PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 5/31/19 Dylan Covey With The Win Postgamer

XplodingScorbord
05-31-2019, 10:02 PM
Solid outing by Covey after the leadoff HR and a jam in the first. Zavala also collects his first MLB hit. Donít stop now boys!

shingo10
05-31-2019, 10:09 PM
Now...can they get to .500 or above? At the very least they'll split the series but this is a chance to make a statement. And my gosh if they had some pitching how things would be...Mercy.

Chez
05-31-2019, 10:11 PM
One of those nights when every flare and duck snort seemed to fall in for the Sox (when the Indians weren't kicking or throwing it away). Consecutive wins by Banuelos and Covey. Gotta love it!

hoosiersoxfan
05-31-2019, 10:12 PM
Carrasco v Banuelos and Bauer v Covey and the Sox come away 2-0 by a combined score of 16-5. Didnít expect that to start this 4 game series. Letís get tomorrow and have Giolito on the bump Sunday going for a 7-0 homestand!

blandman
05-31-2019, 10:12 PM
5 in a row. :gulp:

voodoochile
05-31-2019, 10:15 PM
Pssst.... Sox are tied for second...

Nice win. So many small ball heroes tonight. Dink and dunked them to death.

Eloy looking nice and relaxed in LF and even made another nice catch.

This is fun...

:soxwin:

:)

LakeShoreSox
05-31-2019, 10:21 PM
One of those nights when every flare and duck snort seemed to fall in for the Sox (when the Indians weren't kicking or throwing it away). Consecutive wins by Banuelos and Covey. Gotta love it!

Twice so far this season the Sox had a chance to put away a 4-game series win but punted it. I feel good about the Giolito start on Sunday, but I am also greedy and really want to see Nova turn in a solid start tomorrow. The wins from Covey and Banuelos are a gift, with the stellar run support a bonus.

The nightcap against the Royals was frustrating because all 12 hits were singles and we managed only 4 runs in that game. Today, although only 1 of the 10 hits were XBH, the hitting was far more opportune and plating 6 runs across 3 middle innings is not bad--solid knockout punch.

Maybe the most satisfying part of the offense from the last 5 wins has been seeing the Sox manage productive outs. I lost track of how many sac flys Abreu has (maybe just 3 but it feels like more) during this stretch, but even the non-RBI outs have advanced runners. The Sox are plating runners after errors. Not every SB attempt has been successful but a number have led to runs. Sox have grounded into no double plays since Wednesday and only 3 during the win streak. I'm not convinced we won't fall back into failing in situational baseball, but I think this is something to build on.

voodoochile
05-31-2019, 10:34 PM
Twice so far this season the Sox had a chance to put away a 4-game series win but punted it. I feel good about the Giolito start on Sunday, but I am also greedy and really want to see Nova turn in a solid start tomorrow. The wins from Covey and Banuelos are a gift, with the stellar run support a bonus.

The nightcap against the Royals was frustrating because all 12 hits were singles and we managed only 4 runs in that game. Today, although only 1 of the 10 hits were XBH, the hitting was far more opportune and plating 6 runs across 3 middle innings is not bad--solid knockout punch.

Maybe the most satisfying part of the offense from the last 5 wins has been seeing the Sox manage productive outs. I lost track of how many sac flys Abreu has (maybe just 3 but it feels like more) during this stretch, but even the non-RBI outs have advanced runners. The Sox are plating runners after errors. Not every SB attempt has been successful but a number have led to runs. Sox have grounded into no double plays since Wednesday and only 3 during the win streak. I'm not convinced we won't fall back into failing in situational baseball, but I think this is something to build on.

There's been a concerted effort by the team to go the other way or up the middle recently. You can see it.

voodoochile
05-31-2019, 10:57 PM
Can Minaya be a closer? He seems to do well when he doesn't enter the game with men on base.

thomas35forever
05-31-2019, 11:23 PM
Winning is contagious. Hopefully this time, we can actually get to .500.

slavko
05-31-2019, 11:51 PM
Can Minaya be a closer? He seems to do well when he doesn't enter the game with men on base.

He's already been a successful closer for us after David Robertson was traded away. This doesn't necessarily mean that I think he's any good.

LoveYourSuit
05-31-2019, 11:53 PM
If Eloy and Alonso start hitting in the middle of the order, this line-up has a good chance to bail out the mediocre Starting Pitching any night going forward.

And then having Cease and Robert in your back pocket if things get very interesting, I can dream right?

voodoochile
06-01-2019, 12:01 AM
If Eloy and Alonso start hitting in the middle of the order, this line-up has a good chance to bail out the mediocre Starting Pitching any night going forward.

And then having Cease and Robert in your back pocket if things get very interesting, I can dream right?

Cease for sure. I'll be surprised if Robert makes it up, but Eloy hasn't really started to hit consistently either yet. I expect that to change as the season goes along.

TDog
06-01-2019, 12:15 AM

Minaya assumed the White Sox closer role in the middle of August 2017. He had already closed out a couple of lopsided losses and pitched the ninth inning in a win in a non-save situation. He had three saves and a relief win (after a three-up-three-down ninth, Anderson doubled and Sanchez singled him home for a 3-2 win against the Tigers), before losing a save opportunity in Minneapolis and converting his last six save opportunities.

As I recall, there was some WSI love for Minaya in those closer days, but Soria was closing games at the start of 2018. Colome got a couple of saves in White Sox games in April 2018 as well, but they were White Sox losses and he was pitching for the Rays.

Most of what I read about Minaya in this forum anymore is that he shouldn't be on the White Sox.

Good win tonight, though. Cleveland has not looked good in this series. Tonight, with four errors leading to four unearned runs, the Indians might have done almost as much to beat themselves tonight as the White Sox did to beat them.

Grzegorz
06-01-2019, 04:31 AM
Good win tonight, though. Cleveland has not looked good in this series. Tonight, with four errors leading to four unearned runs, the Indians might have done almost as much to beat themselves tonight as the White Sox did to beat them.
So what? A win is a win.

WSox597
06-01-2019, 07:33 AM
I really like that their record against the Central Division is much better this year. Except for that series in MN, they've been doing pretty well.

And I love seeing the Sox beat the Indians anytime.

Railsplitter
06-01-2019, 07:52 AM
So what? A win is a win.
Indeed.

:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance: Longest winning streak in two years! :gulp:

Tragg
06-01-2019, 08:42 AM
Minaya was used in the 8th and 9th in Aug and Sep of 2017 and ended the season with 5 straight saves. If he's pitching well, he can handle closer
The Sox bullpen has done well, but they don't really have a dominant pitcher out there. I think Ruiz is the only one who throws over 95.

Covey only walked 1, and that was a big help. He throws 95, but still gets killed when he catches too much of the plate. He and Banuelos need to live on the corners (and I guess that's why they usually end up walking a bunch)

longtimefan
06-01-2019, 09:32 AM
I always judge a pitcher by his pitch location in relationship to where the catcher is setting the target. Covey was way off in the first inning (and Lindor made him pay). But he settled down and did a good job as the game progressed. I was wondering if he didn't warm up enough, or adrenaline or whatever. Regardless, the results were good. Nice job.

voodoochile
06-01-2019, 09:35 AM
Minaya assumed the White Sox closer role in the middle of August 2017. He had already closed out a couple of lopsided losses and pitched the ninth inning in a win in a non-save situation. He had three saves and a relief win (after a three-up-three-down ninth, Anderson doubled and Sanchez singled him home for a 3-2 win against the Tigers), before losing a save opportunity in Minneapolis and converting his last six save opportunities.

As I recall, there was some WSI love for Minaya in those closer days, but Soria was closing games at the start of 2018. Colome got a couple of saves in White Sox games in April 2018 as well, but they were White Sox losses and he was pitching for the Rays.

Most of what I read about Minaya in this forum anymore is that he shouldn't be on the White Sox.

He has been terrible when entering the game with men on base or if he gives up a runner or two he seems to fall apart fast so I understand why people are less than enamored with him. However, this season he's been pretty solid when entering the game to start an inning. We are actually seeing development from several relievers even if Fry has taken a step back. Others have done things we never thought they would including Ruiz's huge K with the bases loaded to close out Thursday's win Hopefully it continues.

I was actually surprised they called Santana's miscue and error. That was a tough play. Maybe because if he'd let it go the 2B would have made the play - at least in theory - but that was not an easy grab and I've seen that type of play called a hit before many time. I won't be surprised if it's later overturned.

voodoochile
06-01-2019, 09:36 AM
I always judge a pitcher by his pitch location in relationship to where the catcher is setting the target. Covey was way off in the first inning (and Lindor made him pay). But he settled down and did a good job as the game progressed. I was wondering if he didn't warm up enough, or adrenaline or whatever. Regardless, the results were good. Nice job.

Catcher's often set up in different spots than where the ball will be thrown because they don't want to tip off the batter.

TomBradley72
06-01-2019, 09:57 AM
This run may be connected to a weak schedule, unsustainable BABIP, etc.- but I really don't give a ****- there hasn't been a White Sox team that was this fun to watch and this likeable since (for me) the 2008 White Sox and their last minute run to make the playoffs the last week of the season.

Jimenez plays with so much joy- I cannot wait until he starts to really break through, especially at home- and he's looking a little more athletic and comfortable in LF.

Leury Garcia is playing solid defense and hitting .337 over the past 30 days.

Cordell and Tilson looking like legit 4th/5th outfielders for the future.

Anderson emerging as an All Star- with an "edge" that is extremely rare for a player from the White Sox farm system.

Moncada cooling off from a hot start- but playing a very steady 3rd base, with a reduced K rate and improved hitting from the RH side from his rookie season.

Yolmer hitting .273 over the last 30 days- his best run since May, 2018.

Abreu leading the AL in RBIs, and playing with some real energy- hitting .333 w/RISP

McCann is a diamond in the rough- among the top 3-4 catchers in the AL for OPS, and delivering solid defense and handling the pitchers well.

Bummer and Marshall are pleasant surprises complementing Colome- offsetting Herrera's deterioration after his back injury and Fry's stuggles.

The amazing ascendance of Lucas Giolito.

Dylan Cease is on the doorstep of joining the rotation and plugging one of the holes left by the Kopech, Dunning, Rodon TJ surgeries.

They are starting to play better fundamental baseball overall- they seem "crisper" on defense, they are starting to take the extra base and grab stolen bases- and there is a tangible chemistry and energy with this team.

I'm really excited to see them at 28-29, 1 game out of the Wild Card at the close of May- probably one of our better records at this stage of the season in the last 10 years.

This could all blow up in a few hours if Nova gets rocked by Cleveland, etc.- but it's fun seeing some real signs of progress and a little energy coming back to 35th & Shields.

voodoochile
06-01-2019, 09:59 AM
This run may be connected to a weak schedule, unsustainable BABIP, etc.- but I really don't give a ****- there hasn't been a White Sox team that was this fun to watch and this likeable since (for me) the 2008 White Sox and their last minute run to make the playoffs the last week of the season.

Jimenez plays with so much joy- I cannot wait until he starts to really break through, especially at home- and he's looking a little more athletic and comfortable in LF.

Anderson emerging as an All Star- with an "edge" that is extremely rare for a player from the White Sox farm system.

Moncada cooling off from a hot start- but playing a very steady 3rd base, with a reduced K rate and improved hitting from the RH side from his rookie season.

Abreu leading the AL in RBIs, and playing with some real energy- hitting .333 w/RISP

McCann is a diamond in the rough- among the top 3-4 catchers in the AL for OPS, and delivering solid defense and handling the pitchers well.

Bummer and Marshall are pleasant surprises complementing Colome- offsetting Herrera's deterioration after his back injury and Fry's stuggles.

Dylan Cease is on the doorstep of joining the rotation and plugging one of the holes left by the Kopech, Dunning, Rodon TJ surgeries.

They are starting to play better fundamental baseball overall- they seem "crisper" on defense, they are starting to take the extra base and grab stolen bases- and there is a tangible chemistry and energy with this team.

I'm really excited to see them at 28-29, 1 game out of the Wild Card at the close of May- probably one of our better records at this stage of the season in the last 10 years.

This could all blow up in a few hours if Nova gets rocked by Cleveland, etc.- but it's fun seeing some real signs of progress and a little energy coming back to 35th & Shields.

I completely agree.

WhiteSox5187
06-01-2019, 10:23 AM
Winning is fun but man does Cleveland look bad.

I am not sold on the Sox being legit contenders, they have a brutal stretch of games coming up, but you know what? Good teams beat up on bad teams a lot. Now maybe the Sox arenít good but beating up on Kansas City, Detroit and Cleveland is a good step in the right direction.

TomBradley72
06-01-2019, 10:35 AM

I am not sold on the Sox being legit contenders, they have a brutal stretch of games coming up, but you know what? Good teams beat up on bad teams a lot. Now maybe the Sox arenít good but beating up on Kansas City, Detroit and Cleveland is a good step in the right direction.

The Indians look like they're quitting on Francona.

After a wild pitch Thursday night- the catcher just gave up on chasing the ball down- there was no real shot at getting Yolmer at home- but I thought he gave up pretty easily.

Based on the quality of the other wild card contenders this year, and with 33 games left against KC/CLE/DET- we may hang around for a while. If our series against the elite teams are more like Houston and less like Minnesota, it could be interesting.

I think it's unlikely due to our starting rotation- but every year there are a few surprise teams- so who knows.

voodoochile
06-01-2019, 10:51 AM

Yes, any wins are a positive step. Winning streaks are even bigger steps and the Indians are playing below their talent level, but are still a solid team.

One thing for sure is the Sox are definitely gelling as a team and starting to believe they CAN win. I don't know where they finish the season, but that kind of positive energy can impact a teams ability to win over the course of a season. We've seen what chemistry can do to many times through history.

Of course getting better results from our 3-5 pitchers and the bullpen isn't hurting. Add in Eloy looking competent in LF and Yolmer's defensive work and hot streak with the bat and the team is definitely showing signs of life.

And the IF defense has been excellent for an extended period of time now.

thomas35forever
06-01-2019, 11:15 AM
The Indians look like they're quitting on Francona.

After a wild pitch Thursday night- the catcher just gave up on chasing the ball down- there was no real shot at getting Yolmer at home- but I thought he gave up pretty easily.

Based on the quality of the other wild card contenders this year, and with 33 games left against KC/CLE/DET- we may hang around for a while. If our series against the elite teams are more like Houston and less like Minnesota, it could be interesting.

I think it's unlikely due to our starting rotation- but every year there are a few surprise teams- so who knows.

If the Sox win the next two games, how much do you wanna bet Francona is out of a job Monday?

WhiteSox5187
06-01-2019, 11:27 AM
If the Sox win the next two games, how much do you wanna bet Francona is out of a job Monday?

Iíd be pretty surprised, Francona has a pretty good track record as a manager.

Chez
06-01-2019, 12:28 PM

Can't blame Kluber's or Clevinger's injuries on Francona.

hoosiersoxfan
06-01-2019, 12:35 PM
Iíd be pretty surprised, Francona has a pretty good track record as a manager.

14 straight years of winning record as a manager is pretty impressive no matter the talent. I would take him as the Sox manager in a heartbeat if Cleveland ever let him go.

Mohoney
06-01-2019, 01:01 PM
14 straight years of winning record as a manager is pretty impressive no matter the talent. I would take him as the Sox manager in a heartbeat if Cleveland ever let him go.
Oh absolutely. He even meets the bull**** ďWhite Sox familyĒ criterion.

Hitmen77
06-01-2019, 01:55 PM

Well said. :cool:

PaleHoser
06-01-2019, 02:45 PM
The Sox had their chance to pursue Francona after he left Boston in 2011. They anointed Robin Ventura instead.