PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 6/11/19 It's Eloy's World We're All Just Living In It Postgamer

voodoochile
06-11-2019, 10:38 PM
WOW! That ball was CRUSHED. I said it a week ago, he's about to get hot and he is. OPS is in the mid-700's right now and I expect it to go WAY up in the next month. He's laying off the low breaking stuff and killing anything up in the zone.

No way we win this one I thought before the game started - with the caveat... unless the bats get really hot. And they did.

2-games under... a...gain...

:soxwin:

:)

JermaineDye05
06-11-2019, 10:53 PM
Maybe this post is better suited for the "Rick Renteria Haters Thread."

Was it necessary for Colome to be going over 40 pitches tonight? I only caught the final two at bats, but he looked completely gassed. I do understand the Sox are limited in the bullpen, but that seemed a little unnecessary.

hoosiersoxfan
06-11-2019, 11:05 PM
Maybe this post is better suited for the "Rick Renteria Haters Thread."

Was it necessary for Colome to be going over 40 pitches tonight? I only caught the final two at bats, but he looked completely gassed. I do understand the Sox are limited in the bullpen, but that seemed a little unnecessary.

I thought he was the only option at that point really. He had to come in to bail Bummer out in the 8th and both Marshall and Herrera had already pitched. I didn't want to see Osich, Ruiz, Minaya, or Vieira anywhere near the mound in a close game in the 9th. Day off tomorrow too so Colome will have the day to rest up.

voodoochile
06-11-2019, 11:07 PM
I thought he was the only option at that point really. He had to come in to bail Bummer out in the 8th and both Marshall and Herrera had already pitched. I didn't want to see Osich, Ruiz, Minaya, or Vieira anywhere near the mound in a close game in the 9th. Day off tomorrow too so Colome will have the day to rest up.

And another one Monday and another one next Thursday. Lots of time off coming up.

TDog
06-11-2019, 11:24 PM
It took Banuelos about 35 pitches to get his second out. I didn't think there was any way the Sox would be in this game tonight, especially after Garcia and Anderson went down quickly in the top of the first.

The key to this one, obviously, was the Castillo grand slam that turned the game around. The key to the grand slam was Corbin's inability, perhaps unwillingness to throw strikes. He had both McCann and Jimenez down in the count with two strikes and walked them before going 2-0 on Castillo with the bases loaded. It was as if being up in the count, he wasn't going to give them anything to hit.

Given a second life, facing the bottom third of the order, Banuelos came back throwing strikes and would have gotten the win if he hadn't run out of gas with two outs in the fifth. Meanwhile, the Sox added runs in the next two Jimenez at bats, with the home run and the RBI double that led to the seventh run after Sanchez drove in Jimenez. From there, even with Banuelos unable to go five after a rough, albeit only two-run first, the game shouldn't have been as close as it ended up.

Monday, the Nats charged runs to every pitcher the Sox sent to the mound. Tonight, they didn't score against Marshall, who hasn't given up an earned run in the majors since he was an Indian last year. And Herrera, pitched a scoreless inning to get his ERA under 7. The Nats did most of the damage this series against the bullpen, and they weren't facing the cream of the Sox starting rotation.

The Nats are another team with a losing record, and it appears the schedule is going to get more difficult. Maybe the Sox are getting better, learning a few things. But the pitching continues to look shallow, both in the rotation and the bullpen. When the season is over, this game, this series could be the point where fans can look back and see a season that went into a losing free fall or began to develop a winning attitude by holding their own against consistently tougher opponents.

voodoochile
06-11-2019, 11:35 PM
It took Banuelos about 35 pitches to get his second out. I didn't think there was any way the Sox would be in this game tonight, especially after Garcia and Anderson went down quickly in the top of the first.

The key to this one, obviously, was the Castillo grand slam that turned the game around. The key to the grand slam was Corbin's inability, perhaps unwillingness to throw strikes. He had both McCann and Jimenez down in the count with two strikes and walked them before going 2-0 on Castillo with the bases loaded. It was as if being up in the count, he wasn't going to give them anything to hit.

Given a second life, facing the bottom third of the order, Banuelos came back throwing strikes and would have gotten the win if he hadn't run out of gas with two outs in the fifth. Meanwhile, the Sox added runs in the next two Jimenez at bats, with the home run and the RBI double that led to the seventh run after Sanchez drove in Jimenez. From there, even with Banuelos unable to go five after a rough, albeit only two-run first, the game shouldn't have been as close as it ended up.

Monday, the Nats charged runs to every pitcher the Sox sent to the mound. Tonight, they didn't score against Marshall, who hasn't given up an earned run in the majors since he was an Indian last year. And Herrera, pitched a scoreless inning to get his ERA under 7. The Nats did most of the damage this series against the bullpen, and they weren't facing the cream of the Sox starting rotation.

The Nats are another team with a losing record, and it appears the schedule is going to get more difficult. Maybe the Sox are getting better, learning a few things. But the pitching continues to look shallow, both in the rotation and the bullpen. When the season is over, this game, this series could be the point where fans can look back and see a season that went into a losing free fall or began to develop a winning attitude by holding their own against consistently tougher opponents.

Bullpen could be coming back around again. If Herrera is returning to form and Bummer keeps pitching well that gives them three guys to count on late in games. I still don't trust Marshall to keep it going. He's never had a lot of success at the major league level, but maybe he finally figured something out. I just expect the other shoe to drop eventually. But if he continues to throw well the Sox will have 4 guys to turn to late in games and that's the start of a solid bullpen. Heck Minaya might even be a guy they can count on if they just stop bringing him into games with runners on base. Let him start innings only and he might end up helping.

And as for me, I'd settle for Eloy and Abreu getting white hot over the next month and no worry so much about their toughness.

slavko
06-12-2019, 12:09 AM

Took some guts to lay off good bait pitches by Eloy and James. My key was Eaton taking a 3-0 cookie fastball right down Broadway with the sacks packed before going 3-2 and flying out in the 8th. Ah, I still like you as a player ON THE FIELD. You got a day to rest, Alex. It's not our fault you always throw too many pitches.

harwar
06-12-2019, 04:53 AM
Eloy seems to have learned so fast how to lay off the sliders and other breaking stuff . the ball just jumps off his bat like he's hitting one of those superballs . i foresee a time when they will just go ahead and put him on, instead of trying to pitch to him . The White Sox get mostly ignored by the national media, but in the next two series they will step into the spotlight, so i'm a bit nervous as to how they will play against the Yankees and Cubs.

blurry
06-12-2019, 07:18 AM
The Eloy home run was ridiculous. Benetti said 462 feet but it seemed further than that. And his swing seemed so effortless.

I know Moncada and Abreu have power but Eloy is on another level.

Railsplitter
06-12-2019, 07:38 AM
People on the OF concourse will have to start designating lookouts when Eloy comes to bat.
:bandance:

Frater Perdurabo
06-12-2019, 08:00 AM
People on the OF concourse will have to start designating lookouts when Eloy comes to bat.

This year is the 60th anniversary of the 1959 White Sox, who upon clinching the AL Pennant were honored by Fire Commissioner Robert Quinn ordering the city’s air raid sirens sounded for five minutes. It being the height of the Cold War, many Chicago residents feared Russian bombs were on their way.

It would be very cool if the Sox were to sound an air raid siren in the park whenever a home run over 450 feet were to be hit. Of course, they should let fans know that in advance, so as not to incite even a momentary panic.

Chez
06-12-2019, 08:04 AM
Happy to see Herrera throw a clean inning. Seems like it had been forever since his last one. Bummer had his first hiccup all season. It looked like Aaron couldn't find his release point -- he was all over the place. Hopefully he returns to form for his next outing. The Sox will need an effective and deep bullpen for the Yankees series.

MeteorsSox4367
06-12-2019, 09:52 AM
I was sitting down the RF line in the lower deck and watching Eloy's bomb was absolutely majestic. And they cheated him on the distance. That had to be more than 462 feet.

Still, the idea that one of the top young players in MLB with a swing like that plays for my favorite team fills this old man with great joy and optimism.

Harry Chappas
06-12-2019, 10:21 AM
Scary thing about Eloy is that he's still filling out his frame. Right now, he has a naturally strong build but not one that has been shaped by years and years of strength training and conditioning. He's only going to get stronger.

The other thing I've noticed is how absolutely effortless his swing is. I was watching last night's game and while you could tell by his reaction that he got a hold of it, it took me a moment to realize how hard it was hit because his swing was so fluid.

I also think the 462' number is off. Where it appeared to land on the fan deck would suggest it was further. I was curious about the longest HR in Sox history and was surprised that it is attributed to Avisail Garcia at 480+. I figured it'd be Borchard's blast to right or maybe one of Thome's bombs but I'm not sure if they kept track back then.

voodoochile
06-12-2019, 10:26 AM
Scary thing about Eloy is that he's still filling out his frame. Right now, he has a naturally strong build but not one that has been shaped by years and years of strength training and conditioning. He's only going to get stronger.

The other thing I've noticed is how absolutely effortless his swing is. I was watching last night's game and while you could tell by his reaction that he got a hold of it, it took me a moment to realize how hard it was hit because his swing was so fluid.

I also think the 462' number is off. Where it appeared to land on the fan deck would suggest it was further. I was curious about the longest HR in Sox history and was surprised that it is attributed to Avisail Garcia at 480+. I figured it'd be Borchard's blast to right or maybe one of Thome's bombs but I'm not sure if they kept track back then.

Eloy is going to set the record and I won't be surprised if it happens soon. I'm also surprised that none of the "roof shots" from old Comiskey are longer than 480. Is Avisail's the GRF record or all time?

asindc
06-12-2019, 10:31 AM

I think Frank reached the LF concourse once, maybe twice.

Was talking to a Nats fan who went to last week's games. He was surprised how big Eloy is person and noticed how he looks smaller in the batting box because of his stance.

DumpJerry
06-12-2019, 11:30 AM
Will Umps get extra Hazard Pay to work Sox games?

First Cordell made the Home Plate Ump a blood donor, then Eloy almost took the head off the Second Base Ump.

rdivaldi
06-12-2019, 12:00 PM
Eloy is going to set the record and I won't be surprised if it happens soon. I'm also surprised that none of the "roof shots" from old Comiskey are longer than 480. Is Avisail's the GRF record or all time?

Actually if I'm not mistaken, those records are only for the Statcast era. The longest home run in Sox Park II history is 504 feet by Joe Borchard in 2004.

Vernam
06-12-2019, 05:56 PM
Amen to all the hosannas for Eloy. The kid also has a personality that gives off sparks in all the right ways so far as I can tell.

I really hope someone's teaching him how to protect himself in the field, because that ankle sprain should've been a wakeup call. One of his first games back, he made the very same move but was fortunate enough to be five feet farther away from the wall. Oh, and to actually catch it.