through the season. Adding 2 starters will give them a rotation to start the season that they will be more than comfortable with as they fully intend to have Giolito, Cease, and Kopech be in the rotation. Why would they acquire 3 others to stick in AAA? Those type of guys you can get during the season if need be.

I wouldn't count Lopez out either if he makes any kind of progress the second half of the season. He's still very young in terms of experience and has great stuff. I know people here are over him to some extent, but I think the Sox will take a longer view of things.

ChiSoxNationPres
07-15-2019, 09:56 PM
I wouldn't count Lopez out either if he makes any kind of progress the second half of the season. He's still very young in terms of experience and has great stuff. I know people here are over him to some extent, but I think the Sox will take a longer view of things.

I'm among the Lopez believers, but he will be in AAA to start likely if the Sox acquire 2 quality pitchers. I hope that he is depth to start because the Sox will just have that strong of a staff. He still has number 3 pitcher upside in my opinion.

Mohoney
07-15-2019, 10:52 PM
I'm among the Lopez believers, but he will be in AAA to start likely if the Sox acquire 2 quality pitchers. I hope that he is depth to start because the Sox will just have that strong of a staff. He still has number 3 pitcher upside in my opinion.
I would assume that Kopech would be getting some minor league rehab starts to begin 2020. He can be kept there a maximum of 30 days on a rehab assignment, so going that route can buy the team some extra time with a 9th reliever if the early-season off-days allow the 5th spot to be skipped. If the team is trying to decide on who gets the final bullpen spot, they can use games that actually count to help with the decision. That would leave a rotation of Giolito, Lopez, Cease, whoever replaces Nova, and some group of misfits to hold down the last spot until Kopech comes back.

Ideally, they would do what you suggest and acquire 2 starters, leaving Lopez, Cease, and Kopech to cover those last 2 spots, with whoever doesn’t earn a spot moving into the bullpen. If Rodón returns at any point next year, have him pitch out of the bullpen as well.