PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 6/8/19 Eloy builds 74 Lumber atop Gio’s 7.2 scoreless Postgamer

thomas35forever
06-08-2019, 03:43 PM
This man cannot be stopped right now. Make him the AL All-Star starter yesterday.

JermaineDye05
06-08-2019, 03:45 PM
This is from yesterday:

Daryl Van Schouwen
@CST_soxvan
From White Sox notes: Sox are 24-1 when leading after five innings, 21-1 when leading after six, 22-0 when leading after seven and 23-0 after eight.
2:39 PM · Jun 7, 2019

Also, what more can be said about Giolito? He’s on a vintage Sale level right now. Possibly better. He doesn’t get as many strikeouts, no. But the kid is just clearly in control of everything he does out there. Every hitter just looks so overmatched.

Frater Perdurabo
06-08-2019, 03:46 PM
Yost can go pound sand...

harwar
06-08-2019, 03:49 PM
Just a great game to watch . starting to wonder if Gio will be a 20 game winner this year.

Frater Perdurabo
06-08-2019, 03:54 PM
Just a great game to watch . starting to wonder if Gio will be a 20 game winner this year.

He seems to be collecting all the regression from all those starts that Sale and Quintana made when they got zero run support or the bullpen blew up.

LoveYourSuit
06-08-2019, 03:59 PM
I honestly didn't think the Sox would have a chance to ever replacing and elite pitching talent of the level of Chris Sale, what Lucas has done these 2 months is Chris Sale Level.

Now let's not disappoint and let a stud like this get away because the surrounding core wasn't enough.

LET'S GO!!!

Harry Chappas
06-08-2019, 04:26 PM
It’s astounding that the cost for Gio was Eaton. Sox get plenty of flack for player development or lack thereof but they’ve done a masterful job with Gio. It’s one of the reasons I really like the prep pitcher they took in the second.

On the rebuild front, not much offense but hits from both Moncada and Anderson plus homer for Eloy.

Paulwny
06-08-2019, 05:52 PM
It’s astounding that the cost for Gio was Eaton. Sox get plenty of flack for player development or lack thereof but they’ve done a masterful job with Gio. It’s one of the reasons I really like the prep pitcher they took in the second.

On the rebuild front, not much offense but hits from both Moncada and Anderson plus homer for Eloy.

Gio credits his HS coach for working with him during the off season to change his arm angle.
Sox get little to no credit for his improvement.

Harry Chappas
06-08-2019, 06:01 PM
Gio credits his HS coach for working with him during the off season to change his arm angle.
Sox get little to no credit for his improvement.

None? You don’t think they had a anything to do with it even if continuing to work with him on the mechanical changes initiated by his HS coach? Or game-planning? Or using advanced analytics (see pre-game Stone interview)?

Lol. I forgot - Sox only get credit when a player fails. If they succeed it’s “Yeah, but...”

Paulwny
06-08-2019, 06:05 PM
None? You don’t think they had a anything to do with it even if continuing to work with him on the mechanical changes initiated by his HS coach? Or game-planning? Or using advanced analytics (see pre-game Stone interview)?

Lol. I forgot - Sox only get credit when a player fails. If they succeed it’s “Yeah, but...”

Yea, they really helped him last year, they had no clue what to do.

JermaineDye05
06-08-2019, 06:18 PM
So I believe after today, Giolito is second in the majors with a 2.47 FIP. Meanwhile, Reynaldo Lopez finds himself dead last in that particular stat unfortunately. And I thought Lopez was going to wind up being the best of the three pitchers in that trade. That’s baseball for you.

Frater Perdurabo
06-08-2019, 06:57 PM
So I believe after today, Giolito is second in the majors with a 2.47 FIP. Meanwhile, Reynaldo Lopez finds himself dead last in that particular stat unfortunately. And I thought Lopez was going to wind up being the best of the three pitchers in that trade. That’s baseball for you.

If this is an approximation of the Giolito we’ll have for a few years - even with a bit of regression - then López and Dunning could never throw another pitch and it would still be a steal for Eaton. Anything we get from those two will be gravy.

Eaton is a very good player - when he’s actually healthy - but I’ll take the legit #1 starter.

Let’s hope López can become even just a serviceable, innings-eating starter, because Giolito, Kopech and Cease as 1-2-3 are going to be formidable.

rdivaldi
06-08-2019, 07:24 PM

Somehow he managed to pitch well from June until August last year. Maybe his HS coach called him in June.....

Or maybe his velocity has come back and his hard work with his HS coach and with the White Sox has paid off.

Mohoney
06-08-2019, 08:11 PM
He also ditched the 2-seamer, a pitch that hitters tattooed last year.

Brian26
06-08-2019, 08:11 PM
Giolito's former HS coach is the SF Giants minor league pitching coordinator, so he is legitimate. Every time someone brings this up, it reads to me like a jab at Coop and the Sox. Hey, someone's HS coach knows more than these guys!

Bottom line, Giolito talked to this guy over the winter. The Sox talk to Giolito every day. Not giving the Sox credit for his success this year is silly.

blurry
06-08-2019, 08:20 PM
He's now second in fWAR to Strasburg and will probably be top 10 (maybe top 6-7) in bWAR when that gets updated. This is amazing. He was the WORST pitcher in baseball all of last year, and now he's quickly becoming one of the best.

It's amazing how he's surpassed Tim Anderson and Yoan Moncada as the players who have taken the biggest leaps forward so far this year.

Mohoney
06-08-2019, 08:22 PM
Somehow he managed to pitch well from June until August last year. Maybe his HS coach called him in June.....

Or maybe his velocity has come back and his hard work with his HS coach and with the White Sox has paid off.
I guess, if you consider a 4.59 ERA, 1.4 HR/9, 3.8 BB/9, and a WPA of -.384 “good.”

mzh
06-08-2019, 09:04 PM
I guess, if you consider a 4.59 ERA, 1.4 HR/9, 3.8 BB/9, and a WPA of -.384 “good.”
To be fair, that was a bit general--he did have a ten start stretch, about a third of the season, from July 8th through August 30th where he gave a 3.82 ERA, +.303 WPA, and almost a K/9 in 6+ IP per start, which is by no means excellent but solidly above average.

It seems like Lopez is having the same kind of season this year that Gio did last year. Gio showed flashes, most notably during that stretch above (I distinctly remember one start against Boston during that stretch in which he looked like the pitcher we've seen all of this year) but every time it looked like he was making progress he would unload a 7 run stinker and go back to square one.

Either way, great to see that he was smart enough to adjust his game to pitch to his strengths. If Kopech ever comes close to hitting his ceiling they're gonna have a hell of a rotation to deal with. Having one of Cease or Rodon as a 4 or 5 starter would be tailor made for a deep playoff run.

Railsplitter
06-08-2019, 09:16 PM
That's more like it!

longtimefan
06-08-2019, 10:28 PM
It's amazing how he's surpassed Tim Anderson and Yoan Moncada as the players who have taken the biggest leaps forward so far this year.

Feels good when you have several of your young talent showing much improvement. I still can't stop thinking where we would be if Rodon and Kopeck had not got hurt.

HomeFish
06-08-2019, 10:51 PM
Can Giolito win comeback player of the year or do you need to actually be good first before being bad to win that.

BRDSR
06-08-2019, 11:21 PM
Can Giolito win comeback player of the year or do you need to actually be good first before being bad to win that.

lol...he was good as some level at some point! Obvious winner, imho. :D:

thomas35forever
06-08-2019, 11:26 PM
Giolito's former HS coach is the SF Giants minor league pitching coordinator, so he is legitimate. Every time someone brings this up, it reads to me like a jab at Coop and the Sox. Hey, someone's HS coach knows more than these guys!

Bottom line, Giolito talked to this guy over the winter. The Sox talk to Giolito every day. Not giving the Sox credit for his success this year is silly.

You don't get it. Sox fans have determined that no one currently in the organization is good at anything, so they deserve no credit whatsoever.

XplodingScorbord
06-08-2019, 11:33 PM
Have everyone in the organization talk with Giolito’s high school coach or we’re doomed to failure.

Grzegorz
06-09-2019, 04:12 AM
You don't get it. Sox fans have determined that no one currently in the organization is good at anything, so they deserve no credit whatsoever.
Maybe if you had some media coverage, you know, with reporters asking questions?

As for the pitching staff it still is, well, not so good. SO, BB, WHIP, ERA, ER the team is showing red in all those areas. This has been the case for a number of year, not just 2019.

I expect Giolito to regress back to the mean. The good thing is that he's building on his data set which is constantly resetting his mean.

ChiTownTrojan
06-09-2019, 07:56 AM
I expect Giolito to regress back to the mean. The good thing is that he's building on his data set which is constantly resetting his mean.

That’s not regression to the mean, that’s the mean catching up with his new level of performance.

Here’s (another) encouraging article about the changes Giolito has made this year:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlb.com/amp/news/lucas-giolito-living-up-to-potential.html

blurry
06-09-2019, 08:41 AM
Gi-elite-o among MLB pitchers as of this morning according to

BBRef https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/2019-pitching-leaders.shtml

and Fangraphs https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2019&month=0&season1=2019&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2019-01-01&enddate=2019-12-31&sort=19,d

bWAR 6th
fWAR 2nd
ERA 4th
ERA+ 4th
WINS 1st (tied)
WHIP 5th
FIP 2nd
CG 1st (tied)
Shutouts 1st (tied)
HR/9 3rd

Rey Lopez has taken over the mantle as baseball's worst pitcher.

SoxandtheCityTee
06-09-2019, 08:50 AM
As the discussion is pitching, may I ask without starting a new thread: why no probables listed for even one game of the homestand that starts tomorrow? Is there something afoot?

Edit: I guess they will say something during today's game broadcast, so I will watch for that.

Chez
06-09-2019, 09:23 AM
As the discussion is pitching, may I ask without starting a new thread: why no probables listed for even one game of the homestand that starts tomorrow? Is there something afoot?

Sox may still be deciding if they are going to skip Banuelos again for the Nationals series.

As for Giolito, his turnaround has been astounding. Very happy for him. It will be interesting to see how he does against the Yankees in his next start.

Harry Chappas
06-09-2019, 09:59 AM
I’d recommend anyone interested in the mechanics of pitching to watch the interview with Stone where Gio goes through each of his different grips and talks about changes he’s made in ‘19. As a former pitcher, it was fascinating. He’s a very articulate and confident 24 year old.

He’s got some tough games ahead with likely the Yankees, Cubs, and Red Sox. That’s close to appointment viewing.

voodoochile
06-09-2019, 10:03 AM
Sox may still be deciding if they are going to skip Banuelos again for the Nationals series.

As for Giolito, his turnaround has been astounding. Very happy for him. It will be interesting to see how he does against the Yankees in his next start.

They can't Covey is on the 10-day DL with shoulder inflammation - just announced. Now they have to decide who will pitch the 11th but expect Banuelos on Monday.

ChiTownTrojan
06-09-2019, 10:05 AM

There are also rumblings about a certain someone getting the call up from AAA.

ChiTownTrojan
06-09-2019, 10:06 AM
I’d recommend anyone interested in the mechanics of pitching to watch the interview with Stone where Gio goes through each of his different grips and talks about changes he’s made in ‘19. As a former pitcher, it was fascinating. He’s a very articulate and confident 24 year old.

He’s got some tough games ahead with likely the Yankees, Cubs, and Red Sox. That’s close to appointment viewing.

Link?

Harry Chappas
06-09-2019, 11:15 AM
Link?

I’ll look. It was just before the game yesterday and my DVR caught it. He went through each grip and went into a ton of detail. You can tell he’s a guy who enjoys himself but is very serious about his craft and studies it.

asindc
06-09-2019, 11:20 AM

Some Nats fans thought the same thing when the trade was made.

asindc
06-09-2019, 11:21 AM

I disagree.

rdivaldi
06-10-2019, 09:02 AM
--he did have a ten start stretch, about a third of the season, from July 8th through August 30th where he gave a 3.82 ERA, +.303 WPA, and almost a K/9 in 6+ IP per start, which is by no means excellent but solidly above average.

Yes he did and that's really the point of my post. Those starts follow his velocity chart as well....

Mohoney
06-10-2019, 11:42 AM
There are also rumblings about a certain someone getting the call up from AAA.
Renteria already shot that idea down.

Harry Chappas
06-10-2019, 01:01 PM
Renteria already shot that idea down.

Cease has been pretty inconsistent the last few starts so I don't think it was a tough decision.