PDA

View Full Version : Per Fred Huebner...

Viva Magglio
09-20-2002, 07:04 AM
...the father has been identified as William Ligue Jr., 34, of Alsip. The 15-year-old son, of Blue Island, is probably unofficially not identified because he is a minor. Both father and son are being charged with aggrevated battery.

Story from NBC 5 (http://www.nbc5.com/sports/1678008/detail.html)

Tragg
09-20-2002, 07:09 AM
What's the deal with the father. Was it a father and son who mauled the coach? Or just a negligent father who watched while son and friend did the deed?

Viva Magglio
09-20-2002, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
What's the deal with the father. Was it a father and son who mauled the coach? Or just a negligent father who watched while son and friend did the deed?

They were a tag team. The father is facing one count of battery, and the son is facing two.

Tragg
09-20-2002, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
They were a tag team. The father is facing one count of battery, and the son is facing two.

Thanks. I can think of a few other counts that belong on old dad - I think a 10 year stretch at hard labor in Joliet is in order.

duke of dorwood
09-20-2002, 08:04 AM
The father was 34, well, cant blame this one on Viet Nam, must just be defective.

Iguana775
09-20-2002, 10:29 AM
what i want to know is who was playing 1st?? i mean, when i saw it on espn, the sox 1st baseman was just standing watching. come on, help the guy out. geez!!

Nellie_Fox
09-20-2002, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
The father was 34, well, cant blame this one on Viet Nam, must just be defective. Did you see them? Definitely from the shallow end of the gene pool.

steff
09-20-2002, 10:38 AM

I think that's backwards. The father hit the coach and an off duty cop. The son just hit the coach.

Kilroy
09-20-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Iguana775
what i want to know is who was playing 1st?? i mean, when i saw it on espn, the sox 1st baseman was just standing watching. come on, help the guy out. geez!!

There's more than one point of view in the world. Imagine if you were standing where Harris and the ump were. I'd like to see you think quickly on your feet and make good decisions when 35 guys start charging at you...

duke of dorwood
09-20-2002, 10:49 AM
Right-by the time Harris saw and could react if he chose to, the Royals cavalry was about to arrive. The whole time frame for this was just seconds.

steff
09-20-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Right-by the time Harris saw and could react if he chose to, the Royals cavalry was about to arrive. The whole time frame for this was just seconds.

Honestly.. it started and was over before I completely understood what was happening.

Duke, is anyone emailing you asking if they're your neighbors..? I got about 50 of those this morning.

voodoochile
09-20-2002, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by steff3603
I think that's backwards. The father hit the coach and an off duty cop. The son just hit the coach.

Must be one of those father son things where they come from...

"Hey son, come on we're gonna go to the game, get lit and attack somebody on the field..."

Time to thin the herd...

steff
09-20-2002, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Must be one of those father son things where they come from...

"Hey son, come on we're gonna go to the game, get lit and attack somebody on the field..."

Time to thin the herd...

Unfortunately.. alcohol was not a factor. They're just plain stupid.

NUCatsFan
09-20-2002, 11:21 AM

The second count for the son was assaulting a security member. One who is also an off-duty cop. Bad idea, son.

bc2k
09-20-2002, 11:25 AM
I can't put too much of the blame on the kid. I bet if he was with his 15 year old friends, he wouldn't have charged the field. I think it's entirely his dad's fault. The kid didn't have a chance with that guy as his father figure. I bet his dad talked him into charging the field. Looking at all the pictures, the dad is always mouthing something to the camera with angry faces.

But of course, you can't use a poor upbringing excuse to avoid responsibilities of your actions. Slap the kid on the wrist, and make an example out of his father. This way the kid gets a second chance while still seeing what happens of his father, hopefully allowing that kid to make a change in his life.

steff
09-20-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by NUCatsFan
The second count for the son was assaulting a security member. One who is also an off-duty cop. Bad idea, son.

The Sun-Times is reporting it opposite. The father 2 charges and the son 1.

HootieMcBoob
09-20-2002, 11:55 AM
On the ESPN.com video clips, the father said he attacked Gamboa because Gamboa flicked him off in the stands, and he "got what he deserved."

PaleHoseGeorge
09-20-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by HootieMcBoob
On the ESPN.com video clips, the father said he attacked Gamboa because Gamboa flicked him off in the stands, and he "got what he deserved."

Sure. That's worth spending time being somebody's girlfriend in jail.

voodoochile
09-20-2002, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by HootieMcBoob

Yeah, I remember when my Dad taught me that life lesson too...

He said, "Son, don't take no crap from no one no how. If ever you even believe someone is chumping you, you make sure you teach 'em a lesson. Doesn't matter what the setting or how old they are. You think they slurred you then you kick their butt."

cheeses_h_rice
09-20-2002, 12:38 PM
I do have one question in light of this jamoch's "justification" for his actions...why didn't Gamboa cop to the fact that he may have been going at it with these guys before he was attacked? It would at least put some sort of rational spin on the whole affair, as lame as it sounds. But as it stands, people think these chumps jumped out for absolutely no reason whatsoever. I think Gamboa needs to come clean.

p.s. yes, I'm fully aware that the dad may be lying, but it just doesn't make any sense.

voodoochile
09-20-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I do have one question in light of this jamoch's "justification" for his actions...why didn't Gamboa cop to the fact that he may have been going at it with these guys before he was attacked? It would at least put some sort of rational spin on the whole affair, as lame as it sounds. But as it stands, people think these chumps jumped out for absolutely no reason whatsoever. I think Gamboa needs to come clean.

p.s. yes, I'm fully aware that the dad may be lying, but it just doesn't make any sense.

Why doesn't it make any sense? Maybe the old man had a quart of whiskey before the game, or dropped some speed or other drug. Maybe he thought he saw something that didn't happen. There is no reason to believe tham at this point in the game. They certainly gave up the high ground and the appearance of innocence when they jumped out of the stands and in a cowardly act, attacked an older man from behind with no warning.

NUCatsFan
09-20-2002, 12:58 PM
The Sun-Times is reporting it opposite. The father 2 charges and the son 1.

ESPN has it with the son getting two counts. Personally, I believe ESPN over the Sun-Times, but that's just me.

ESPN story (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=220919104)

From the story:
The son faces two juvenile charges of battery because he also struck a security guard. He was released to the custody of his mother Friday, and will appear in juvenile court Monday. ESPN has learned that Ligue will appear in bond court Saturday at 1 p.m. ET, and will remain in custody until that time.

voodoochile
09-20-2002, 01:01 PM
ESPN has it with the son getting two counts. Personally, I believe ESPN over the Sun-Times, but that's just me.

From the story:

From that same story...

"Security did a good job cleaning it up,'' Royals first baseman Mike Sweeney said. "If it wasn't for them, we'd probably still be beating on those guys.''

steff
09-20-2002, 01:15 PM

From the story:

And MLB.Com is reporting they're both charged with 2. So who knows.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-20-2002, 01:34 PM
And MLB.Com is reporting they're both charged with 2. So who knows.

You mean the sports media has got the facts wrong?

Gee, that hardly ever happens!

:)