PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 5/12/19 It's spelled Gee-oh-lee-toe Postgamer

voodoochile
05-12-2019, 03:15 PM
Loving this new Lucas big time!

Back to 3-games under and Sox playing solid ball. Have basically be .500 for a month now- actually 2-games over since 4/12. I know it's partially due to the teams we've been playing but the bullpen is vastly improved, the addition of Cordell and Tilson have solidified the defense and added some nice decent production and Moncada and Anderson continue to produce with Abreu coming alive to add some more pop.

What's not to love?

:soxwin:

:)

SoxSpeed22
05-12-2019, 03:20 PM
We might actually be getting somewhere with this. The Blue jay broadcasters had some decent things to say about Anderson's improvement, and the way Giolito has been attacking their hitters. Always nice to take two of three on the road.

slavko
05-12-2019, 03:27 PM
Painting with 95. That's gonna work more often than not. I appreciate nice clean games, wanna see more, think we will see more.

XplodingScorbord
05-12-2019, 03:58 PM
You guys are a lot more fun to be around when we win, so, more of that, please!

Maximo
05-12-2019, 04:17 PM
A couple of more of these and I won't remember Adam Eaton.

Tragg
05-12-2019, 05:01 PM
A couple of more of these and I won't remember Adam Eaton.

Already forgotten by me: best value return/what was given up of the 3. Eaton's a good player but his fluffed up WAR was sold high.
Like the way Giolito isn't rattled by a slow start. Also we finally have a pitcher who can get outs without having to paint the knees....he has some real "Stuff"

voodoochile
05-12-2019, 05:17 PM
Already forgotten by me: best value return/what was given up of the 3. Eaton's a good player but his fluffed up WAR was sold high.
Like the way Giolito isn't rattled by a slow start. Also we finally have a pitcher who can get outs without having to paint the knees....he has some real "Stuff"

Thank you Don Cooper?

*Throws bomb*

*walks away*

:dtroll:

:cool:

TomBradley72
05-12-2019, 05:22 PM
Lots of little pieces coming together- Tilson and Cordell shoring up what looked like a disastrous outfield before they arrived, McCann is just a revelation as our new starting catcher, and the bullpen seems to be "lengthening" with how guys like Bummer, Marshall and Burr are throwing, complementing Fry, Herrera and Colome.

I was happy with Giolito if he just showed he could be a 4th/5th starter on a good team- but he's blowing that ceiling away with how he's looked his last few starts.

Mohoney
05-12-2019, 05:50 PM
Thank you Don Cooper?

*Throws bomb*

*walks away*

Or thank you James McCann?

Grzegorz
05-12-2019, 06:01 PM
Loving this new Lucas big time!
What a great game today. Kittle42 had that great post about the changes to Gio's slider and change-up.
If this change sticks, wow.

Anderson, McCann, Tilson... Nice...

LITTLE NELL
05-12-2019, 06:05 PM
We might actually be getting somewhere with this. The Blue jay broadcasters had some decent things to say about Anderson's improvement, and the way Giolito has been attacking their hitters. Always nice to take two of three on the road.

And a 4-3 winning road trip!

Maximo
05-12-2019, 06:52 PM
Thank you Don Cooper?

*Throws bomb*

*walks away*

Article on White Sox official website says he credits his former high school coach for helping him make adjustments.

Brian26
05-12-2019, 07:53 PM
They're fun to watch.

longtimefan
05-12-2019, 08:03 PM
And how much better would we be if not for all the injuries (Kopech, Rodon, Jimenez)? The arrow is pointing in the right direction.

LakeShoreSox
05-12-2019, 08:09 PM
The 'Ricky's Boys Don't Quit' way of winning, with lots of runs in the 7-9, comeback wins, and walk-offs is a lot of fun. The Sox were doing a lot of this in the first part of the season and it was holding my interest, keeping me watching games.

But taking an early lead, mowing through innings quickly and the bullpen closing games with room to breathe? I'm having MUCH more fun watching this. Keeping the pressure to be perfect in the end of the game low gives so much reason for optimism at this point.

Railsplitter
05-12-2019, 09:17 PM
:bandance::bandance:

A series win!

thomas35forever
05-12-2019, 09:54 PM
Keep it up, Lucas. And keep it up, Tim.

Tragg
05-12-2019, 10:54 PM
Thank you Don Cooper?

Giolito credited Ethan Katz, coach for the Giants:

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/lucas-giolito-strikes-out-eight-in-win-over-blue-jays

thomas35forever
05-13-2019, 12:20 AM
The Sox now are 17-5 in games in which they score four or more runs.

BRDSR
05-13-2019, 02:38 AM
17-5 in games where they score 4 or more runs is surprising to me. Suggests that they're losing by a lot at times.

Edit: Actually, looking just at the division, this is an interesting area for analysis.

At 11 games over .500, the Twins have a run differential of +51, for 4.6 runs per game over .500 and 1.3 runs per game.
At 3 games over .500, the Indians have a run differential of -9, for -3 runs per game over .500 and -.2 runs per game.
At 2 games under .500, the Tigers have a run differential of -49, for 24.5 runs per game under .500 and -1.3 runs per game.
At 3 games under .500, the Sox have a run differential of -25, for 8.3 runs per game under .500 and -.6 runs per game.
At 13 games under .500, the Royals have a run differential of -20, for 1.5 runs per game under .500 and -.5 runs per game.

This would suggest that, relative to the Twins and White Sox, the Tigers and Indians are significantly worse than their record and the Royals are significantly better than their record. The Twins and White Sox are closer to what I would expect given their records. I would be interested in looking at this for all 30 teams. Perhaps I will dive into that project within the next couple weeks.

Grzegorz
05-13-2019, 04:00 AM
17-5 in games where they score 4 or more runs is surprising to me. Suggests that they're losing by a lot at times.

Edit: Actually, looking just at the division, this is an interesting area for analysis.

At 11 games over .500, the Twins have a run differential of +51, for 4.6 runs per game over .500 and 1.3 runs per game.
At 3 games over .500, the Indians have a run differential of -9, for -3 runs per game over .500 and -.2 runs per game.
At 2 games under .500, the Tigers have a run differential of -49, for 24.5 runs per game under .500 and -1.3 runs per game.
At 3 games under .500, the Sox have a run differential of -25, for 8.3 runs per game under .500 and -.6 runs per game.
At 13 games under .500, the Royals have a run differential of -20, for 1.5 runs per game under .500 and -.5 runs per game.

This would suggest that, relative to the Twins and White Sox, the Tigers and Indians are significantly worse than their record and the Royals are significantly better than their record. The Twins and White Sox are closer to what I would expect given their records. I would be interested in looking at this for all 30 teams. Perhaps I will dive into that project within the next couple weeks.

Are these numbers for the teams going head to head?

Thome_Fan
05-13-2019, 08:26 AM
I'm still concerned about where we find pitching long term, but I have to say so far the crow is tasting pretty good. Doesn't look like a post season team to me, but the bats are hot, the infield defense is solid, and the team is fun to watch (and look like they are having a lot of fun.)

Tim Anderson is on track to end up my favorite Sox player since Thome/Konerko.

HomeFish
05-13-2019, 08:32 AM
Not a great night for Yoan Moncada, but a great night for pretty much everyone else. Will be very interesting to see how this McCann thing plays out!

Chez
05-13-2019, 08:34 AM
Not a great night for Yoan Moncada, but a great night for pretty much everyone else. Will be very interesting to see how this McCann thing plays out!

I think Moncada could use a day off. His career numbers are dreadful against Carrasco, so maybe Ricky will rest him on Tuesday (he'll probably go 5 for 5 tonight :D:)

harwar
05-13-2019, 09:17 AM
The Blue jay broadcasters had some decent things to say about Anderson's improvement, and the way Giolito has been attacking their hitters.

The first time facing each team, i often listen to their feed to see what they have to say . it's been overwhelmingly positive so far, about the White Sox rebuild . hoping for a good homestand . both excited and worried about the next road trip.

WhiteSox5187
05-13-2019, 09:22 AM
I think Moncada could use a day off. His career numbers are dreadful against Carrasco, so maybe Ricky will rest him on Tuesday (he'll probably go 5 for 5 tonight :D:)

He hasn't had a great May so far, but I don't think he's had a day off either. Maybe some rest will do him well.

DumpJerry
05-13-2019, 10:18 AM
This is fun to watch.

For the record, the Sox are 18-0 when they outscore their opponent.

thomas35forever
05-13-2019, 11:20 AM
This is fun to watch.

You might be onto something here.

kittle42
05-13-2019, 11:28 AM
This is fun to watch.

Yes, but what winning percentage do other teams have when they outscore their opponents?!

voodoochile
05-13-2019, 11:38 AM
Yes, but what winning percentage do other teams have when they outscore their opponents?!

I just read the Sox are tied with other teams for best percentage in this department. I don't know who those other teams are, but it appears there are several.

blandman
05-13-2019, 12:23 PM

I usually don't buy into the run differential over such small samples, because competition plays a HUGE role in a small sample.

As much as people will hate to hear this, we've played the easiest part of our schedule and we still have looked like a **** team. It only gets worse from here, probably a lot worse. Our June schedule looks particularly brutal.

Hitmen77
05-13-2019, 12:36 PM
I'm still concerned about where we find pitching long term, but I have to say so far the crow is tasting pretty good. Doesn't look like a post season team to me, but the bats are hot, the infield defense is solid, and the team is fun to watch (and look like they are having a lot of fun.)

Tim Anderson is on track to end up my favorite Sox player since Thome/Konerko.

It sounds like the term I was hoping to apply to the Sox this year: PROGRESS.

The first time facing each team, i often listen to their feed to see what they have to say . it's been overwhelmingly positive so far, about the White Sox rebuild . hoping for a good homestand . both excited and worried about the next road trip.

They obviously have failed to consult WSI to get their facts straight if they're being positive about this team's future. :duck:

rdivaldi
05-13-2019, 12:38 PM
As much as people will hate to hear this, we've played the easiest part of our schedule and we still have looked like a **** team. It only gets worse from here, probably a lot worse.

We've played the easiest part of our schedule? What is this based on?

I also question how the Sox have looked like a "****" team. A .462 winning percentage is no great feat, but still leads them to around 75 wins which is many more than most of us predicted.

Chez
05-13-2019, 12:49 PM
As much as people will hate to hear this, we've played the easiest part of our schedule and we still have looked like a **** team. It only gets worse from here, probably a lot worse. Our June schedule looks particularly brutal.

Sox have played 19 of 39 games against Boston, NYY, Seattle, Tampa and Cleveland. They haven't faced Houston or the Twins yet.

DumpJerry
05-13-2019, 12:57 PM
I don't know. I have no idea where to find that information.

If there was only a website I could access........

Tragg
05-13-2019, 01:14 PM

I also question how the Sox have looked like a "****" team. A .462 winning percentage is no great feat, but still leads them to around 75 wins which is many more than most of us predicted.
One obvious basis is that they've finished the season series against the worst team in the league, if not in baseball, while they have played neither of the teams with the best record.
White Sox starting pitching is close to last or last in MLB across most major categories (mostly last). They could use some position upgrades but nothing's happening until that pitching gets fixed.
Through April the hitting was top 8; it's fallen off and now is midpack with OPS dropping 80 or so points in May (even though the record is about the same).

WhiteSox5187
05-13-2019, 01:55 PM
Sox have played 19 of 39 games against Boston, NYY, Seattle, Tampa and Cleveland. They haven't faced Houston or the Twins yet.

This is true, but they got beat like a drum by Boston and Tampa, the Yankees were (and still are) wracked with injuries and Cleveland has the worst offense in the league.

Which is not to say that this is going to be a 100 loss team again, but I think people need to be a little more restrained in their exuberance over wins against bad teams.

blandman
05-13-2019, 02:01 PM

We've gotten all of our Baltimore games done. We've gotten half our Toronto games out and will be done with them this week. We've played a large portion of our games against KC and Detroit early. 20 (20!) of our 39 games have been against teams that will vie with us to be the worst team in baseball (those four teams), and that doesn't even take into consideration that we were lucky enough to get half our Yankee games in while they had 17 rostered players on the disabled list.

Saying we have played a historically easy opening schedule through the first 6 weeks of the season would be putting it lightly. The rest of our schedule is going to SUCK. But futhermore playing the bulk of our games against similarly lowly competition, and still coming away with a bad record...is not exactly something to be optimistic about.

There are bright spots to the season, but the team as a whole looks really bad.

voodoochile
05-13-2019, 02:12 PM
One obvious basis is that they've finished the season series against the worst team in the league, if not in baseball, while they have played neither of the teams with the best record.
White Sox starting pitching is close to last or last in MLB across most major categories (mostly last). They could use some position upgrades but nothing's happening until that pitching gets fixed.
Through April the hitting was top 8; it's fallen off and now is midpack with OPS dropping 80 or so points in May (even though the record is about the same).

That's because they've also dropped their team ERA by 1.5 runs over the same period of time.

Chez
05-13-2019, 02:20 PM

Meh. I'm going to remain optimistic and watch the remaining 123 games for continued signs of progress from the rebuild core.

blandman
05-13-2019, 02:21 PM

As my other post indicates, the other 20 games are against baseball's worst. We played the Yankees when they were at their worst, with half their roster on the IL. Cleveland also has been poor this year. We played Boston when they looked terrible, and we seemed to be the recipe for that.

For as easy as our schedule has been, we haven't been able to capitalize. If there is going to be an improvement over previous years, it now has to happen against much better competition because they did not get the job done when it was easiest.

WhiteSox5187
05-13-2019, 02:23 PM
We've gotten all of our Baltimore games done. We've gotten half our Toronto games out and will be done with them this week. We've played a large portion of our games against KC and Detroit early. 20 (20!) of our 39 games have been against teams that will vie with us to be the worst team in baseball (those four teams), and that doesn't even take into consideration that we were lucky enough to get half our Yankee games in while they had 17 rostered players on the disabled list.

Saying we have played a historically easy opening schedule through the first 6 weeks of the season would be putting it lightly. The rest of our schedule is going to SUCK. But futhermore playing the bulk of our games against similarly lowly competition, and still coming away with a bad record...is not exactly something to be optimistic about.

The team will be bad but hopefully you can have good performances out of Moncada, Anderson, Giolito and Jimenez. It's too early to say whether or not any of those guys will be able to build upon their success but it's also too early to write them off. Yea, Anderson and Moncada have cooled off but they weren't going to hit .400 the whole season. Giolito has looked great against bad offenses but you know what? Good pitchers are supposed to look great against bad offenses. Even if he only looks respectable against good ones, that's a huge win for the Sox.

rdivaldi
05-13-2019, 02:30 PM

That is quite hyperbolic. While we have played our games against the Orioles, there are series against the Marlins and Nationals left to be played. The Sox also have plenty of games to go with the Royals and Tigers as well as plenty of mediocre teams such as the Rangers and Angels. While I wouldn't say the team looks good, they have at least looked average or slightly below average.

Might I also add that if people are going to give the Twins credit for their great start, their schedule should dissected just as closely. I see 16 of their wins are against against the Orioles, Blue Jays, Royals and Tigers.

voodoochile
05-13-2019, 02:32 PM

And then there's the other side of the coin:

They did all this with a bullpen that was in disarray early in the season but appears to be improving dramatically in the last couple weeks.

They did this with Abreu, Yonder, Palka off to horrible starts.

They did this with a defense that has been at times simply awful but appears to be improving - especially in terms of outfield defense.

They did this with injuries to key players and Earvin Santana on the team.

They did this with a Team ERA that was in the mid-6's a few weeks ago.

Now some of that maybe due to the quality of teams they have played but the defense looking better, bullpen starting to solidify and show signs of being at least functionally reliable and Abreu starting to hit all say this team is markedly better than when it started the season.

Where will it go? I honestly don't know but to expect a complete collapse when they start to play the middle of the pack teams they have coming seems questionable at this time, IMO.

rdivaldi
05-13-2019, 02:33 PM
As my other post indicates, the other 20 games are against baseball's worst. We played the Yankees when they were at their worst, with half their roster on the IL. Cleveland also has been poor this year. We played Boston when they looked terrible, and we seemed to be the recipe for that.

This is incorrect. The Red Sox were coming off a sweep of Oakland when they came to town and had been playing much better the week previously.

voodoochile
05-13-2019, 02:35 PM
This is incorrect. The Red Sox were coming off a sweep of Oakland when they came to town and had been playing much better the week previously.

And the Sox were dealing with the devastating emotional news that Rodon was likely lost for the season after the series opener.

rdivaldi
05-13-2019, 02:39 PM
Meh. I'm going to remain optimistic and watch the remaining 123 games for continued signs of progress from the rebuild core.

Which IMO is the most logical attitude to take this season. There are encouraging signs.

blandman
05-13-2019, 02:45 PM
And then there's the other side of the coin:

They did all this with a bullpen that was in disarray early in the season but appears to be improving dramatically in the last couple weeks.

They did this with Abreu, Yonder, Palka off to horrible starts.

They did this with a defense that has been at times simply awful but appears to be improving - especially in terms of outfield defense.

They did this with injuries to key players and Earvin Santana on the team.

They did this with a Team ERA that was in the mid-6's a few weeks ago.

Now some of that maybe due to the quality of teams they have played but the defense looking better, bullpen starting to solidify and show signs of being at least functionally reliable and Abreu starting to hit all say this team is markedly better than when it started the season.

Where will it go? I honestly don't know but to expect a complete collapse when they start to play the middle of the pack teams they have coming seems questionable at this time, IMO.

It's all about sample size, and where the sample is taken from. If the White Sox played 20 of 39 games against top competition, I'd say there's room to look up.

That isn't what happened. We're not going to find another 40 game stretch on our schedule where literally half of the games are against teams that will vie for the first pick in the draft. In the only stretch we can say that about, there are a lot of bad statistics, including our record.

It's not impossible that we'll put up better numbers in a different 40 game stretch. But you'd have to assume that it's very improbable that we will. Especially after losing our ace.

kobo
05-13-2019, 03:14 PM

This is such a hyperbolic bull**** statement. But I would expect nothing less from you.

blandman
05-13-2019, 03:27 PM
This is such a hyperbolic bull**** statement. But I would expect nothing less from you.

I can't remember a time in my entire life where we've played 20 of less than 40 games against consensus challengers for worst record in baseball. I'll stand by the statement.

DeadMoney
05-13-2019, 04:06 PM
I can't remember a time in my entire life where we've played 20 of less than 40 games against consensus challengers for worst record in baseball. I'll stand by the statement.

The Sox have an easy schedule - in general - partly because they play in a bad division and spend almost 50% of the year playing that competition. Yes, they've played one of the easiest (if not the easiest) schedules in the league so far this year, but they also have a very middle-of-the-road remaining schedule (http://powerrankingsguru.com/mlb/strength-of-schedule.php). It also helps that they play what will likely be the worst division in the NL this year too.

Heck, if you just look at the # of games they've played in line with the current AL standings (since they've only played AL teams), this doesn't look so bottom heavy to me:
- Minnesota
- Houston
3 Tampa Bay
3 New York
6 Cleveland
4 Boston
- LA Angels
5 Detroit
3 Seattle
- Oakland
- Texas
3 Toronto
6 Baltimore
6 Kansas City

blandman
05-13-2019, 04:47 PM
The Sox have an easy schedule - in general - partly because they play in a bad division and spend almost 50% of the year playing that competition. Yes, they've played one of the easiest (if not the easiest) schedules in the league so far this year, but they also have a very middle-of-the-road remaining schedule (http://powerrankingsguru.com/mlb/strength-of-schedule.php). It also helps that they play what will likely be the worst division in the NL this year too.

Heck, if you just look at the # of games they've played in line with the current AL standings (since they've only played AL teams), this doesn't look so bottom heavy to me:
- Minnesota
- Houston
3 Tampa Bay
3 New York
6 Cleveland
4 Boston
- LA Angels
5 Detroit
3 Seattle
- Oakland
- Texas
3 Toronto
6 Baltimore
6 Kansas City

I'm not as thrilled about their remaining games as you seem to be.

I think we have the hardest interleague schedule in baseball. For our 20 games, we get 4 with the Cubs. The other 16 games are against the NL East, which is easily the most talented division in baseball. Outside of the Marlins, You've got 4 of the best squads in baseball. I'm not down on the Nationals, whose record is simply a reflection of inter-division play. That division is a simply going to be a dogfight because it includes 4 of the best rosters in baseball. Any one of those teams could win the World Series this year and no one would bat an eye.

asindc
05-13-2019, 05:14 PM

I think we have the hardest interleague schedule in baseball. For our 20 games, we get 4 with the Cubs. The other 16 games are against the NL East, which is easily the most talented division in baseball. Outside of the Marlins, You've got 4 of the best squads in baseball. I'm not down on the Nationals, whose record is simply a reflection of inter-division play. That division is a simply going to be a dogfight because it includes 4 of the best rosters in baseball. Any one of those teams could win the World Series this year and no one would bat an eye.

The Natsí record reflects the fact that they havenít played well this season so far.

blandman
05-13-2019, 05:19 PM
The Nats’ record reflects the fact that they haven’t played well this season so far.

*Against marquee competition.

Other than their division, which is intensely good, they've also faced the Cubs, Brewers, Cards, Padres, and Dodgers. They've almost exclusively faced premier competition to this point.

I'd say the Nats are in good shape considering their schedule.

We're close to them in record. But the competition is the difference. As I said above, if we had that kind of a schedule and came out of it where we are, I'd be ecstatic. There is a huge difference in who they've played and who we've played to this date, though.

Mohoney
05-13-2019, 05:28 PM

I would be pretty shocked if the Mets won the World Series.

asindc
05-13-2019, 05:39 PM
*Against marquee competition.

Other than their division, which is intensely good, they've also faced the Cubs, Brewers, Cards, Padres, and Dodgers. They've almost exclusively faced premier competition to this point.

I'd say the Nats are in good shape considering their schedule.

We're close to them in record. But the competition is the difference. As I said above, if we had that kind of a schedule and came out of it where we are, I'd be ecstatic. There is a huge difference in who they've played and who we've played to this date, though.

It hasn’t mattered who they have played so far, they have played mediocre baseball to this point.

I would be very surprised if any of the NL East teams besides Atlanta got past the LDS this year.

Tragg
05-13-2019, 05:53 PM
That is quite hyperbolic. While we have played our games against the Orioles, there are series against the Marlins and Nationals left to be played.

The nationals are injured throughout the lineup. I don't know if they are out fo the year injured or if they will be back when the Sox play them, but that's why they suck.
There are 7 rebuilders in the AL this year. We play 2 of them the full slate of games. The NL East, so far, hasn't played up to its billing. It's an overall easy schedule. Now whether it's easier in the future or in the past, I don't know.

rdivaldi
05-13-2019, 08:43 PM
The NL East, so far, hasn't played up to its billing. It's an overall easy schedule. Now whether it's easier in the future or in the past, I don't know.

Who knows? Regardless, I'd like to see continued improvement from the youngsters and 75 wins (or more).

Mohoney
05-13-2019, 10:07 PM
Who knows? Regardless, I'd like to see continued improvement from the youngsters and 75 wins (or more).
Thatís a tall order with BaŮuelos and Covey both in the rotationóand pitching back-to-back. Even the good starts by Giolito and Lopez canít really get the bullpen back on track after those two days, and Nova is a coin flip who is just as likely to stretch the disaster to three days as he is to right the ship.

Itís not their fault. BaŮuelos and Covey were originally thought of as relievers, and Nova was supposed to be the fourth-best starter in the rotation, not the third-best. Unfortunately, Santana showed no signs of being serviceable, and Rodonís elbow finally exploded. Plus, the only reason Santana even signed here is because Kopechís elbow exploded, too.