PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 6/13/19 Sox Bullpen Beats Yankees Bullpen Postgamer

BRDSR
06-13-2019, 10:29 PM
Awesome. Neither starter was great, but both serviceable, and then the Sox bullpen shuts them down WITHOUT Colome!

Anderson with the big homer, and my guy Leury! Sign him for three more!:D:

XplodingScorbord
06-13-2019, 10:31 PM
Great game, Gio goes tomorrow! Let’s guarantee at least a split, and notch .500. Go Sox!

cbone
06-13-2019, 10:33 PM
22 years old and they wouldn’t give him a pitch to hit. 500 tomorrow!

insp
06-13-2019, 10:38 PM
Sox outwalked the Yankees 7-2. So much for the idea that walks don't matter.

hoosiersoxfan
06-13-2019, 10:39 PM
22 years old and they wouldn’t give him a pitch to hit. 500 tomorrow!

Can't keep letting a guy hitting .178 bat behind him. He's hot right now and teams are just going to pitch around Eloy.

Some huge home runs by TA7 and Leury tonight!

Tragg
06-13-2019, 10:49 PM
Marshall and Bummer are beautiful to see. 7Ks in the last 3 innings from the pen. Great pitch to close the game - ended up right down the middle, despite LeMahieu's yapping.
Gio tomorrow to finally get to .500, hopefully.

voodoochile
06-13-2019, 10:53 PM
Herrera hitting 98 on the TV gun was sweet to see too. Starting to see a solid late inning bullpen develop.

Eloy being patient and taking his walks is a good thing. Make them throw strikes kid.

:soxwin:

:)

hoosiersoxfan
06-13-2019, 10:54 PM
Marshall and Bummer are beautiful to see. 7Ks in the last 3 innings from the pen. Great pitch to close the game - ended up right down the middle, despite LeMahieu's yapping.
Gio tomorrow to finally get to .500, hopefully.

Yes and how about 3 Ks for Herrera. 2nd straight good outing for him so hopefully he is getting back on track. Marshall, Bummer, Herrera, and Colome is a good back end of a pen to cover the last few innings with a lead.

Chez
06-13-2019, 11:28 PM
Fun night at the ballpark. Lively crowd (lots of Yankees fans) and a tense, exciting game. Every time Leury Garcia gets a hit, Mohoney's heart breaks
a little. :D:

TDog
06-13-2019, 11:29 PM
If Jimenez continues to hit in front of Alonso, the will get a lot of walks and won't see much to hit. For that matter, the Yankees didn't give Alonso anything to hit two on and Rodon on deck with two outs. The Sox might have received fewer walks tonight with Moncada in the lineup and Anderson hitting deeper in the order.

For all the walks the Sox took tonight, they really didn't take advantage of much. They left the bases loaded in the fourth. In the fifth, the leadoff walk to Sanchez came around to score, but two of the five runs were homers and two others reached base with hits before Anderson's home run.

Garcia was the key to the win, putting the Sox on the board and putting two in scoring position after they have fallen down by four and then getting the eventual game-winning solo homer after falling behind 0-2 and connecting on the 11th pitch. When Schwarber did that the other day to tie a game, MLB had a breakout story about it.

Renteria certainly made all the right bullpen decisions tonight. Maybe the matchups favored Bummer closing tonight, with just a one-run lead, Herrera got through the heart of the Yankee order during a season when he's been struggling against less imposing hitters.

Of course, Renteria hedged when he was asked before the game if Coome would be available, and he hedged a bit. If Bummer had given up the lead, Renteria might have been accused of saving him for the Giolito start, but it all worked out.

SoxandtheCityTee
06-13-2019, 11:30 PM
22 years old and they wouldn’t give him a pitch to hit.

Would you, with Alonso hitting behind him? That's gotta change. Congrats to Aaron Bummer on his first big league save. Hopefully Colome is good to go tomorrow. I guess with him throwing 40-plus pitches on Tuesday they wanted to rest him a bit more.

A fun game, and I move to 4-2 on the season. A good crowd, the NYY fans near us were well-behaved, and in addition to DD Night it was Polish Heritage Night: costumed dancers on the field pre-game, special red Sox caps with the white eagle on the side and "Polska" on the back, and the pierogi pop-up on the right field concourse. Delish.

hoosiersoxfan
06-13-2019, 11:33 PM
Of course, Renteria hedged when he was asked before the game if Coome would be available, and he hedged a bit. If Bummer had given up the lead, Renteria might have been accused of saving him for the Giolito start, but it all worked out.

Colome had to throw 40 pitches to get the 5 out save two days ago when Bummer struggled. Good to see Colome pick up Bummer after a rough outing and then Bummer return the favor when Colome was still fatigued from throwing so many pitches on Tuesday.

voodoochile
06-13-2019, 11:45 PM
Colome had to throw 40 pitches to get the 5 out save two days ago when Bummer struggled. Good to see Colome pick up Bummer after a rough outing and then Bummer return the favor when Colome was still fatigued from throwing so many pitches on Tuesday.

Good for Bummer's development too. He's going to be here for a few years. In fact it might even be a dress rehearsal if the Sox do trade Colome later this summer.

TDog
06-13-2019, 11:53 PM

That's why Renteria was asked bout Colome's availability. Colome had a day off. Colome has only pitched four games in June. There are plenty of elite closers who would have come back with one day of rest to close out a game.

I have every confidence in Renteria's integrity, even if I don't agree with every decision he makes. I'm not even arguing that Colome should have been used in tonight's game, only suggesting it would have been an element of discussion if things hadn't gone quite right.

By the way, when people defend Pete Rose as a manager for only betting on his own team, imagine a similar scenario where hypothetically, he was managing the Sox and had money on the Giolito start, but not the Nova start. You have to be able to trust a manager's integrity above all else, even while questioning his pitching changes or calls to sacrifice.

Mohoney
06-14-2019, 12:10 AM
Fun night at the ballpark. Lively crowd (lots of Yankees fans) and a tense, exciting game. Every time Leury Garcia gets a hit, Mohoney's heart breaks
With Happ on the mound, it actually made sense to start Leury and put him in an important spot in the lineup. As for the home run against Ottavino, I guess that’s why they play the games. Play that matchup 100 times, and Leury probably homers once or twice. Fortunately, tonight was one of them.

At the very least, we seem to have reached a point where we are no longer pushovers in our own ballpark.

harwar
06-14-2019, 05:02 AM
What a year Garcia is having, at the plate and in the field, he is all that you could ask for right now . TA belongs in the All-Star game . "This is the year that Tim Anderson is becoming a star" David Cone, Yankees color guy . love seeing the bullpen shut it down like they did . fairly excited for tonight's game, Gio going against the Yankees, and possibly reach .500 . a huge game for Gio, who already is getting national attention . if he pitches like he has been doing tonight, he could possibly be the All-Star game starter.

rdivaldi
06-14-2019, 08:17 AM
Herrera hitting 98 on the TV gun was sweet to see too. Starting to see a solid late inning bullpen develop.

It's a good thing that you mentioned this. Watching Herrera this season, it was very disappointing to see his early season struggles and looking at the radar gun readings it wasn't too surprising. For the last few games, he looks more confident and it's not coincidental that the radar gun numbers are rising.

MARCH
4 Seam Avg: 94.51
4 Seam Max: 96.23

APRIL
4 Seam Avg: 95.92
4 Seam Max: 98.25

MAY
4 Seam Avg: 96.50
4 Seam Max: 99.01

If the Sox can keep his workload reasonable and he can stay healthy I would imagine that triple digits are right around the corner.

asindc
06-14-2019, 08:18 AM
fun night at the ballpark. Lively crowd (lots of yankees fans) and a tense, exciting game. every time leury garcia gets a hit, mohoney's heart breaks
a little. :d:

:)

XplodingScorbord
06-14-2019, 08:25 AM

The MLB Tonight guys were heaping praise on Leury, especially his defense.

TomBradley72
06-14-2019, 08:57 AM
Getting a come from behind win against the Yankees in a June home night game- it's just fun and exciting- it's been so long since we were any good AND this likeable/young at the same time.

It's great to see a young team win a tight 1 run game- pretty big night for Bummer- that was a high pressure save opportunity and he delivered.

Tonight is probably the biggest game for the White Sox in a very long time (not that we're going for the World Series, or anything like that)- a Friday night home game vs. the Yankees with our ace on the bump, and a chance to get to .500 and a chance to pull within 1.5 games of the 2nd Wild Card.

If nothing else- great experience for the youngsters and a chance for some energy for the fans on the Southside.

Railsplitter
06-14-2019, 09:48 AM
Keep on winning!
:bandance::bandance:

Noneck
06-14-2019, 11:52 AM
Tonights the the night for Lucas Boy to gun down the yanks for the world to see.

DumpJerry
06-14-2019, 12:23 PM
Tonights the the night for Lucas Boy to gun down the yanks for the world to see.
If he mows down the Yanks, ESPN will start rumors that Cashman and Hahn are talking about a "Giolito for a haul" trade.

TommyJohn
06-14-2019, 12:35 PM
If he mows down the Yanks, ESPN will start rumors that Cashman and Hahn are talking about a "Giolito for a haul" trade.

And Bruce Levine will propose Giolito, Anderson, Moncada and Jimenez to the Cubs in exchange for Ian Happ and a couple of Class A players.

blurry
06-14-2019, 12:41 PM
Don't be ridiculous.

Bruce Levine would suggest Ben Zobrist.

Chez
06-14-2019, 01:08 PM
And Bruce Levine propose Giolito, Anderson, Moncada and Jimenez to the Cubs in exchange for Ian Happ and a couple of Class A players.

Speaking of Sox/Cubs trades, if the Cubs offered Darvish and enough money to pay 3/4 of Darvish's contract for Colome, do you think the Sox should take the deal?

DumpJerry
06-14-2019, 01:13 PM
Speaking of Sox/Cubs trades, if the Cubs offered Darvish and enough money to pay 3/4 of Darvish's contract for Colome, do you think the Sox should take the deal?
The company that pays the Sox' medical bills said "no."

Mohoney
06-14-2019, 01:21 PM
I would rather send Colomé and Abreu to the Astros, send cash and offer to take back Yuli Gurriel’s bad money to get the Astros under the tax line, and ask for Derek Fisher and Seth Beer for my troubles.

ChiSoxNationPres
06-14-2019, 01:37 PM
I would rather send Colomé and Abreu to the Astros, send cash and offer to take back Yuli Gurriel’s bad money to get the Astros under the tax line, and ask for Derek Fisher and Seth Beer for my troubles.

I hope we target pitching at the deadline. I'm thinking packaging Colome and Bummer and getting Josh James, Corbin Martin, or JB Bukauskas. Preferably one of the first 2. Any of that group should be ready to contribute to the '20 rotation.

The Braves also line up well for a similar deal from their high level pitching prospects.

kobo
06-14-2019, 01:42 PM
No. Hell no.

Noneck
06-14-2019, 02:03 PM

I cant remember this ownership sending cash in a trade.

asindc
06-14-2019, 02:07 PM

The Cubs could offer to pay all of Darvish’s salary and my answer would still be NO.

Mohoney
06-14-2019, 02:42 PM
I cant remember this ownership sending cash in a trade.
I freely admit that this is the major problem. For some reason, this team abhors sending straight cash in trades. However, I have seen them take back bad contracts in trades. When they traded Frazier, Robertson, and Kahnle, they took back Tyler Clippard instead of just sending cash. Maybe it's a psychological thing where they feel they need to be getting some utility out of the money, even if it's bad utility. That is why I suggested the Gurriel swap. He absolutely sucks and will cost $8.4 million next year, but he has "positional versatility," and his cost is basically the same as what they are paying Alonso to absolutely suck.

longtimefan
06-14-2019, 04:19 PM
The Cubs could offer to pay all of Darvish’s salary and my answer would still be NO.

I think the Cubs made a big mistake getting Darvish and paying all that cash. I don't trust his mental toughness. So I wouldn't make the Cubs mistake, my teams mistake.

kittle42
06-14-2019, 09:59 PM
I don't trust his mental toughness.

Give me a break. He's not Rick Ankiel.

voodoochile
06-14-2019, 10:00 PM
Give me a break. He's not Rick Ankiel.

Besides... we've got Coop... and Coop will fix 'em....:D: