PDA

View Full Version : I'm embarrassed

CHISOXFAN13
09-19-2002, 10:18 PM
That two jag bags did what I just saw. I have never seen anything like that. Ridiculous. I'm about ready to leave my apt. and walk down the street to the 35th Street cop shop. Brutal.

Viva Magglio
09-19-2002, 10:20 PM
That is just f***ing dandy!!!! Now our fans will be compared to street gangs!!!!! I can see Moronotti's column now.

I hope those two p***ks get the standard behind closed door treatment from Chicago's finest tonight!!!!!!!

Daver
09-19-2002, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
That two jag bags did what I just saw. I have never seen anything like that. Ridiculous. I'm about ready to leave my apt. and walk down the street to the 35th Street cop shop. Brutal.

They just signed up for the "phone book" school of disicpline,the Sox security can be brutal.......

whitesoxwilkes
09-19-2002, 10:23 PM
I agree 100%. I hope they end up spending the night in jail becoming good friends with a big guy named Bubba. Hate to say it, but this is the punk a$$ attitude that's typical of this generation just behind mine(I'm 27)..these kids can't be more than 18 years old. Guess that's what happens when all these kids do is sit around, get tattoos, play Grand Theft Auto and listen to bands like Nothingface and Limp Bizkit..violence violence violence.

whitesoxwilkes
09-19-2002, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by °Viva MŠgglio!
That is just f***ing dandy!!!! Now our fans will be compared to street gangs!!!!! I can see Moronotti's column now.

I hope those two p***ks get the standard behind closed door treatment from Chicago's finest tonight!!!!!!!

If Moronotti says anything about it...just gently remind him of the fans getting into a fight with the Dodgers 'pen at Wrigley in 2000 or the game in 1995 where a guy ran out onto the Urinal field and tried to jump Randy Myers.

kevingrt
09-19-2002, 10:26 PM
They should go to jail for 10 yrs, then burn in hell... That is so completley stupid, whatever there reason is... I can't even do anything as a Sox fan, besides hope that coach is okay

WinningUgly!
09-19-2002, 10:28 PM
Holy Shnikeez! What the hell happened? I missed it. :?:

Daver
09-19-2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
I agree 100%. I hope they end up spending the night in jail becoming good friends with a big guy named Bubba. Hate to say it, but this is the punk a$$ attitude that's typical of this generation just behind mine(I'm 27)..these kids can't be more than 18 years old. Guess that's what happens when all these kids do is sit around, get tattoos, play Grand Theft Auto and listen to bands like Nothingface and Limp Bizkit..violence violence violence.

You have to be twenty one or have permission from your parents to get a tattoo in the state of Illinois.Most legal tattoo shops will NOT violate that law.

HawkDJ
09-19-2002, 10:33 PM
That was disgusting. I am so embarrased that this happened at Comiskey. Its supposed to be a family park. If some drunk ass punks are gonna attack someone, attack a player. Going after an older first base coach is just sick and wrong.

If you didn't see it , WU, it was 2 people came out of the stands after Porzio made a nice diving catch and starting punching at the Royals first base coach while he was lying there defenseless kicking at them. The ROyals players came out and starting punching and tackling the guys for a while, then security took over.

Jjav829
09-19-2002, 10:38 PM

O they'll be getting more than that. As Hawk said, the cameras caught it all. It's all on tape and Im sure they will be convicted of battery. Unreal. They are going to be real sorry. They have no clue what kind of mess they just got themselves into.

whitesoxwilkes
09-19-2002, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by daver
You have to be twenty one or have permission from your parents to get a tattoo in the state of Illinois.Most legal tattoo shops will NOT violate that law.

Off topic-- Too bad the ones in Georgia don't ask you if you're SURE you want to do this when you stumble into a parlor at 2 am in a drunken stupor..I can attest to that.

Bucktown
09-19-2002, 10:40 PM
I am embarassed as well.

I did see this one other time, at Wrigley Field when a fan charged the mound, but he got his but kicked before he could lift a hand.

I am also that none of the Royals got a good shot at them. I would like to have seen a broken jaw.

WinningUgly!
09-19-2002, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
That was disgusting. I am so embarrased that this happened at Comiskey. Its supposed to be a family park. If some drunk ass punks are gonna attack someone, attack a player. Going after an older first base coach is just sick and wrong.

If you didn't see it , WU, it was 2 people came out of the stands after Porzio made a nice diving catch and starting punching at the Royals first base coach while he was lying there defenseless kicking at them. The ROyals players came out and starting punching and tackling the guys for a while, then security took over.

Just saw it on ESPN :o:

They should've tied the punks up at the plate & let Roberto chuck a couple of them 97 mph heaters at their "southern regions". :angry:

Soxheads
09-19-2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Just saw it on ESPN :o:

They should've tied the punks up at the plate & let Roberto chuck a couple of them 97 mph heaters at their "southern regions". :angry:

No, Runelvys should have. :smile:

WinningUgly!
09-19-2002, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
O they'll be getting more than that. As Hawk said, the cameras caught it all. It's all on tape and Im sure they will be convicted of battery. Unreal. They ae going to be real sorry. They have no clue what kind of mess they just got themselves into.

Yeah right...they will end up suing the Sox, Royals & MLB over this.

FanOf14
09-19-2002, 10:50 PM
I was wondering what the heck was going on - my brother and I called each other to find out what the heck that was all about. I, too, am dreading the what the reporters in this town will say about Sox fans now.

Daver, is that tatoo law a new law? My bf got both of his tats at the age of 18 and 20. My friend's sister got her tat at the age of 18. Both of them were tatooed in legal shops. I am asking if that is a new law because he got his legally 12 and 10 years ago respectively and my friend's sister got hers about 6 years ago.

Daver
09-19-2002, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
I was wondering what the heck was going on - my brother and I called each other to find out what the heck that was all about. I, too, am dreading the what the reporters in this town will say about Sox fans now.

Daver, is that tatoo law a new law? My bf got both of his tats at the age of 18 and 20. My friend's sister got her tat at the age of 18. Both of them were tatooed in legal shops. I am asking if that is a new law because he got his legally 12 and 10 years ago respectively and my friend's sister got hers about 6 years ago.

That law was enacted in 1998,to protect tattoo shop owners from lawsuits from parents.

Viva Magglio
09-19-2002, 11:05 PM
Channels 2 and 7 led with the fight at Comiskey Park. And ALREADY the stations have live reports from the ballpark!!! When did the incident occur? Around 9:15???

cheeses_h_rice
09-19-2002, 11:07 PM
Ugh. Missed this live, but I am 100% appalled by the behavior of these little sh*ts (sorry Daver, but I can't say it any nicer).

Nothing less than criminal assault & battery charges against these knobs will do.

Also, these guys didn't look 21, yet were likely intoxicated beyond belief. Somehow, I think the blowback is going to hit the Sox, and hard.

A sad day for this franchise, that's for sure.

Jerry_Manuel
09-19-2002, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

The papers are going to be all over this.

FanOf14
09-19-2002, 11:14 PM
cheeses - my brother and I were saying the same thing. They both looked tanked and under 21 - not a good mix for the Sox. It wouldn't be the first time I have seen someone under 21 get served at Comiskey.

WinningUgly!
09-19-2002, 11:15 PM
Ugh. Missed this live, but I am 100% appalled by the behavior of these little sh*ts (sorry Daver, but I can't say it any nicer).

Nothing less than criminal assault & battery charges against these knobs will do.

Also, these guys didn't look 21, yet were likely intoxicated beyond belief. Somehow, I think the blowback is going to hit the Sox, and hard.

Comiskey Park: Home of the 2003 All Star Game.
Don't try to pull any of that tie game crap in our park.:D:

voodoochile
09-19-2002, 11:18 PM
When will these flubbie fans learn, the southside is a much gentler place and their violent, drunken ways just don't cut it down here...

I guess I'll have to watch some highlites after all. Man this is a sad day in professional sports if the descriptions you all are giving are accurate and I have no reason to doubt you...

HawkDJ
09-19-2002, 11:30 PM
More news about this situation:

-The two men were father and son who had, obviously, drunk a lot of beer

-A knife was found on the field by a player

-Fans near the first base area say the KC first base coach was arguing with some of the fans and gave some sort of gesture to them.

Viva Magglio
09-19-2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
The papers are going to be all over this.

:moron
My pants are around my ankles as I am writing the column about this one!!!!

RKMeibalane
09-19-2002, 11:32 PM
Those two are an embarrassment to the Chicago White Sox, Major League Baseball, and the human race. I will never understand what possesses people to behave like barbarians. Stealing a player's cap is one thing, but attacking a defensless person that was minding his own business is dispicable.

I'm sure the papers will find a way to blame the Sox for this mess. That's all they need. Honestly, when is it going to sink in that it is not okay to run onto the playing field and screw around? Those two idiots are fortunate the first base coach was able to walk off the field under his own power, and they are even more fortunate that they are still breathing. I hope those two rot in jail.

kevingrt
09-19-2002, 11:33 PM
"A folded-up pocket knife was found at the scene, Royals spokesman Aaron Babock said."

"I had my hands on my hips and I was looking at the next batter. I felt like a football team had hit me from behind. Next thing I knew, I'm on the ground trying to defend myself..."I heard one of the guys say there was a knife. I was stunned, so I was checking to see if I was stabbed and didn't realize it,'' Gambo said.

This is all from ESPN.com

That is pretty wacked out. I don't understand how anybody could do this. But I realize how many sick minds are in this world!

TornLabrum
09-19-2002, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
More news about this situation:

-The two men were father and son who had, obviously, drunk a lot of beer

-A knife was found on the field by a player

-Fans near the first base area say the KC first base coach was arguing with some of the fans and gave some sort of gesture to them. Well, that certainly justifies their kicking the crap out of him. I hope they both get 20 years in Stateville where they can bend over before their criminal superiors, if you know what I mean.

TornLabrum
09-19-2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
\ I will never understand what possesses people to behave like barbarians.

It's called A-L-C-O-H-O-L.

Viva Magglio
09-19-2002, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
That is pretty wacked out. I don't understand how anybody could do this. But I realize how many sick minds are in this world!

I wonder if they were high on drugs, in addition to being intoxicated. Not out of the question.

RKMeibalane
09-19-2002, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
It's called A-L-C-O-H-O-L.

Alcohol consumption doesn't have to result in this type of behavior. People need to start taking responsibilty for their actions. This business of fans running onto the field and causing trouble needs to end. It's dangerous and irresponsible. It's only a matter of time before something horrible happens, and the game will forever be tarnished because of a few idiots.

duke of dorwood
09-19-2002, 11:43 PM
Whatever their condition, they should be made an example of. Be ready to be searched now going in.

GASHWOUND
09-19-2002, 11:46 PM

I don't know why this incident would hit the Sox organization hard. Two drunk a-holes running onto the field and doing what they did could happen at any of the other ballparks. I can't see how two dumbasses can sully all the other thousands of fans at the park who come to the games everyday and BEHAVE, but who knows. That's like saying all cops are racists a-holes and beat up innocent people like on the ones caught on tape. When in reality 99% are good.
If there is ANY common sense in this town this incident SHOULD not damage or be blamed on the Sox organization.
Or gives Sox fans a bad name in anyway.
One caller on ESPN called i and said that these two dumbasses looked over 21, so I wouldn't make any conclusions saying that their minors and are loaded until we find out nomre.

Konerko05
09-19-2002, 11:46 PM
[i] Hate to say it, but this is the punk a$$ attitude that's typical of this generation just behind mine(I'm 27)..these kids can't be more than 18 years old. Guess that's what happens when all these kids do is sit around, get tattoos, play Grand Theft Auto and listen to bands like Nothingface and Limp Bizkit..violence violence violence. [/B]

After reading your post, I should probably make a generalization like you did and say that the generation in front of mine is pretty stupid.

CuckTheFubs
09-19-2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown

I did see this one other time, at Wrigley Field when a fan charged the mound, but he got his but kicked before he could lift a hand.

Do you remember when this happened?

No doubt we'll be hearing tomorrow the usual attacks then on Sox fans in general, "I don't go to Comiskey Park because it's so dangerous..."

Let's not forget the incidents that have occurred at the so-called Friendly Confines.

1995 - Myers attacked (mentioned above).
2000 - Dodgers player has hat stolen. Near riot ensues.
2001 - Mary Mitchell verbally assaulted with racist epithets by Cubbie drunks.

HawkDJ
09-19-2002, 11:57 PM
One of the guys was over 21, they were father and son! So stop with this "bad generation" steriotyping thing.

Also, this does hurt the Sox image becaue Comiskey is supposed to be a family friendly park. And the Flub fans can just make another excuse for hating Comiskey.

Here is a good pic of one of the f***ers

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/mlb/2002/0919/photo/a_dumss_i.jpg

duke of dorwood
09-20-2002, 12:00 AM
Sounds like a City thing, dont it.

cheeses_h_rice
09-20-2002, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND
I don't know why this incident would hit the Sox organization hard. Two drunk a-holes running onto the field and doing what they did could happen at any of the other ballparks. I can't see how two dumbasses can sully all the other thousands of fans at the park who come to the games everyday and BEHAVE, but who knows. That's like saying all cops are racists a-holes and beat up innocent people like on the ones caught on tape. When in reality 99% are good.
If there is ANY common sense in this town this incident SHOULD not damage or be blamed on the Sox organization.
Or gives Sox fans a bad name in anyway.
One caller on ESPN called i and said that these two dumbasses looked over 21, so I wouldn't make any conclusions saying that their minors and are loaded until we find out nomre.

Well, from behind these guys looked like they were 19-22 or so (I can't believe it's a father & son team). My point is that IF these guys are underage, then there WILL be blowback on the Sox for having a park that peddles loads of alcohol to a) minors and b) overserved customers. I'm not saying that any blame or stereotyping should be laid on the shoulders of us regular Sox fans, but surely one would have to agree that there could be some negative ramifications on the organization if their employees were breaking the law by serving minors. That's all.

longshot7
09-20-2002, 12:03 AM

hey, leave the bands out. It's like blaming Columbine on Marilyn Manson - violent crimes statistics have DROPPED over the past 10 years while violence in mass media has risen, so there's no corollation between the two.

As well, a generation is every 30 years. So you're in the same generation as those now 18.

my two cents...

duke of dorwood
09-20-2002, 12:04 AM
Bruce Levine said it was a fater/son. No, didnt look like that. Walnuts said they should "throw away the key"

longshot7
09-20-2002, 12:05 AM
is it possible that this could come from when Gamboa worked for the Cubs - it's some kind of revenge from two years ago?
Just a thought.

pudge
09-20-2002, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by longshot7
hey, leave the bands out. It's like blaming Columbine on Marilyn Manson - violent crimes statistics have DROPPED over the past 10 years while violence in mass media has risen, so there's no corollation between the two.

As well, a generation is every 30 years. So you're in the same generation as those now 18.

my two cents...

I don't believe they were father and son until I hear some proof of that, but regardless, we can't blame a generation... there have been wackos in EVERY generation. I think the sadder issue is that so many people in the 16-22 range are so lost and depressed. I played in a league basketball game last night and my team received death threats after the game by young punks. It's just sad. It's like you can't go anywhere without some Eminem wannabe barking in your face. And it was like that when I was in H.S. too, so I don't think it's generation specific.

As for Comiskey, this is the last thing we needed. We already can't get enough people there. I can smell Moronotti's column already...

MarkEdward
09-20-2002, 12:11 AM
They should use the guys' heads as baseballs and their bodies as tees. Let Konerko, Sweeney, and Thomas take a few swings.

CHISOXFAN13
09-20-2002, 12:17 AM
Hawk is almost at a loss for words right now on the Score.

Kilroy
09-20-2002, 12:18 AM
I was sitting behind the KC dugout tonight, and I honestly thought I was gonna be sick. I still may. Just when you think you've seen people at their absolute dumbest, some other dumb **** comes along and shows you that people have the capacity for stupidity you never even dreamed of.

I happened to be looking in that direction, and they just rushed Gambo from behind, knocked him down and started punching. The Royals got there pretty quick, and they were pretty much beating the snot out of these two ass clowns. You couldn't see on the replays, but the two jerks were both down on the bottom of the pile, and they were being kicked and stomped. Several players jumped on top of them with both feet at various times. Then, after they dragged the two out, someone, Ibanez, I thought, but it was impossible to be sure, took at least 5 steps before delivering one last kick to the chest of one of the two guys.

I swear, I am so disgusted by this. I did hear that it was a father/son team, and also that they did get a little special treatment behind closed doors. I know that if you punch thru a phonebook, it hurts like a sunuvabitch, but it doesn't leave any marks.

Its too bad they didn't let the Royals do some more damage on these dregs, because if anyone deserved it, it would be them...

bc2k
09-20-2002, 12:20 AM
Comiskey Park: Home of the 2003 All Star Game.
Don't try to pull any of that tie game crap in our park.:D:

That's good WU. I'm still laughing at that one.

How about this one: "Maybe it's a good thing more Sox fans don't come to Comiskey."

Or this: "You've heard of the 'tenth man on the field', but ours bring knives."

CuckTheFubs
09-20-2002, 12:22 AM
I know you all will be surprised to hear that the Cubune outlet ChicagoSports.com already has pictures posted.

hold2dibber
09-20-2002, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by longshot7
is it possible that this could come from when Gamboa worked for the Cubs - it's some kind of revenge from two years ago?
Just a thought.

There's no way those two idiots had any clue that Gamboa used to work for the flubs - I guarantee those scumbags know nothing about baseball and don't know Tom Gamboa from Jason Giambi.

Lip Man 1
09-20-2002, 12:33 AM
Geez if Sox fans were going to attack somebody couldn't they at least picked the owner or the GM?????

I'll also be interested to see if the coach gave them the finger or something that contributed to this assult. Not justifying it in any way, just wondering.

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
09-20-2002, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
....I'll also be interested to see if the coach gave them the finger or something that contributed to this assult. Not justifying it in any way, just wondering.

By all accounts, it was completely unprovoked. And I would not use the term "Sox fan" referring to either of these two dopes. Amongst those Sox Fans who weren't sickened too much not to comment, all the callers to Wills' post-game show wished those guys had been beaten up worse.

cheeses_h_rice
09-20-2002, 12:43 AM
Here's a photo of the son...he looks to be about 19 or 20. The father looked like he was in his late 30s or early 40s. Nice combo, these two -- I'm sure their Thanksgiving dinners resemble a Norman Rockwell print.

Lip Man 1
09-20-2002, 12:44 AM
In view of what took place tonight, you will be interested to read former Sox 2nd baseman Mike Andrews, account of when Don Buford of the Orioles was attacked and punched out a drunk fan at Comiskey Park, Memorial Day 1971.

It's in the upcoming Q&A with him that Pale Hose George tells me will hit the site over the weekend.

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
09-20-2002, 12:53 AM
Here's a photo of the son...he looks to be about 19 or 20. The father looked like he was in his late 30s or early 40s. Nice combo, these two -- I'm sure their Thanksgiving dinners resemble a Norman Rockwell print.

Yeah, I can just imagine all the wholesome activities they do together.

* sharing needles.
* sharing prostitutes.
* sharing DUI arrests.
and of course,
* sharing jail cells.

"Hey, nice kid. What time are you due back at Boystown?"

Jjav829
09-20-2002, 12:55 AM
Heres a picture of the knife that was found. Looks to be on the belt of the older moron.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/news/2002/09/19/royals_whitesox_ap/lg_spectators_ap.jpg

WinningUgly!
09-20-2002, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Yeah, I can just imagine all the wholesome activities they do together.

* sharing needles.
* sharing prostitutes.
* sharing DUI arrests.
and of course,
* sharing jail cells.

"Hey, nice kid. What time are you due back at Boystown?"

* sharing Mom/Sis

whitesoxwilkes
09-20-2002, 01:12 AM
Walnuts weighs in: (and I agree with him)

"No punishment could be stiff enough," White Sox first baseman Paul Konerko said. "I wish they had left the players out there to beat on them for an hour."

PaleHoseGeorge
09-20-2002, 01:13 AM
* sharing Mom/Sis

Yeah, that's about the only place they'd get it free.

What I don't get is why attack an old coach? If they had any stones at all, let's see them take on one of the players. Even a scrawny shortstop would probably be more than a match for these two, discounting the knife of course.

That picture is damning evidence. The knife is on his person as he commits a felony. These guys are in serious trouble.

WinningUgly!
09-20-2002, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Yeah, that's about the only place they'd get it free.

What I don't get is why attack an old coach? If they had any stones at all, let's see them take on one of the players. Even a scrawny shortstop would probably be more than a match for these two, discounting the knife of course.

That picture is damning evidence. The knife is on his person as he commits a felony. These guys are in serious trouble.

I'm sure they were at the game with at least a few others from their trailer park. Someone probably offered $20 to anyone that would run out and wail on the guy. Didn't it look like they were pushing each other back & fighting off each other to get at Gamboa?

doublem23
09-20-2002, 01:55 AM
They showed on SportsCenter the guys being taken into the squad car, and a reporter asked why they did what they did, all they could say was, "He got what he deserved."

You know, some people still haven't completely evolved from those monkeys yet.

CuckTheFubs
09-20-2002, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
They showed on SportsCenter the guys being taken into the squad car, and a reporter asked why they did what they did, all they could say was, "He got what he deserved."

Did these Richard-heads come straight to Comiskey from a Springer taping?

MarqSox
09-20-2002, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by CuckTheFubs
I know you all will be surprised to hear that the Cubune outlet ChicagoSports.com already has pictures posted.

Heaven forbid the newspaper do its job ...

Lip Man 1
09-20-2002, 02:32 AM
It's very unfortunate what took place at Sox park Thursday night. From a historical perspective, it's been 32 years since something like this has happened (that I know of...)

I've enclosed an excerpt from my interview with former Sox 2nd baseman Mike Andrews . Andrews was on the field that last time something like this took place on Memorial Day 1971...

ML : You personally saw an incident like that when Don Buford of the Orioles approached the mound with his bat against Sox pitcher Bart Johnson in 1971. What do you remember about that?

MA: "I remember that vividly because I saw the whole thing from second base. It was a Memorial Day doubleheader and Bart threw a close one at Buford. Buford started out towards the mound with his bat. I donít think Don intended using that bat though. It just happened that he started towards the mound and I donít think he realized he still had the bat in his other hand. Don played football at USC. If he was going to do something, he didnít even need a bat. Anyway nothing happened and Don went out to left field. The Sox fans in that lower deck just gave him hell.

A few innings later heís in the on deck circle watching the game when I see a fan jump over the wall and start towards him. This drunk was headed his way when a bunch of guys started yelling to Don to look out. Buford turned, saw the guy, and cold cocked him. Just dropped him with one punch. Thatís when some of Donís teammates from the Orioles headed out of the dugout and beat the guy. He was bloody from head to toe. I heard afterwards that when they took the guy into the medical room at the park to get worked on, the medics turned their back for a moment and the guy disappeared!"

The entire interview with Mike Andrews can be read starting Sunday night

Lip

WinningUgly!
09-20-2002, 03:03 AM
It's very unfortunate what took place at Sox park Thursday night. From a historical perspective, it's been 32 years since something like this has happened (that I know of...)

I've enclosed an excerpt from my interview with former Sox 2nd baseman Mike Andrews . Andrews was on the field that last time something like this took place on Memorial Day 1971...

ML : You personally saw an incident like that when Don Buford of the Orioles approached the mound with his bat against Sox pitcher Bart Johnson in 1971. What do you remember about that?

MA: "I remember that vividly because I saw the whole thing from second base. It was a Memorial Day doubleheader and Bart threw a close one at Buford. Buford started out towards the mound with his bat. I donít think Don intended using that bat though. It just happened that he started towards the mound and I donít think he realized he still had the bat in his other hand. Don played football at USC. If he was going to do something, he didnít even need a bat. Anyway nothing happened and Don went out to left field. The Sox fans in that lower deck just gave him hell.

A few innings later heís in the on deck circle watching the game when I see a fan jump over the wall and start towards him. This drunk was headed his way when a bunch of guys started yelling to Don to look out. Buford turned, saw the guy, and cold cocked him. Just dropped him with one punch. Thatís when some of Donís teammates from the Orioles headed out of the dugout and beat the guy. He was bloody from head to toe. I heard afterwards that when they took the guy into the medical room at the park to get worked on, the medics turned their back for a moment and the guy disappeared!"

The entire interview with Mike Andrews can be read starting Sunday night

Lip

How's that for a teaser!?:D:

Jjav829
09-20-2002, 08:09 AM

He actually said "He flipped us off, he got what he deserved". Still makes no sense to do what they did. Your going to spend some time in jail all because a guy flipped you off?

steff
09-20-2002, 09:20 AM
My info..
They were not wasted. The father had 4 empty cups at his seat (I drank more than that last night..) and I was told by someone sitting right behind them they did not see the son drinking beer. Not to mention, if they WERE drunk, it would be ALL over the news that the vendors served a minor...
There was no "phone book treatment". Although a copy of his drivers liscense was made and he was told to "watch his back".

HawkDJ
09-20-2002, 09:57 AM
I got this all from the Daily Herald:

After the two attackers were taken off the field, a few Sox players heard someone behind the Sox dugout shout "The (royals) third base coach is next!" which prompted Josh Paul to start yelling at him. The man was eventually taken out by security. After the game an anonymous Sox players said "Do we have great fans here or what?"

dirty_k
09-20-2002, 10:12 AM
Good for the Royals players, Josh Paul, and anyone who stands up to this ****.

And to think I listed the fans as my favorite thing about Comisky.

doublem23
09-20-2002, 10:13 AM
Pfft. It's awfully easy to paint with a broad brush, isn't it.

steff
09-20-2002, 10:19 AM

No kidding..

Iwritecode
09-20-2002, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by daver
That law was enacted in 1998,to protect tattoo shop owners from lawsuits from parents.

I know this is getting off the main subject of this thread but aren't 18-year-olds legally considered adults? What grounds would parents have to sue a tatto shop owner if their 18YO kid got a tattoo?

Dan H
09-20-2002, 10:47 AM
It is easy to paint with a broad brush. And while I find this incident one of the most disgusting things to happen at Comiskey, some of the players ought to get off their high horse. How many of them have fought with each other in the dugout, and got into barroom brawls?
At the same time, we fans get little resect from the players and the media. This does nothing to help. I have not even thrown a piece of paper on the field much less attack a player or fellow fan. Going to the park is supposed to be fun. I only hope these two spend some real time in jail and I also hope any possible lawsuit from these knuckleheads gets laughed out of court.

Procol Harum
09-20-2002, 11:00 AM

Lip, I remember that vividly, but I also seem to remember that the Buford incident was a lot more volatile because of the incidents that had already occurred earlier and some other stuff in the first game of that doubleheader--all complicated by the fact that the Orioles were the defending World Champs. The 1971 incident--unlike the situation last night where eveybody in the place was appalled at the attack--was characterized by an ominous threat of further trouble (remember this was a doubleheader before the days of beer limits and such). Thankfully, more sober heads prevailed and nothing came of it but Buford was subject to a lot of abuse from Sox fans from that point forward.

viagracat
09-20-2002, 11:03 AM
Ah, father and son togetherness. Comiskey is a family park, right? But I don't think that's exactly what Reinsdorf had in mind. These two dip****s are not only going to face agg assault charges and get convicted on them, but they'll be forever hounded for years by friends, family and so on who will be asking them "What the HELL were you thinking!" Daddy will probably lose his visitation rights and Junior won't be able to show his face in school (if he was even going to one).

The one problem I have with Comiskey is that every time I go to a game, and especially if I'm anywhere near the Bullpen, there are always young jagbags exhibiting liquid courage and causing problems. Never been to a game without seeing at least one fight. Dumb, man. You wake up the next morning hung over, probably sore and having to go defend a disorderly conduct (or more) charge. I'm either too old or too sensible to get caught up in any of that. It ain't worth it, man. I've also seen such stuff at Bears, Bulls and Cubs games although it does seem to happen more often at Comiskey.

99.9 percent of the Sox fans at games have fun, cheer and boo, make noise, but act decently. The other .1 percent cast an aspersion on the rest of us. Oh yeah, Mariotti will have a field day with this one. But don't let it get you down. Don't let the idiots out there speak for all of us. :smile:

duke of dorwood
09-20-2002, 11:19 AM
I've been at half price nights where the irregular fans have gotten rowdy. Thats where I always expected this to happen. By the way, the father could have bought beer and the son poured it in a soft drink souvenier cup where it couldn't be seen. The vendors are very strict about carding people.

Chisox353014
09-20-2002, 11:27 AM
Front page of the Sun-Times this morning: CHAOS AT COMISKEY!

Thanks a lot you *@#*^ing mullet-headed morons!! :angry:
Like this team and its fans needed more bad publicity.

DrCrawdad
09-20-2002, 11:31 AM
I don't know if I'll be able to express this quite right, but here I go.

I've encountered these violent types in the past, but not at Comiskey. They appeared to be the types that are stoked for trouble. You know, look at them wrong and you'll get clobbered. Violent, thuggish bullies itching for any excuse to beat up someone, usually someone who is unable to defend themself.

Fortunately Gamboa wasnít seriously injured. Good for Gamboa that he had security and teammates there to intervene in his behalf. Can you imagine what might have happened had these two thugs took out their violence on some unsuspecting fan?

There are some stupid goons in this world. Good thing these two goons will be punished for their crime.

steff
09-20-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by viagracat

The one problem I have with Comiskey is that every time I go to a game, and especially if I'm anywhere near the Bullpen, there are always young jagbags exhibiting liquid courage and causing problems. Never been to a game without seeing at least one fight.

Our season tickets are first row behind the patio and bullpen bar area and I've NEVER seen a fight there. Honestly.. I've only seen 2 fights this year. Upperdeck during the Cubs series, and one a few weeks ago in the outfield that I think was over a HR ball...
I missed the ones during the Cleveland series that supposedly happened, too. They were not near the bar area.

duke of dorwood
09-20-2002, 11:39 AM
I saw 1 fierce brawl down the right field line this year, I think it was during the Yankee series. It seemed to me that the number of fights this year was more than recent years. There were even girls that tried to start one with my daughters in the left field ladies room. Its called too much beer.

Bucktown
09-20-2002, 11:59 AM
The only thing rare about this behavior was that it was carried out on to the field.

I see this element a lot at both Chicago ball parks. All of it alcohol induced. I was at a game earlier this year and a group of young men verbally taunted some Ranger fans that were just there to enjoy the game. It wasn't good natured at all. It was profane, personal and threatening.

I hesitate to take my kids to this environment. No wonder the minor leagues teams are looking like a better option for families.

Viva Magglio
09-20-2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I saw 1 fierce brawl down the right field line this year, I think it was during the Yankee series. It seemed to me that the number of fights this year was more than recent years. There were even girls that tried to start one with my daughters in the left field ladies room. Its called too much beer.

After we beat the Mets at Comiskey, I saw a nasty fight between Sox and Mets fans. One guy got stomped in the face.

SaltyPretzel
09-20-2002, 12:23 PM
These thugs probably attacted Gamboa for "Throwing Signs."

hold2dibber
09-20-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by steff3603
Our season tickets are first row behind the patio and bullpen bar area and I've NEVER seen a fight there. Honestly.. I've only seen 2 fights this year. Upperdeck during the Cubs series, and one a few weeks ago in the outfield that I think was over a HR ball...
I missed the ones during the Cleveland series that supposedly happened, too. They were not near the bar area.

I've gone to anywhere from 10 to 30 Sox games every year for about 20 years, and in all that time, I've seen one fight in the park and on fight outside of the park.

Chisox353014
09-20-2002, 12:27 PM

Here's another great one for the family photo album:

pudge
09-20-2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014
Front page of the Sun-Times this morning: CHAOS AT COMISKEY!

Thanks a lot you *@#*^ing mullet-headed morons!! :angry:
Like this team and its fans needed more bad publicity.

Maybe the Comiskey crowds will increase by attracting the WWE fans.

Chisox353014
09-20-2002, 02:09 PM
Some quality family time together...

voodoochile
09-20-2002, 02:14 PM
Man you have to feel at least a little sorry for the kid. He goes to a game with his old man and ends up getting his butt kicked and arrested and facing felony charges. I know he acted on his own, but you have to believe this is mostly the old man's doing and now that kid's life is wrecked. Tough or not, he is only 15 years old...

Nellie_Fox
09-20-2002, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Man you have to feel at least a little sorry for the kid. Not remotely. Not even the teeniest, tiniest little bit.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-20-2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Not remotely. Not even the teeniest, tiniest little bit.

I'm surprised the cops didn't immediately separate these two from one another. They would be just the kind to start ratting on one another for whose bright idea it was to assault a first base coach.

What a touching family scene that must be every Thanksgiving as they all fight over the last pot pie.

DVG
09-20-2002, 03:20 PM
In view of what took place tonight, you will be interested to read former Sox 2nd baseman Mike Andrews, account of when Don Buford of the Orioles was attacked and punched out a drunk fan at Comiskey Park, Memorial Day 1971.

It's in the upcoming Q&A with him that Pale Hose George tells me will hit the site over the weekend.

Lip

I also remember an incident in 1979 or so when either Tippy or
Denny Martinez (then with the Orioles) had a beer bottle thrown
at him at Comiskey. It hit him in the head and several stitches
were needed to close the cut.

DVG
09-20-2002, 03:22 PM

A couple of monkeys read your post, and they're offended that
you lumped those two with them.

Paulwny
09-20-2002, 03:34 PM
FOX News reported that the father has 9 previous arrests.

Dadawg_77
09-20-2002, 03:36 PM
Not remotely. Not even the teeniest, tiniest little bit.

I feel sorry for the fact this kid has a father like that. Not that doesn't he should face the consequences of his choice. At only 15 years of age efforts should be made to turn him around before he ends up like dear old dad.

Kilroy
09-20-2002, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
I feel sorry for the fact this kid has a father like that. Not that doesn't he should face the consequences of his choice. At only 15 years of age efforts should be made to turn him around before he ends up like dear old dad.

You said the key word yourself. CHOICE. At 15 years of age, while not fully equipped and ready for the world, you still have a pretty damn good idea of what's right, and what's wrong. I have a five year old, and she knows, so pardon me if I'm not feeling any sympathy for this juvenile dirtbag.

voodoochile
09-20-2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
You said the key word yourself. CHOICE. At 15 years of age, while not fully equipped and ready for the world, you still have a pretty damn good idea of what's right, and what's wrong. I have a five year old, and she knows, so pardon me if I'm not feeling any sympathy for this juvenile dirtbag.

Yeah, but how many 15 YO kids would want to impress their old man? The old man is obviously a tough guy wannabe from his criminal record. The old man takes the kid to a game and then gets drunk and tells the kid, "That guy just gave us the finger, let's get him." There are a lot of people who given those circumstances would have followed dear old dad right over that wall, or even have led the way.

Yeah, the kid is responsible, but there ARE mitigating circumstances. Look at the eyes on that kid in the back seat of the police cruiser (picture earlier in this thread). He is scared crapless - as well he should be...

Dadawg_77
09-20-2002, 04:41 PM

The only problem is the guy responsible for teaching him right and wrong is the guy next to him in the back of the squad. That fact alone has to hurt the moral upbring of this kid. Your five year old know right from wrong because of you and her mother. I am sure you are NOT a **** rag like his father.

edit:
Sorry, I forgot to add NOT to the statement above. My Boss distracted me from typing this message and I posted before I read it. Once again, I apologize if I offend you, Killroy, I certainly didn't mean to.

KempersRS
09-20-2002, 04:43 PM

Really intelligent comment right here...wait, no.

Kilroy
09-20-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Yeah, the kid is responsible, but there ARE mitigating circumstances. Look at the eyes on that kid in the back seat of the police cruiser (picture earlier in this thread). He is scared crapless - as well he should be...

They always are -- after the fact. That's because they don't think. But before, he was a big shot. Gonna kick the hell out of that old man who flipped him off. Screw him. Now all of us that aren't trailer-trash dregs of society will have to endure even further security checks. We weren't a problem in the first place, but we'll have to pay for the actions of these two. I say charge the kid as an adult.

Dadawg_77
09-20-2002, 05:07 PM
They always are -- after the fact. That's because they don't think. But before, he was a big shot. Gonna kick the hell out of that old man who flipped him off. Screw him. Now all of us that aren't trailer-trash dregs of society will have to endure even further security checks. We weren't a problem in the first place, but we'll have to pay for the actions of these two. I say charge the kid as an adult.

You can't by law charge him as Adult, I don't believe. The father can be charged with his son's crimes to, I heard, under Il Law. That legal action should be perused to it fullest if allowed.

whitesoxwilkes
09-20-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS
Really intelligent comment right here...wait, no.

I have the benefit of hindsight now and I think my initial comment last night was a little stupid. But keep in mind that I posted that rant about 3 minutes after the incident happened and was still pretty fired up.

SI1020
09-20-2002, 06:41 PM
They always are -- after the fact. That's because they don't think. But before, he was a big shot. Gonna kick the hell out of that old man who flipped him off. Screw him. Now all of us that aren't trailer-trash dregs of society will have to endure even further security checks. We weren't a problem in the first place, but we'll have to pay for the actions of these two. I say charge the kid as an adult. You're right I'm afraid. It's going to be as big a hassle to go to a sporting event as it is to fly. I haven't flown since 9-11, could have a couple of times, but just do not want the hassle. My daughter moved to the West Coast earlier this year. While attempting to pass the security check point with her two young kids, the security genius decided to give my two year old grand son a thorough scanning and pat down. The little guy was both curious and bewildered at the same time. While this is going on, his six year old sister starts to go forward into the crowd. My daughter was beside herself and my wife and I couldn't help because we weren't allowed anywhere near the checkpoint. I absolutely hate these two inbred cretins and what they did.

Bucktown
09-20-2002, 07:17 PM
Here is a great quote from espn.com:

"...they were probably drunk beyond reason, given that they willfully attended a Royals-White Sox game."

Oh, the bail bonds that bind father and son (http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/ratto_ray/1434400.html)

MarqSox
09-20-2002, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I've gone to anywhere from 10 to 30 Sox games every year for about 20 years, and in all that time, I've seen one fight in the park and on fight outside of the park.

Not sure if we're going to the same Comiskey Park ... I've seen at LEAST a dozen fights in the past two years, which is about 8 games.

WinningUgly!
09-20-2002, 09:13 PM
Nice poll from ESPN.http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/winningugly/poll.JPG

WhiteSoxWinner
09-20-2002, 10:50 PM
That ESPN poll is a bunch of crap. I was at the game, and when I saw those two yahoos jump the fence, me and buddies were like "two more guys trying to run the bases", but when they started to attack Gamboa, we all just froze mid-sentence. By the time, we started to say "What the heck?" the Royals were already leaping out of the dugout. I could see the same reaction from the Sox guys, and they were a whole lot closer. I don't blame any of the Sox for not jumping in. It was just one of the deer in the head lights reactions more than any kind of apathy for the plight of another human being. Anyone who is saying the players should have done more are morons.

One other point - I am tired of people calling these a**holes "fans" or worse yet, "Sox fans". You have to have respect for the game before you can become a fan, and it is obvious neither of these drillrods (nice word Dave Wills) has respect for human beings, let alone a game. I wish they would call them perpetrators or something other than fans.

Kilroy
09-20-2002, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
...drillrods (nice word Dave Wills) ...

We had a great laugh in the car after we hear Wills drop that one!!

voodoochile
09-20-2002, 11:18 PM

Okay, this is fiction, but here is a different take...

Yeah, I'm a tough guy. I'm 15 and I am a starting linebacker on the Main North football team. I have some friends I hang with and we make sure our neighborhood stays free of kids from other schools. Heck one time we even put the beat down on some kids from Main South was chatting up some girls from our school. Yeah, I'm as tough as they come in my class...

But, I ain't nothing like my old man. Now he's tough. He's been arrested 9 times or so. He even looks tough. Heck the other night at Comiskey when he took off his shirt, the lady in the next row asked to be moved. I laughed so hard. My old man don't tolerate no disrespect either. He has beaten me before when I wasn't polite enough to him and he always makes sure to ask me if I think I'm better than he is because I am a big shot on the local football team. I always answer "No," because I know he is a bad man, and I will never be as bad as he is.

So the other night he takes me to a baseball game. We're just hanging out. He has a couple of beers to get loosened up. I think he had some other stuff before we left, but I'm not sure. Like I said, we were heckling the other team something fierce and my dad took off his shirt. That was when that lady got scared. I took off mine too, because I'm tough, just like dad. Anyway, about half way through the ball game, we start giving it to the first base coach pretty good. Dad's pretty drunk and we are having a blast. Then comes the 8th and dad tells me he saw the first base coach flip him off. He is really mad and screaming. Then he takes a couple of steps toward the railing. I was right behind him. Dad didn't raise no chicken. Heck, I beat the old man to the Royals' coach and got in a couple of good licks before the other 30 of them jumped on us. 30 on 2 real fair, but it's like Dad said in the squad car later, "You got to act like a man when the situation calls for it." Me, I figure that first base coach got what he deserved. No one disrespects my old man...

Nellie_Fox
09-21-2002, 02:02 AM
Nah, Voodoo, the kid was way too scrawny to be a linebacker on anybody's football team. Otherwise, a good scenario.

As for whether he can be tried as an adult, any criminal charge in juvenile court can be "transferred" to adult court upon order of a juvenile court judge provided the child does not have the affirmative defense of "infancy," which is being under the age of 13. A 15 year old can be transferred to adult court, but it's rare except in murders or sexual assaults. It's highly unlikely in this case.

TornLabrum
09-21-2002, 09:50 AM
Nah, Voodoo, the kid was way too scrawny to be a linebacker on anybody's football team. Otherwise, a good scenario.

As for whether he can be tried as an adult, any criminal charge in juvenile court can be "transferred" to adult court upon order of a juvenile court judge provided the child does not have the affirmative defense of "infancy," which is being under the age of 13. A 15 year old can be transferred to adult court, but it's rare except in murders or sexual assaults. It's highly unlikely in this case.

Someone called Mike Murphy's show yesterday on The Score and stated there are only something like seven crimes for which a 15-year-old can be tried as an adult, including murder, aggravated sexual assault, and several drugs and weapons violations, mostly involving the occurrence being in a school or in public housing. I'm not a lawyer, so I have no idea how accurate he was. However, if he is right, the minimoron would have to be tried as a juvenile.

voodoochile
09-21-2002, 10:59 AM

I really hope you and TL are correct, unless there are mitigating circumstances - like he already had a battery conviction or two on his record - which I admit, I don't know. This kid isn't the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but he was with his father, and Dad had the knife...

Yeah, the post was supposed to say "linebacker on the MS JV team", but I messed it up. Leave it to someone at WSI to notice it - most of all Nellie - our resident proof-reader...

:D: