PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 5/30/19 Sox Solve Carrasco (finally!) Postgamer

XplodingScorbord
05-30-2019, 11:10 PM
Nice night all around, including some defensive gems, Timís in particular. Four in a row!

voodoochile
05-30-2019, 11:19 PM
Nice little winning streak.

So cool to see so many guys busting out of their mini or prolonged slumps by trying to go the other way and taking what is pitched. Abreu, Eloy, Moncada are all doing this. Heck Yonder did it the other night and looks like he's finally waking up a bit. He's been hitting the ball with so much more authority recently. I figured it was a matter of time before he started to bust out.

Solid game by Banuelos too and the bullpen did a decent job. Too bad about Tim's error to force Fry from the game. I admit I was nervous about Ruiz coming in, but he throws the ball so hard that it was probably the right call. Would be nice if he could ever put it together a bit. He's certainly got some pop.

2 games under...

:soxwin:

:)

Brian26
05-30-2019, 11:22 PM
2 games under...

Which means automatic loss tomorrow :tongue:

Let's break through the wall and get back to one under...then .500 and sole possession of 2nd place.

TDog
05-30-2019, 11:28 PM
Following the game in a car through the Sierra Nevada, I was pretty sure the Sox were going to win this one after Moncada set up Abreu's sacrifice fly with a ground out to the right side. That only gave the Sox a 5-2 lead and probably got lost among the home runs, the runs in the the eighth and such, but moving Garcia's leadoff double to third with one out, scoring leadoff doubles and adding on to leads with good fundamental baseball in general, was good to see.

If it weren't for the Twins, the White Sox would be in a divisional race.

SoxandtheCityTee
05-30-2019, 11:41 PM
While Jace Fry was throwing 31 pitches, 16 of them out of the zone, in the ninth and loading the bases, they kept flashing various of his 2018 stats on the scoreboard. They weren't HOF stuff but man, they were better than this year. He just looks terrible every time I see him pitch now. Ugh.

But a good game, a lovely evening at the ball park -- finally! It's almost June -- and a win against a pitcher who's owned the Sox lately.

slavko
05-31-2019, 12:59 AM
While Jace Fry was throwing 31 pitches, 16 of them out of the zone, in the ninth and loading the bases, they kept flashing various of his 2018 stats on the scoreboard. They weren't HOF stuff but man, they were better than this year. He just looks terrible every time I see him pitch now. Ugh.

But a good game, a lovely evening at the ball park -- finally! It's almost June -- and a win against a pitcher who's owned the Sox lately.

Jace is out of sync. It seems his body and his arm are at odds with each other. The body being slightly ahead of the arm, and the arm motion looking tentative, like he has no confidence in it.

I could fix him. :wink:

Tim's error where he took something off the throw and wound up missing his target reminded me of him last year. I like this year better.

LITTLE NELL
05-31-2019, 05:38 AM
I like the way the team has bounced back after the weekend disaster in Minny.
In other years we would have probably come home and lose a bunch a games to lousy teams like KC. Don't stop now boys!

Camilo, carry-on
05-31-2019, 06:54 AM
Abreu is currently leading the AL in RBI with 49, and he's only hitting .255. Pretty amazing.

TomBradley72
05-31-2019, 07:38 AM
My $0.02-

Eloy starting to play with a lot of joy and having fun- I think he's on the cusp of a nice run and settling in at the major league level

Leury with another great game- hitting .302 and much improved defense.

Nice defense by Cordell- and he looked very relieved when his run scored was not overturned.

Some gold glove plays by Anderson- but that bad throw on an easy play that should have ended the game was really disappointing- gotta be more disciplined.

I think Marshall and Bummer need to switch with Herrera and Fry as the late inning guys- they both look really good.

Overall the chemistry of this team seems really good- they are really into the game and everyone seems to be really pulling for each other- Sanchez stealing 3rd and then scoring on a wild pitch the catcher gave up on chasing was a nice example of manufacturing a run.

Looks like they're stretching out Cease at AAA- I think he gets called up soon- which would get Banuelos back where he belongs- long relief/spot starter.

voodoochile
05-31-2019, 07:46 AM
My $0.02-

Eloy starting to play with alot of joy and having fun- I think he's on the cusp of a nice run and settling in at the major league level

Leury with another great game- hitting .302 and much improved defense.

Nice defense by Cordell- and he looked very relieved when his run scored was not overturned.

Some gold glove plays by Anderson- but that bad throw on an easy play that should have ended the game was really disappointing- gotta be more disciplined.

I think Marshall and Bummer need to switch with Herrera and Fry as the late inning guys- they both look really good.

Overall the chemistry of this team seems really good- they are really into the game and everyone seems to be really pulling for each other- Sanchez stealing 3rd and then scoring on a wild pitch the catcher gave up on chasing was a nice example of manufacturing a run.

Looks like they're stretching out Cease at AAA- I think he gets called up soon- which would get Banuelos back where he belongs- long relief/spot starter.

That means Covey stays in the rotation.

Tragg
05-31-2019, 07:47 AM
Banuelos hung in there but his ERA was 5.06 last night. Still walks too many. He needs to paint the corners consistently.
Excellent work by the bullpen...pretty remarkable considering the presumptive 2/3 guys (Herrera, Fry) are having bad years. Marshall keeps throwing naughts, but with very few Ks...I guess there's some luck involved, but he's throwing strikes and not walking players. so maybe his luck will keep up.

Railsplitter
05-31-2019, 07:47 AM
I'm liking this.
:bandance::bandance:
:bandance::bandance:

Chez
05-31-2019, 08:05 AM
It was a fun (and surprisingly warm & dry night) at the ballpark. Sox did a lot of little things that helped them win the game.

TomBradley72
05-31-2019, 08:07 AM
That means Covey stays in the rotation.

I lean towards Covey over Banuelos- but either can play the long relief/spot starter role

esbrechtel
05-31-2019, 08:11 AM
The sox were hitting Carrasco pretty hard last night. It was pretty fun to watch!

Tragg
05-31-2019, 08:37 AM
I would vote Banuelos starter and Covey reliever. I think Covey would be a better reliever., and perhaps a pretty good one. Plus, the Sox already have 2 soft-tossing lefties in the pen.

XplodingScorbord
05-31-2019, 08:49 AM
Just before game time, the guys were goofing around in the dugout, dancing and having fun. I thought that might bode well for the evening, and it did. Good to see these guys gel as a team.

longtimefan
05-31-2019, 09:03 AM
And just think were this team would be if Kopeck and Rodon had not got hurt. I envision this team will be really fun to watch when (and if) Michael and Carlos return to full health, Cease comes up, and our kids mature and develop.

ChiTownTrojan
05-31-2019, 09:23 AM
I lean towards Covey over Banuelos- but either can play the long relief/spot starter role

Maybe even line the two of them up on the same day, each taking 3-4 innings. Both seem to get exposed when left out there too long.

DumpJerry
05-31-2019, 09:31 AM
When Fry entered the game, I texted my friend that Colome was about to get a save opportunity.

When the bags were loaded, the Tribe was one swing away from making my prediction true.....:angry:

Flight #24
05-31-2019, 09:53 AM
And just think were this team would be if Kopeck and Rodon had not got hurt. I envision this team will be really fun to watch when (and if) Michael and Carlos return to full health, Cease comes up, and our kids mature and develop.

Was thinking about this last night - the team currently has 1 legit starting pitcher (Giolito) and a whole bunch of something between suck and "close your eyes and hope." They have 3 reliable relievers (Bummer, Marshall, Colome), then a couple of "hope" guys in Burr/Osich and a ton of suck in Fry, Herrera, Ruiz, Fulmer. And they're 2 under .500 and 2.5 out of the WC. Fairly amazing.

At the moment, there's arguments to be made for ASB appearances for Giolito, Anderson, McCann, Colome, and with a bit of improvement, Abreu, Moncada and Leury (all top 10 at position in WAR with 2 of the 3 providing excellent D but these are weaker arguments for sure).

asindc
05-31-2019, 10:09 AM
Following the game in a car through the Sierra Nevada, I was pretty sure the Sox were going to win this one after Moncada set up Abreu's sacrifice fly with a ground out to the right side. That only gave the Sox a 5-2 lead and probably got lost among the home runs, the runs in the the eighth and such, but moving Garcia's leadoff double to third with one out, scoring leadoff doubles and adding on to leads with good fundamental baseball in general, was good to see.

If it weren't for the Twins, the White Sox would be in a divisional race.

I agree. As it was happening, I was thinking that this team in the past 3-4 years would not have executed those ABs as cleanly, if at all. Really good to see. In the end, it helped keep Colome out of the game.

guillensdisciple
05-31-2019, 11:45 AM
We are definitely improved over previous years but I would not get carried away with playoff hopes and dreams.

The Sox have had the easiest schedule in all of baseball so far and it only gets more difficult from here.

My hope is we are a mid-70 win team. I think that is realistic.

Grzegorz
05-31-2019, 11:51 AM
I agree. As it was happening, I was thinking that this team in the past 3-4 years would not have executed those ABs as cleanly, if at all. Really good to see.
Who gets the credit for the change?

JohnTucker0814
05-31-2019, 12:12 PM
For as bad as Renteria messed up with the pitching staff yesterday, I think he made a great decision to go get Manny with a 1-0 count. Why wait, you can see he is laboring and he got you what you wanted, into the 6th inning with a chance to win.

harwar
05-31-2019, 01:01 PM
Everything else aside, it does my heart good to see the guys playing solid defense . also, excited to think that the White Sox could possibly be over .500 after this home stand.

thomas35forever
05-31-2019, 02:30 PM
I think if we can get up into the high 70s this year, there's no reason to think we won't be a contender in 2020. Even if the Twins keep their power going from year to year, we should at least get one of the Wild Cards in the near future. The fact is they're playing most of the division very well right now and even playing respectably at opposing stadiums not named Target Field. Things are looking up, up, up for us.

asindc
05-31-2019, 02:32 PM
Who gets the credit for the change?

Generally, I think about 90% of what happens on the field/court is on the players.

kittle42
05-31-2019, 03:50 PM
I think if we can get up into the high 70s this year, there's no reason to think we won't be a contender in 2020. Even if the Twins keep their power going from year to year, we should at least get one of the Wild Cards in the near future. The fact is they're playing most of the division very well right now and even playing respectably at opposing stadiums not named Target Field. Things are looking up, up, up for us.

We are literally last in strength of schedule (http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/rpi/_/sort/sos) so far this season.

That should temper your expectations.

thomas35forever
05-31-2019, 04:00 PM
We are literally last in strength of schedule (http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/rpi/_/sort/sos) so far this season.

https://teachoutsidethebox.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Debbie-Downer-Negative-Nellies-Confront-them-isolate-them-or-cut-them-loose.jpg

Just let me enjoy this. We haven't had much to enjoy in a long time.

voodoochile
05-31-2019, 05:35 PM

Well we get to play the ALC so that helps...