PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 6/9/19 Banner Day for the Rebuild; SOX 5 KC 2 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
06-09-2019, 04:32 PM
Lopez, Moncada, Anderson, Eloy, and Tilson all with solid games.

cbone
06-09-2019, 04:36 PM
Great title, Eloy's bomb was superhuman, what an easy swing, and he looked a little more settled in the outfield.

LITTLE NELL
06-09-2019, 04:38 PM
Lopez, Moncada, Anderson, Eloy, and Tilson all with solid games.

Quite a blast from Eloy, 471 ft to straightaway center field. 2-3 road trip, could have been better.

TommyJohn
06-09-2019, 05:02 PM
Quite a blast from Eloy, 471 ft to straightaway center field. 2-3 road trip, could have been better.

471 to straightaway center? Seriously? Damn. In old Comiskey, that one is well into the centerfield bleachers.

LITTLE NELL
06-09-2019, 05:06 PM
471 to straightaway center? Seriously? Damn. In old Comiskey, that one is well into the centerfield bleachers.

Straightaway CF is only the direction, maybe I should have said dead center, I know where it would have landed at old Comiskey, good grief.

Frater Perdurabo
06-09-2019, 05:16 PM
In his last 7 games, Eloy is slashing .308/.333/.615. That’s a .948 OPS.

TommyJohn
06-09-2019, 05:25 PM
Straightaway CF is only the direction, maybe I should have said dead center, I know where it would have landed at old Comiskey, good grief.

Ummm… I was just stating it as a fact, marveling at it, basically, not educating you. I know you know where it would have landed, good grief.

blurry
06-09-2019, 05:27 PM
Eloy's HR:

https://bdata-producedclips.mlb.com/0d7b049b-0c72-4898-ab2d-c60c41bfe2b0.mp4

The angle of that ball was only 25°. That's a Dick Allen HR right there.

Grzegorz
06-09-2019, 05:31 PM
Just imagine if Dick Allen could hit against today's quality pitching with these baseballs.

LITTLE NELL
06-09-2019, 05:43 PM
Just imaging if Dick Allen could hit against today's quality pitching with these baseballs.

Brandon Lowe of the Ray's who is 5'10" tall and weighs 185 hit one today 455 feet at Fenway. This is becoming a joke. That ball would have also landed in the CF bleachers at old Comiskey.

Grzegorz
06-09-2019, 05:47 PM
Brandon Lowe of the Ray's who is 5'10" tall and weighs 185 hit one today 455 feet at Fenway. This is becoming a joke. That ball would have also landed in the CF bleachers at old Comiskey.

"Brandon Lowe went on an offensive tear with two homers, his second multi-home run game of the season. He hit an authoritative shot to center field in the sixth inning off Boston starter Eduardo Rodriguez that traveled a massive 455 feet with a 109.6 mph exit velocity, according to Statcast."

https://www.mlb.com/news/blake-snell-gets-run-support-with-four-home-runs

Yep, it sure is Little Nell. With another today Tommy LaStella has how many HRs now?

Chez
06-09-2019, 06:04 PM
Anyone else catch Lopez skyping with Lucas's high school coach before the game? Seriously, good to see him command his off-speed pitches. He pitched well [albeit against a weak line-up].

harwar
06-09-2019, 07:54 PM
Yea, i mentioned the Dick Allen comparison back in May when he hit 2 against the Astro's . his swing just reminded me of watching Dick (don't call me Richie) Allen . i had two hero's growing up on the south side, Bobby Hull and Dick Allen . i still have both of their sweater/Jerseys, that i got way back when.

Tragg
06-09-2019, 08:25 PM
3 relievers with WHIP below .8.
3 starters with WHIP above 1.6
4 hitters with OPS >.800
the rest of the hitters have OPS <.700 going into today. None in the .700s, although I think Eloy moved into the .700s after today.

A lot of good and a lot of not-so-good.

shingo10
06-09-2019, 08:48 PM
Seeing Yost's reaction when TA doubled in a run in the 8th was priceless. Love beating KC!!

blandman
06-09-2019, 08:55 PM
Eloy is starting to establish himself. It won't be long before it's obvious he's a perennial MVP candidate and the best hitter in this rebuild.

I still have my doubts we'll be able to supplement enough to be a contender for a World Series (especially rotation wise), but a lineup in two years that starts Madrigal-Anderson-Moncada-Eloy-Vaughn-Robert is going to hit it's way to a lot of victories. 2021 should be a lot of fun.

DumpJerry
06-09-2019, 09:03 PM
Was Lopez wearing Giolito's undershirt today?

asindc
06-09-2019, 09:42 PM

I think he got ahold of Gio’s HS coach’s twitter handle.

Railsplitter
06-09-2019, 09:44 PM
Yes
:bandance::bandance:

TDog
06-09-2019, 11:42 PM

It was Lopez's first strong outing in a month, since he beat Cleveland 5-2. It could be that he's just inconsistent, a trait that afflicts most starters in the majors, certainly the ones that that are in the middle between the elite and the one who start what are expected to be the bullpen games. (Inconsistency, thy name is Nova, of course.) Those fond of statistics should imagine a bell curve.

On the other hand, his last start against the Royals was disappointing and his start before his last win against the Indians was a disappointing start against the Indians. His last two strong outings have come against teams that should have been familiar with him (the Royals have gotten to him a couple of times this year, charging him with 9 earned runs in 9.2 innings). He followed his comeback win against the Indians with a well-pitched start against the Blue Jays that went down as bullpen loss (which is going to happen sometimes if you can only go six innings), but the next three weaker starts show he isn't on a straight line of growth. He's simply been inconsistent.

The big difference between Lopez and Giolito when Lopez is at his best is that Lopez can't go as deep into his starts, which means going deeper into the bullpen. Deeper into the bullpen isn't a place to go when your start is followed by three (barring off-days and/or rain) even less consistent starters.

Today, I was happy to see the luxury of Herrera being able to pitch the ninth, but if Herrera was set to pitch the ninth, it would have been nice for the Sox to add on after loading the bases with one out. Fortunately, only the first two hitters in the bottom of the ninth hinted at a scary end to the series.

This should have been a series sweep, with the best three starters going up against the Royals. I was working Friday night, but following the last couple of innings on my way home, it appeared to be a winnable game.

Eventually, the Sox will have to start playing tougher teams. Beating up on the Royals and more often than not outplaying the Indians doesn't mean they have a Central title run in them, even if the Twins collapse, but they don't look like a last-place team.

ChiTownTrojan
06-10-2019, 08:39 AM
It was Lopez's first strong outing in a month, since he beat Cleveland 5-2. It could be that he's just inconsistent, a trait that afflicts most starters in the majors, certainly the ones that that are in the middle between the elite and the one who start what are expected to be the bullpen games. (Inconsistency, thy name is Nova, of course.) Those fond of statistics should imagine a bell curve.

Actually a bell curve is what you should imagine for a very consistent pitcher. With Lopez, it's more of a bimodal distribution.

The big difference between Lopez and Giolito when Lopez is at his best is that Lopez can't go as deep into his starts, which means going deeper into the bullpen. Deeper into the bullpen isn't a place to go when your start is followed by three (barring off-days and/or rain) even less consistent starters.

The fact that Lopez isn't lasting as long as Giolito in his starts is one of many differences between the two right now. And one of his biggest problems lately is that Renteria has been leaving him in the game too long. I would be thrilled if Lopez could consistently give six solid innings like he did last night.

Tragg
06-10-2019, 08:52 AM
Lopez just walks too many and give up too many homers. Probably both a result of lack of command - trying to hit spots and missing. Fix that and he'll use fewer pitches and last longer. He's frustrating, but hopefully pulls it together.

Banuelos does the same thing, but more extreme.

Both have decent K numbers, so I'm guessing there's good raw talent.

TDog
06-10-2019, 12:51 PM
Actually a bell curve is what you should imagine for a very consistent pitcher. With Lopez, it's more of a bimodal distribution.

The fact that Lopez isn't lasting as long as Giolito in his starts is one of many differences between the two right now. And one of his biggest problems lately is that Renteria has been leaving him in the game too long. I would be thrilled if Lopez could consistently give six solid innings like he did last night.

My bell curve was the distribution of the quality of starting pitchers in the majors. I'm sorry if I didn't make that more clear. Obviously, plotting the quality of Lopez's starts, or Nova's starts for that matter, don't give you a bell-shaped curve.

The argument that Renteria is leaving Lopez in the game took long really only works if you consider Lopez is a inconsistent or mediocre starter. who isn't expected to get through six innings. He has only pitched into the seventh once this year. Renteria could make Lopez look better by taking him out after four or five, but that is less than you need out of a quality starting pitcher. If you're looking at this season as a season of development, getting Lopez to work deeper into games is what you should be doing. If you were grooming him for a trade, the priority might be to protect his stats.

Striking out 14 in six shutout innings (or six innings giving up just an unearned run) isn't as impressive as striking out 12 in eight without giving up anything. It isn't as if you could extrapolate the 14 strikeouts over six to 20 or 21 strikeouts. If you can only go six, the point is moot, and you're doing the opposition a favor by bringing in a middle reliever in the seventh. If you're a starting pitcher, it isn't just about what you do when you're in there. It's about how long you are the game and how long you aren't in the game. It's about getting out hitters the third time they've seen you, and even getting out the best hitters at the top of the order a fourth time.