PDA

View Full Version : Cease to be called up, make debut Wednesday

thomas35forever
06-30-2019, 11:30 AM
He'll start Game 1 of Wednesday's doubleheader.

cbone
06-30-2019, 11:31 AM
That’s exciting!:bandance:

blurry
06-30-2019, 11:57 AM
Merkin says he's here to stay! https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/1145370279499194369?s=21

WhiteSox5187
06-30-2019, 12:47 PM
Merkin says he's here to stay! https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/1145370279499194369?s=21

That’s good, it makes no sense to call him up for a spot start.

harwar
06-30-2019, 12:48 PM
That's a good team for him to face his first time out.

GregZ18
06-30-2019, 01:00 PM
So...that means rain on Wednesday? Good to know.

HomeFish
06-30-2019, 01:38 PM
:o:

Mohoney
06-30-2019, 01:56 PM
Good. This team needs a spark after all the injury/DFA malaise.

JasonFrasor54
06-30-2019, 01:58 PM
I was very excited to go and buy tickets, until I found out he's starting game 1 instead of game 2 :angry: Why would he not start game 2 so more fans can go? Just wondering the thinking behind that choice.

Anyway, happy he's here!! :gulp:

I_Liked_Manuel
06-30-2019, 02:05 PM
With the way Quintana is pitching, I won't be surprised if Cease ends the season with more wins. This one really has to sting for Cubs fans

Mohoney
06-30-2019, 02:06 PM
I was very excited to go and buy tickets, until I found out he's starting game 1 instead of game 2 :angry: Why would he not start game 2 so more fans can go? Just wondering the thinking behind that choice.

And I’m sure you’re not the only one...

The White Sox need to be more astute about situations like this. Sure, it’s only “one game out of 81” and all that other cliché stuff, for the team, but it is much more than that to the fans. The White Sox just lost potential paying customers in you, whoever else may have went with you, and any other fans who share your situation.

blandman
06-30-2019, 02:44 PM
If he's up for one game, that's alright. But if he stays, I'm officially on the "rushed due to lack of depth" train. There's more to development than production, and Cease's development includes building arm strength to throw innings. He's going to go way over a reasonable stopping point for a guy that threw 100 innings once in his career because of injuries if they keep him here.

Marqhead
06-30-2019, 02:56 PM
Add me to the list of people who would have bought tickets for the night game. Well done Sox!

Mohoney
06-30-2019, 02:56 PM
If he's up for one game, that's alright. But if he stays, I'm officially on the "rushed due to lack of depth" train. There's more to development than production, and Cease's development includes building arm strength to throw innings. He's going to go way over a reasonable stopping point for a guy that threw 100 innings once in his career because of injuries if they keep him here.
Not if they shut him down after he hits his innings limit anyway. He can do the exact same workload up here instead of down there, with the only change being caliber of competition.

FielderJones
06-30-2019, 03:22 PM
Why would he not start game 2 so more fans can go? Just wondering the thinking behind that choice.

Smaller crowd, less pressure, less adrenaline. Better chance for a good outcome against a crappy opponent.

We went to Daniel Hudson's first MLB start (https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200909210.shtml) and Carlos Rodon's first MLB start (https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA201505092.shtml). Both were pretty shaky, but the Sox bailed Carlos out.

TDog
06-30-2019, 04:00 PM

Why not give move fans a reason to go to Game 1. Game 1 is where you generally have the A team in the lineup and on the field, if that matters this year in a game between the Tigers and White Sox. The bullpen should be more rested in Game 1, especially with Detwiler scheduled for the other game. It isn't like he's expected to go more than 6 innings. He's only gone 7 for Charlotte once this year, and he hasn't gone six in the last month.

Along with the baseball reasons to start him in the afternoon game, the weather in the afternoon should be more settled with thunderstorms forecast later.

I don't know how excited I am for Cease to join the rotation, assuming that he isn't simply going to be called up and sent down as the extra guy for the doubleheader. There certainly is a pitcher or two on the staff who could be sent down in his place when the doubleheader ends. He really hasn't been impressive for Charlotte. He actually might pitch a great game against the Tigers. Pitchers making their debut often do that, and not just against the White Sox, and it looks like they are giving him a better chance to succeed.

DumpJerry
06-30-2019, 04:15 PM
Why would he not start game 2 so more fans can go? Just wondering the thinking behind that choice.

To create more traffic on WSI....

It makes sense to start him in Game I. It boosts the ticket sales for an otherwise unappealing game and assures larger carryover crowd to Game II (concession sales).

It also reduces how long his nerves will be tense from anticipation.

Is Weds a straight DH or a split DH?

blandman
06-30-2019, 04:20 PM
Not if they shut him down after he hits his innings limit anyway. He can do the exact same workload up here instead of down there, with the only change being caliber of competition.

Yes, but something tells me once he's here that's not going to happen.

Mohoney
06-30-2019, 04:41 PM
To create more traffic on WSI....

It makes sense to start him in Game I. It boosts the ticket sales for an otherwise unappealing game and assures larger carryover crowd to Game II (concession sales).

It also reduces how long his nerves will be tense from anticipation.

Is Weds a straight DH or a split DH?
It’s not a straight double-header. The park will be cleared after the first game.

Mohoney
06-30-2019, 04:59 PM
Smaller crowd, less pressure, less adrenaline. Better chance for a good outcome against a crappy opponent.

We went to Daniel Hudson's first MLB start (https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200909210.shtml) and Carlos Rodon's first MLB start (https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA201505092.shtml). Both were pretty shaky, but the Sox bailed Carlos out.
Less adrenaline? Less pressure?

It’s the culmination of an entire lifetime of perseverance, sacrifice, and dedication. His brain will be going a million miles a minute anyway just trying to figure out the in-game stuff, like how to shut down the running game, which pitches he should throw to which batters, and what the hell he can do to get Miguel Cabrera out three times. All of it will be completely uncharted territory and magnified to a level he never could possibly conceive of before. The pressure and adrenaline are already baked into the pie. It won’t matter whether the crowd is 4,000 or 40,000.

Who knows, maybe a stadium full of people cheering for him on strikeouts and inning-ending outs could actually be an asset instead of a liability...

anewman35
06-30-2019, 06:00 PM
Game one makes the most sense for baseball reasons, the team is fresher, you have the full bullpen available, etc. Give him the best chance for success.

As for tickets, they'll probably a pretty good crowd anyway. It was originally a Saturday night game with a Jose Abreu bobblehead giveaway, and tickets for that game are only valid for the first game Wednesday. Besides, warmer weather and the possiblility of people taking off before the holiday, I think they'll probably do fine.

Hitmen77
06-30-2019, 07:39 PM
I just want him to be stay healthy and be successful. If he does that, I'm not going to worry one bit about whether he should have started Game 2.

By the way, Wednesday is one day short of being 19 years to the day when another pitching prospect traded by the Cubs to the Sox made his MLB debut. On July 4, 2000, Jon Garland made is first major league start for the Sox. That game didn't go that well for Garland (3.0 IP, 8 H, 7 ER), but he ended up with a a great 7.5 season run for us.

hoosiersoxfan
06-30-2019, 07:43 PM
Glad they chose game 1 because I have tix to that one. It's the makeup from a late April game that got snowed out. Excited to see what the kid can do.

TDog
06-30-2019, 08:05 PM
I just want him to be stay healthy and be successful. If he does that, I'm not going to worry one bit about whether he should have started Game 2.

By the way, Wednesday is one day short of being 19 years to the day when another pitching prospect traded by the Cubs to the Sox made his MLB debut. On July 4, 2000, Jon Garland made is first major league start for the Sox. That game didn't go that well for Garland (3.0 IP, 8 H, 7 ER), but he ended up with a a great 7.5 season run for us.

That reminds me of going at the last minute to see Jon Garland pitch in May 2001. On Chicago sports radio there were pundits saying it was a make or break game for Garland, who had been very unimpressive, failing to live up to a breath of his expectations (a first-round pick by the Cubs, 10th player selected, traded by the Cubs who needed a reliever during a late 20th century title drive, it sort of all runs together). It was a Saturday night and a bit cooler than I expected when I got to the park, but traffic and the crowd was a bit heavier than I anticipated. I actually got a pretty good single seat, a bit up the first base side in the lower bowl, but by the time I sat down, the Rangers were hitting their third home run of the top of the first. It was 6-0 when Garland was pulled in the top of the second on what turned out to be a 16-6 Pad Your Stats Night.

Garland was more fun to watch pitch four years later when he started the season as the fifth starter with low expectations.

SoxandtheCityTee
06-30-2019, 08:06 PM
As I already had my ticket to Game 1, I approve. :wink:

FielderJones
07-01-2019, 10:43 PM
As I already had my ticket to Game 1, I approve. :wink:

See you there again! I traded in a couple April 30 rainout tickets for this game!

SoxandtheCityTee
07-02-2019, 09:26 AM
See you there again! I traded in a couple April 30 rainout tickets for this game!

I am joining a friend who had a ticket in the upper deck. We may spend some time downstairs when we go to collect our check-in offers -- I assume that's allowed with an upper deck ticket now -- but in any event, bring in the win!

I am just going to note here that I am delighted to run into WSIers that I know by sight at the park. I promise not to bring up divisive issues like the rebuild. Though there's usually some recent DFA we can agree on! :wink:

DumpJerry
07-02-2019, 09:44 AM
I am joining a friend who had a ticket in the upper deck. We may spend some time downstairs when we go to collect our check-in offers -- I assume that's allowed with an upper deck ticket now -- but in any event, bring in the win!

I am just going to note here that I am delighted to run into WSIers that I know by sight at the park. I promise not to bring up divisive issues like the rebuild. Though there's usually some recent DFA we can agree on! :wink:
I was at the Friday Twins game last week. They were checking the tickets for 100 level.

SoxandtheCityTee
07-02-2019, 10:01 AM
I was at the Friday Twins game last week. They were checking the tickets for 100 level.

Even if you just want to go to Revolution Brewing to pick up your fantastic prizes? Or is there a separate pick-up on 500 level? This is my first time sitting there since getting the MLB app. :scratch:

Or maybe they just check upon (attempted) re-entry to 100 level?

hoosiersoxfan
07-02-2019, 10:29 AM
Even if you just want to go to Revolution Brewing to pick up your fantastic prizes? Or is there a separate pick-up on 500 level? This is my first time sitting there since getting the MLB app. :scratch:

I think you can get in the Revolution Brewing spot thru the 500 level but not positive. I did win a hat earlier this season from checking in on the MLB Ballpark app so I definitely recommend to everyone that they check in when at games.

SoxandtheCityTee
07-02-2019, 10:36 AM
I think you can get in the Revolution Brewing spot thru the 500 level but not positive. I did win a hat earlier this season from checking in on the MLB Ballpark app so I definitely recommend to everyone that they check in when at games.

OK, thanks. We'll figure it out.

GoSox2K3
07-02-2019, 11:40 AM
i'm surprised they're calling him up since he's struggled over the last month or so at AAA. I hope they know what they're doing.

KRS1
07-02-2019, 12:36 PM
i'm surprised they're calling him up since he's struggled over the last month or so at AAA. I hope they know what they're doing.

Two thoughts on that. Perhaps, like Kopech last season, he was working on his changeup and giving high volume looks of it. Maybe they just want him to work with Coop.

Otherwise, I’m not going to criticize the timing. They don’t seem to be rushing players right now and it’s not like it’s in our best interest to give him service time if he still needs work. Regardless, he SHOULD be next man up for emergency starts and that’s what this is.

voodoochile
07-02-2019, 12:55 PM
Two thoughts on that. Perhaps, like Kopech last season, he was working on his changeup and giving high volume looks of it. Maybe they just want him to work with Coop.

Otherwise, I’m not going to criticize the timing. They don’t seem to be rushing players right now and it’s not like it’s in our best interest to give him service time if he still needs work. Regardless, he SHOULD be next man up for emergency starts and that’s what this is.

He was giving up more H and R but his K/9 jumped too. Just like Gio this spring. Obviously that would be an awesome outcome. :cool:

ChiTownTrojan
07-02-2019, 01:48 PM

On the SoxMachine podcast, Jim Marguiles had two thoughts on the timing:

1. Biggest reason is the soft upcoming schedule, so he can get his first-start jitters out against lesser competition (starting with the Tigers and Royals).
2. Another factor I didn't consider is the weather down in NC impacting his development. Cease has had a bunch of starts cut short or moved around because of weather issues, and that could be messing with his development.

Other than that, it's just that even if he's not a finished project, there's not much more for him to learn in AAA so might as well get him up and get used to facing MLB pitching.

DumpJerry
07-02-2019, 02:40 PM

Dunno about Revolution access.

When sales are over 25k tickets, they check. They checked us when we got there. No idea if they did it all game long. The UD was full to the ends.

DaveIsHere
07-02-2019, 03:04 PM
Grabbed a few tickets for the game tomorrow afternoon, should be fun.

slavko
07-02-2019, 05:14 PM

Curious, ain't it? So many reasons to not do this, my perverse reaction is that they must know what they're doing.

Nellie_Fox
07-03-2019, 12:46 AM
I couldn't believe Stone's explanation. He actually said that it's possible that Cease was struggling because he's too good for AAA, and he's bored at that level. :rolleyes:

JermaineDye05
07-03-2019, 01:14 AM
I couldn't believe Stone's explanation. He actually said that it's possible that Cease was struggling because he's too good for AAA, and he's bored at that level. :rolleyes:

Joe Sheehan on the Score did mention that they’re pitching with a “golf ball” down in AAA and to not get too worried about the numbers, and that the likelihood is Dylan probably has nothing left to prove down in the minors. His peripherals were probably exceptional enough in management’s eyes that they promoted him. Also, what other starters do they have?

Grzegorz
07-03-2019, 04:01 AM
Joe Sheehan on the Score did mention that they’re pitching with a “golf ball” down in AAA and to not get too worried about the numbers, and that the likelihood is Dylan probably has nothing left to prove down in the minors. His peripherals were probably exceptional enough in management’s eyes that they promoted him. Also, what other starters do they have?

How reassuring knowing that the ball in AAA is the same ball used by MLB. I'd reason to bet that the hitters at the MLB level are better than those down at the AAA level.

I'll go with Stone's bored at AAA assertion.

DumpJerry
07-03-2019, 10:00 AM
Curious, ain't it? So many reasons to not do this, my perverse reaction is that they must know what they're doing.
Cease was sandbagging the advance scouts.

WhiteSox5187
07-03-2019, 11:49 AM

They're pitching with the same ball that they use in the majors in AAA, so I don't think it's just the ball that's causing his struggles. At least I hope not.

voodoochile
07-03-2019, 11:53 AM
How reassuring knowing that the ball in AAA is the same ball used by MLB. I'd reason to bet that the hitters at the MLB level are better than those down at the AAA level.

I'll go with Stone's bored at AAA assertion.

I think he was working on something specific in terms of pitch control and he finally achieved what the Sox wanted in that department. It meant he was predictable and getting hit harder the last month but is hopefully a more complete pitcher now, it also fits with what the Sox have been saying over that time period.

Grzegorz
07-03-2019, 12:03 PM
I think he was working on something specific in terms of pitch control and he finally achieved what the Sox wanted in that department. It meant he was predictable and getting hit harder the last month but is hopefully a more complete pitcher now, it also fits with what the Sox have been saying over that time period.

I do too. Nothing to see here.

TomBradley72
07-03-2019, 12:30 PM
I think players can "temporarily" be AAAA players as they develop- nothing more to be gained by AAA experience/reps, but might get a little beaten up at the big league level- that could be the case with Cease- and I think that's the case with Zach Collins right now- even though he's not getting alot of playing time, I think they feel it's better for his development to work with McCann, the pitchers at this level, and the major league coaching staff vs. more frequent playing time with Charlotte.

Mohoney
07-03-2019, 03:57 PM
I think players can "temporarily" be AAAA players as they develop- nothing more to be gained by AAA experience/reps, but might get a little beaten up at the big league level- that could be the case with Cease- and I think that's the case with Zach Collins right now- even though he's not getting alot of playing time, I think they feel it's better for his development to work with McCann, the pitchers at this level, and the major league coaching staff vs. more frequent playing time with Charlotte.
I don’t see any reason why Collins shouldn’t be accomplishing both, especially when goose eggs like Jose Rondon and Daniel Palka are the ones taking the playing time.

GoSox2K3
07-05-2019, 01:50 PM

Yeah, the "gifted kid acting up in class because he's not being challenged enough" is a bit far fetched.

XplodingScorbord
07-05-2019, 04:21 PM
Yeah, the "gifted kid acting up in class because he's not being challenged enough" is a bit far fetched.

Yeah, why listen to a guy who pitched in the bigs for ten years, won a Cy Young award, and hase been around baseball for 50-ish years? Maybe Cease was a little bored and that's what the coaches in the minors were telling the big league club.

Grzegorz
07-05-2019, 08:22 PM
Yeah, why listen to a guy who pitched in the bigs for ten years, won a Cy Young award, and hase been around baseball for 50-ish years? Maybe Cease was a little bored and that's what the coaches in the minors were telling the big league club.
I think Voodoo hit the nail on the head. A little bit anticipation and a little bit of experimentation.

Foget the past; he's here now.