PDA

View Full Version : Report: Tim Anderson gets 1 game suspension

blurry
04-19-2019, 12:38 PM
Per Passan: https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1119290855507013633?s=09

A player shows passion and then gets pissed off when an opposing player intentionally tries to hurt him.

What an absolute joke. So many people around baseball are too fragile when it comes to certain types of players celebrating.

Domeshot17
04-19-2019, 12:45 PM
He must have said something real bad to get tossed AND suspended

TomBradley72
04-19-2019, 12:54 PM
Avi Garcia went deep last night for TB- threw his bat looking into his own team's dugout (1st base side- so not quite as noticeable)- I'd love to understand what Anderson actually said- right now this whole thing is bull****.

Chez
04-19-2019, 12:58 PM
Looks like Renteria is also getting a one-day unpaid vacation.

Boondock Saint
04-19-2019, 01:29 PM
Bunch of bull****.

guillensdisciple
04-19-2019, 01:34 PM
Congratulations to the class police of WSI. You guys sure taught everyone!

blurry
04-19-2019, 02:04 PM
Meanwhile, Kyle Schwarber tried to fight an ump, calling him every name under the sun after the ump made the right call.

And he got nothing.

asindc
04-19-2019, 02:36 PM
This is bull****.

kobo
04-19-2019, 02:53 PM
Jeff Passan ✔ @JeffPassan
(https://twitter.com/JeffPassan) (https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1119310091969355776)
During the benches-clearing incident, White Sox shortstop Tim Anderson called Royals pitcher Brad Keller a "weak-ass f---ing n-word," sources tell ESPN. Anderson, who was hit by a Keller pitch one at-bat after he hit a home run and flipped his bat, was suspended for one game.

TomBradley72
04-19-2019, 03:11 PM
Jeff Passan ✔ @JeffPassan
(https://twitter.com/JeffPassan) (https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1119310091969355776)
During the benches-clearing incident, White Sox shortstop Tim Anderson called Royals pitcher Brad Keller a "weak-ass f---ing n-word," sources tell ESPN. Anderson, who was hit by a Keller pitch one at-bat after he hit a home run and flipped his bat, was suspended for one game.

Wow- that's not cool. Imagine if another player said that to TA?

kobo
04-19-2019, 03:15 PM
Yeah, not good.

ChiSoxNationPres
04-19-2019, 03:29 PM

Completely different scenario if that happened. Not defending Tim for this, but this is probably said every other play in the NFL.

Rocky Soprano
04-19-2019, 03:32 PM
I'm going to wait until TA speaks before commenting.

Noneck
04-19-2019, 03:32 PM
As Paul Harvey said, Now the rest of the story. One has to wait to hear the whole story before making a judgement. It was fair suspensions for all involved.

Mohoney
04-19-2019, 03:37 PM
Completely different scenario if that happened. Not defending Tim for this, but this is probably said every other play in the NFL.
IIRC, Colin Kaepernick was ejected from a game against the Bears for using that word.

TomBradley72
04-19-2019, 03:55 PM

I agree it's different- but still 100% unacceptable.

voodoochile
04-19-2019, 04:01 PM
If that report is true, Tim deserves the suspension.

TDog
04-19-2019, 04:15 PM
The one-game suspension was what I expected.

This isn't a case of being penalized for showing passion. This is a case of taunting, baiting the other team. Even after he was hit, if he had simply gone down to first base, there wouldn't have been a problem. The "bat-flip" itself was provocative enough that he had to expect to get thrown at. After a pause, he threw his bat overhand over/past the catcher and judging from the reaction of the catcher, he probably said said something while doing so. In any case, he had to know he crossed the line before he went far enough to get ejected.

It should have been obvious that he said something after he got hit to escalate the situation, and it would probably get him suspended, unless Joe West simply let things get out of control and arbitrarily ejected people involved. Watching the replay, and it was shown on the MLB Network several times while I was out to dinner Wednesday night (at a restaurant without Royals rooting interest where people expressed disgust with Anderson), it should have been obvious that he crossed the line.

If Carlton Fisk were managing, Anderson likely wouldn't have played Thursday. You don't have to go back a few decades to find players who schooled teammates and opponents on who to play the game right, and even if I'm in the minority here, I for one don't believe Fisk's class as a ballplayer has gone out of style. At this summer's Hall of Fame induction ceremonies, the word "class" will come up frequently.

I really like the way Anderson has come out this season, at the plate at least. He has made some errors, but I like the way he is approaching his at bats. He appears to be fulfilling his potential as a hitter and may just need a couple of tweaks with his throwing mechanics in the field. I'm an Anderson fan. But even if his antics Wednesday are applauded by some here for the excitement and passion, fans across the country who aren't disposed to giving White Sox players the benefit of every doubt see him as being worse than a jerk.

This probably won't some up, but if Anderson is hitting .400 in August, I would like to see casual fans across the country pulling for him the way they pulled for George Brett and Tony Gwynn the years they were chasing .400. With Anderson, unfortunately, I don't see that happening.

What the country doesn't need is more reasons for baseball fans to hate the White Sox.

Domeshot17
04-19-2019, 04:52 PM
This has nothing to do with taunting or old outdated stupid tradition. This is 100% because of a word Anderson used. Nothing more, nothing less

JermaineDye05
04-19-2019, 04:53 PM

This isn't a case of being penalized for showing passion. This is a case of taunting, baiting the other team. Even after he was hit, if he had simply gone down to first base, there wouldn't have been a problem. The "bat-flip" itself was provocative enough that he had to expect to get thrown at. After a pause, he threw his bat overhand over/past the catcher and judging from the reaction of the catcher, he probably said said something while doing so. In any case, he had to know he crossed the line before he went far enough to get ejected.

I still can't believe there are Sox fans that are resound to victim blaming in this situation. Tim did nothing wrong. He tossed his bat and shouted at his own dugout in celebration after hitting a mammoth of a homerun. If it bothers the opposition so much, get him out then.

Yeah, if Tim said what he said, he probably should have used his words more wisely. Especially given the umpiring crew at the time, he probably should have expected some sort of repercussion for that. And with what I'm sure is probably a zero tolerance on all racial slurs, the suspension is justified. But at the same time, Tim was not the proverbial "baiter" in this situation. The baiting was done by the "Holier than thou" Royals who took it upon themselves to decide to police baseball once again by throwing at a player not wearing their uniform for having the audacity to celebrate in front of them.

The sad thing is, Tim is also being punished for playing for a garbage team like the White Sox. I'm skeptical he would have received any sort of punishment if he played for a more high profile team, especially given the insane tear he has been on.

Every interview I hear from Tim Anderson, the more I like him. You don't suppress this kind of player - you promote him. Glad he plays for our team.

Mr. Jinx
04-19-2019, 05:19 PM
I still can't believe there are Sox fans that are resound to victim blaming in this situation. Tim did nothing wrong. He tossed his bat and shouted at his own dugout in celebration after hitting a mammoth of a homerun. If it bothers the opposition so much, get him out then.

Yeah, if Tim said what he said, he probably should have used his words more wisely. Especially given the umpiring crew at the time, he probably should have expected some sort of repercussion for that. And with what I'm sure is probably a zero tolerance on all racial slurs, the suspension is justified. But at the same time, Tim was not the proverbial "baiter" in this situation. The baiting was done by the "Holier than thou" Royals who took it upon themselves to decide to police baseball once again by throwing at a player not wearing their uniform for having the audacity to celebrate in front of them.

The sad thing is, Tim is also being punished for playing for a garbage team like the White Sox. I'm skeptical he would have received any sort of punishment if he played for a more high profile team, especially given the insane tear he has been on.

Every interview I hear from Tim Anderson, the more I like him. You don't suppress this kind of player - you promote him. Glad he plays for our team.

No, he called another a player a ****ing ******. There is no excuse for that. None. At. All.

JermaineDye05
04-19-2019, 06:24 PM
No, he called another a player a ****ing ******. There is no excuse for that. None. At. All.

The "nothing wrong" I am referring to was the bat toss which ultimately lead to the whole fracas.

TDog
04-19-2019, 07:03 PM
The "nothing wrong" I am referring to was the bat toss which ultimately lead to the whole fracas.

That bat toss is going to get a player thrown at just about every time.

voodoochile
04-19-2019, 07:04 PM

Ah... but should it?

guillensdisciple
04-19-2019, 07:15 PM

Everything you said is spot on. Tim is one of the faces of this franchise now, and I could not be prouder.

asindc
04-19-2019, 07:27 PM

That does not make it wrong to do so, anymore than it is wrong for a pitcher to yell and fist pump after a strikeout.

TDog
04-19-2019, 08:15 PM
That does not make it wrong to do so, anymore than it is wrong for a pitcher to yell and fist pump after a strikeout.

The two really aren't comparable except on a generic level. Of course, Anderson went way beyond a fist pump, which wouldn't have been a problem. A better analogy to Anderson's actions would be a pitcher who after a strikeout fist pumps, steps off the mound in the direction of the hitter returning the dugout and makes an umpire's out sign. That pitcher might have to field a bunt up the first baseline on the next pitch, getting intentionally spiked in the process. Bunting being a lost art, he might just get a bat thrown at him.

And, I would argue that anything you do that you know is going to result in getting thrown at would be wrong to do. Mixing it up after you get hit simply makes things worse and certainly doesn't help the wide-eyed-exuberance defense. Maybe in the little get-with-the-in-your-face-times-baseball enclave of White Sox fans this plays well, but this has been a particularly difficult and embarrassing week to be a White Sox fans in California. And I live around Raiders fans.

I am guessing Anderson's post-home run celebrations will be more subdued in the future, at least for the non-walkoff variety. Complain that the man, the fun police whoever is holding things down, but this episode does not make Anderson or the White Sox look good on a national level.

Noneck
04-19-2019, 09:17 PM
Even in a fit of possible justified rage, I find the racist comment he made to be reprehensible. A comment like this is not something that should be just swept under the carpet.

TheVulture
04-19-2019, 11:38 PM
Keller isn't of the race to which the slur applies, so I would argue it doesn't even qualify as a racial slur in this case. I don't expect anyone to agree, so no point in setting me straight here. I'm sure they have zero tolerance on that regardless, but I'm not holding it against him. All this tells me is he hates the Royals. I have no problem with that. **** those dicks.

XplodingScorbord
04-20-2019, 01:01 AM
If that report is true, Tim deserves the suspension.

Agreed. Think the thought, donít. Verbalize it, then go steal 2nd and 3rd.

XplodingScorbord
04-20-2019, 01:07 AM
I also think itís strange where every guy who gets a single these days is rowing a boat or sweeping the floor or making Mickey Mouse ears at his kid, but you crush a 400 foot homerun and suddenly itís bad form to celebrate.

thomas35forever
04-20-2019, 01:19 AM
Thank God his absence didn't hurt the Sox. That's all I can say.

BTW, that incident is about is animated I've heard Benetti since he joined the Sox. Can only imagine what Hawk would have said, especially with Joe West involved.

sullythered
04-20-2019, 08:35 AM
Context and intent matter. Tim Anderson was not making a "racist" statement. It matters who it's coming from, and who it's said to. Stop being intentionally obtuse.

voodoochile
04-20-2019, 08:56 AM
Please let's not go deeper into the racism angle in this thread. Thank you.

Rocky Soprano
04-20-2019, 09:10 AM
An outstanding article, IMO, on the entire matter.
Right or wrong, TA and the Sox have a huge spotlight on them and I hope they take full advantage.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/ny-sports-tim-anderson-mlb-20190420-d3felwl6zff2lkuakcasqha5di-story.html

ChiTownTrojan
04-20-2019, 10:45 AM
Context and intent matter. Tim Anderson was not making a "racist" statement. It matters who it's coming from, and who it's said to. Stop being intentionally obtuse.

100% true, there was no "racism" behind his statement. However, he still used a word that shouldn't be around the game. Anderson deserves the suspension, and hopefully he'll learn from it, but it doesn't change the way I feel about him as a player.

ChiTownTrojan
04-20-2019, 10:50 AM

It should have been obvious that he said something after he got hit to escalate the situation, and it would probably get him suspended, unless Joe West simply let things get out of control and arbitrarily ejected people involved. Watching the replay, and it was shown on the MLB Network several times while I was out to dinner Wednesday night (at a restaurant without Royals rooting interest where people expressed disgust with Anderson), it should have been obvious that he crossed the line.

If Carlton Fisk were managing, Anderson likely wouldn't have played Thursday. You don't have to go back a few decades to find players who schooled teammates and opponents on who to play the game right, and even if I'm in the minority here, I for one don't believe Fisk's class as a ballplayer has gone out of style. At this summer's Hall of Fame induction ceremonies, the word "class" will come up frequently.

I really like the way Anderson has come out this season, at the plate at least. He has made some errors, but I like the way he is approaching his at bats. He appears to be fulfilling his potential as a hitter and may just need a couple of tweaks with his throwing mechanics in the field. I'm an Anderson fan. But even if his antics Wednesday are applauded by some here for the excitement and passion, fans across the country who aren't disposed to giving White Sox players the benefit of every doubt see him as being worse than a jerk.

This probably won't some up, but if Anderson is hitting .400 in August, I would like to see casual fans across the country pulling for him the way they pulled for George Brett and Tony Gwynn the years they were chasing .400. With Anderson, unfortunately, I don't see that happening.

What the country doesn't need is more reasons for baseball fans to hate the White Sox.

You seem to think he got suspended for the bat flip. That's completely false. He got suspended for the language he used two innings later.

You also seem to think that celebrating a home run should be punished by having a deadly object thrown at you with the possibility of serious injury resulting. Yes, that has been part of the "culture" of baseball for a long time, but when you actually think about whether that's appropriate it sounds crazy. I'm glad MLB is trying to move past these outdated unwritten rules.

slavko
04-20-2019, 10:59 AM
Did anyone mention that Keller got 5 games? I know, that's one game for a starter. If he was headhunting instead of, well you know, might he have gotten more?

The Daily News article was outstanding if you support TA at any price. The opposite is also true, I guess. The right to flip a bat doesn't strike me as a fundamental civil right, though. I guess I'm in the minority on that one.

TomBradley72
04-20-2019, 11:16 AM
That NY Daily News article was very thought provoking.

The more I learn about Tim Anderson, the more I get to know him, the more I watch him mature as a player and as a man- the more I like him and the more I respect him.

The histrionics of modern day sports are very different than the norms from when I was growing up in the 70's...but I'm sure those norms were different than the decades before. (I've read baseball history books with players and managers from the early 1900's where they're commenting on how things had degraded since the late 1800's...such is life and so it goes).

In any case- I'm a big Tim Anderson fan- as our starting shortstop, and as a human being.

TDog
04-20-2019, 11:29 AM
You seem to think he got suspended for the bat flip. That's completely false. He got suspended for the language he used two innings later.

You also seem to think that celebrating a home run should be punished by having a deadly object thrown at you with the possibility of serious injury resulting. Yes, that has been part of the "culture" of baseball for a long time, but when you actually think about whether that's appropriate it sounds crazy. I'm glad MLB is trying to move past these outdated unwritten rules.

I wrote that he wouldn't have been suspended if he had simply taken his base.

This isn't about outdated unwritten rules. Keller didn't throw at Anderson because he violated unwritten rules. This is about provocative actions that inspire provocative responses with escalating consequences.

voodoochile
04-20-2019, 11:46 AM
And done...