PDA

View Full Version : Sox players hated by other fanbases

thomas35forever
06-10-2019, 12:51 AM
We all know by now that Tim Anderson isn't exactly Royals fans' favorite opposing player at the moment. In the past, AJ Pierzynski was vilified by just about everyone, but especially Cubs, Twins and Angels fans. Even Jim Thome suffered hate from Indians fans for leaving Cleveland. Is there any other Sox player, past or present, that rubbed fans in other cities the wrong way for one reason or another?

Frater Perdurabo
06-10-2019, 06:19 AM
I think the Sox are the most disliked team among other AL Central city fanbases. For instance, Twins fans hate the Sox more than the Indians, Tigers, or Royals.

To address your question directly, Joe Crede was a notorious Tiger slayer, so I’m sure Tigers fans hated him.

TommyJohn
06-10-2019, 06:31 AM
We all know by now that Tim Anderson isn't exactly Royals fans' favorite opposing player at the moment. In the past, AJ Pierzynski was vilified by just about everyone, but especially Cubs, Twins and Angels fans. Even Jim Thome suffered hate from Indians fans for leaving Cleveland. Is there any other Sox player, past or present, that rubbed fans in other cities the wrong way for one reason or another?

Cub fans hated Frank Thomas. Where do you think the “Big Skirt” crap came from?

Chez
06-10-2019, 07:41 AM
Ozzie (as a manager) seemed to get under the skin of many teams' fan bases (including, towards the end of his run, his own). In general I think you could put together a much longer list of Sox players loathed by their own fans rather than loathed by others!

A. Cavatica
06-10-2019, 07:43 AM
Players hated almost everywhere who I hated just as much in a Sox uniform:
Brett Myers, Wil Cordero, Carl Everett.

TommyJohn
06-10-2019, 08:15 AM
Ozzie (as a manager) seemed to get under the skin of many teams' fan bases (including, towards the end of his run, his own). In general I think you could put together a much longer list of Sox players loathed by their own fans rather than loathed by others!

This is true.

XplodingScorbord
06-10-2019, 08:22 AM

Ha! I don’t recall ever hearing that one, but then, I haven’t lived near Chicago since the 80s. Pretty funny. It’s just jealousy.

Rocky Soprano
06-10-2019, 08:35 AM

I always thought that nickname came from Jay Mariotti.

rdivaldi
06-10-2019, 08:54 AM
I always thought that nickname came from (expletive deleted).

Would appreciate posters not using that kind of offensive language....

He who shall not be named called Frank the Big "Blurt" if I'm not mistaken.

Rocky Soprano
06-10-2019, 09:14 AM
Would appreciate posters not using that kind of offensive language....

He who shall not be named called Frank the Big "Blurt" if I'm not mistaken.

Fair point. I always hated that person.
I think you are right. I knew he had a stupid nickname for Frank.

chisoxjtrain
06-10-2019, 09:17 AM
My Cubs fan friends always hated Carlos Lee as he torched them on the Sox and on the Astros.

cbone
06-10-2019, 09:24 AM
A.J. I think the entire league hated him. Glad he played for us. :gulp:

WhiteSox5187
06-10-2019, 10:39 AM
Jose Valentin mimicked Sammy Sosa's homerun skip and blowing kisses after he hit a big home run against the Cubs at some point in the 2000s. I don't think that went over well with Cubs fans, but I don't know if it registered enough that they hated him for it.

SoxandtheCityTee
06-10-2019, 11:09 AM
Jose Valentin mimicked Sammy Sosa's homerun skip and blowing kisses after he hit a big home run against the Cubs at some point in the 2000s. I don't think that went over well with Cubs fans, but I don't know if it registered enough that they hated him for it.

July 2001. I was at that game. Valentin waited until he was back in the dugout to do the kiss. It did not seem.to provoke a big response --- it was more the media reacting. In those ancient days most people thought it was funny. I think.

Domeshot17
06-10-2019, 11:14 AM
It is really hard to say anyone will ever be as hated as AJ.

The other problem is, usually hated comes from jealousy. Like, I am not happy Keller hit Anderson, but I would care more if we were playing games that REALLY mattered. Since its been so long without a good team, and inconsistent time frames between good teams, its harder to find anyone worth hating.

TommyJohn
06-10-2019, 11:33 AM

Some media members were terribly offended, as I recall.

TDog
06-10-2019, 12:04 PM
It is really hard to say anyone will ever be as hated as AJ.

The other problem is, usually hated comes from jealousy. Like, I am not happy Keller hit Anderson, but I would care more if we were playing games that REALLY mattered. Since its been so long without a good team, and inconsistent time frames between good teams, its harder to find anyone worth hating.

I was at a game in Oakland where Pierzynski was loudly booed when the starting lineups were being announced. That went way back, of course, but his year with the Giants (who released him) might have made things worse.

Cubs fans reflex hatred of White Sox players has been present as long as I've followed baseball. Around 1970, there was a Tribune article talking about the White Sox hatred in the Cubs bleachers (as if fans of a contending team should care about the local struggling team). One of the bleacher bums said of the White Sox outfielders, Walter Williams, Carlos May and Ken Berry, "One has no neck, one has no thumb and one has no brain."

Seriously, that was as likeable outfield as a team could put together. I don't know if Cubs fans were joking a half century earlier about the left fielder having no shoes and the center fielder having no brain. Maybe it was an insult that spanned generations of Cubs fans.

Rocky Soprano
06-10-2019, 12:09 PM
Some media members were terribly offended, as I recall.

The same media members who today, won't give him the time of day.
Not trying to derail this topic, but, has there been a bigger Chicago star to fall from grace as low as Sosa has?

HomeFish
06-10-2019, 12:53 PM
I've definitely heard Tigers fans saying they hate Joe Crede.

AJ Pierzynski will get booed everywhere except the South Side and maybe Minnesota.

PaleHoseRon
06-12-2019, 12:19 PM
Probably more for his time with the Indians, but Albert Belle was disliked by just about everyone.

whitesoxfan1986
06-12-2019, 12:38 PM
AJ was an ass, but he was OUR ass.

Whitesox029
06-20-2019, 11:44 PM
I was at a game in Oakland where Pierzynski was loudly booed when the starting lineups were being announced. That went way back, of course, but his year with the Giants (who released him) might have made things worse.
When you said Oakland I thought of this HR he hit against them in the playoffs in '02, complete with bat flip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7E04IKeG6E
Some of this could have still been lingering for Oakland fans, that could explain it also.