PDA

View Full Version : Sox hope to bring back battered pitcher Ritchie

Jerry_Manuel
09-19-2002, 02:28 PM
Sox hope to bring back battered pitcher Ritchie (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug191.html)

Ritchie is arbitration eligible after this season, and general manager Ken Williams said he will explore options for keeping him on the roster.

"[We] have to talk with Todd and his agent and see what his mind-set is, and we'll go from there,'' Williams said. "I'd like to see him back. This is not forgotten on us that this guy had gone out in his first eight starts or so and could have easily won each game he pitched.''

Ritchie was plagued by a lack of run support in the early going. Through nine starts, he had a 3.32 ERA but was just 3-4. He didn't give up more than three earned runs in any of his first nine starts, yet he continued to lose.

voodoochile
09-19-2002, 02:49 PM
How much should the Sox pay him? They can't offer him less than $2.4M, right? They should just field him an offer at that number and see what happens. I'd give him one more year to see if he can find the stuff he had before joining the Sox and that he had in April and May last season. Offer him some incentive clauses based on wins and ERA... Can't just give up on him can they?

Jerry_Manuel
09-19-2002, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
How much should the Sox pay him? They can't offer him less than $2.4M, right? They should just field him an offer at that number and see what happens. I'd give him one more year to see if he can find the stuff he had before joining the Sox and that he had in April and May last season. Offer him some incentive clauses based on wins and ERA... Can't just give up on him can they?

They pretty much have to bring him back, or Williams will look like a real fool.

I think he'll have a good season next year, not 18 wins like Williams told us, but 14-15 would be a help.

hold2dibber
09-19-2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

I'm kind of torn on this; I think Ritchie is better than he showed this year, but $2.4 mm ain't pocket change; I'd rather see them use that money to sign a better starting pitcher , but since that is likely a pipedream, I do think Ritchie will pitch better next year (if he doesn't, he'd better start preparing for his real estate exam or otherwise start lining up some post-baseball career options).

Daver
09-19-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I'm kind of torn on this; I think Ritchie is better than he showed this year, but $2.4 mm ain't pocket change; I'd rather see them use that money to sign a better starting pitcher , but since that is likely a pipedream, I do think Ritchie will pitch better next year (if he doesn't, he'd better start preparing for his real estate exam or otherwise start lining up some post-baseball career options).

The world always needs more used car salesmen.............

ode to veeck
09-19-2002, 08:40 PM
If they're going to pay him $2.4M, then they ought to at least let him have the full shot at 20 losses :redneck

foulkesfan11
09-19-2002, 10:29 PM
Booooo! :angry:

duke of dorwood
09-19-2002, 11:48 PM
Williams already is a fool

duke of dorwood
09-19-2002, 11:51 PM
Time to cut losses and get rid of him. Dont keep another young arm down for this guy. Hell, give the $ to Buehrle.

Jerry_Manuel
09-19-2002, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Williams already is a fool

I know Duke, but he doesn't want to look more like a fool.

Jerry_Manuel
09-19-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Time to cut losses and get rid of him. Dont keep another young arm down for this guy. Hell, give the $ to Buehrle.

I think he's going to have a good season next year.

RichH55
09-20-2002, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
I think he's going to have a good season next year.

Im with Jerry on this.....plus this is a risk that can be corrected easily enough and how many young arms are you confortable with in the rotation?