PDA

View Full Version : Way too much posting concerning the Cubs here!

KingXerxes
08-10-2001, 01:35 PM
I have said on several occasions on this board that we White Sox fans are way too paranoid.

Who cares about the Cubs one way or another? I don't care if Sammy Sosa hits 9 home runs today and they beat the Giants 35-0......it just doesn't matter.

Even last night, Dave Wills takes a shot at the Cubs during his scoreboard wrap-up. Why does Dave Wills - or any White Sox fan - give a rat's fat a$$ if Sosa takes a bow down by nine runs. Wills sounded petty, like a little jealous kid. A certain milque-toasty Cub fan called up to complain, and Wills ends up hanging up on him - it was all too typical.

Look at the last 100 posting on this board - I'd bet 50% involve the Cubs. C'mon guys there's a hell of a lot more going on.

The conundrum here is that even this post concerns the Cubs - but I'm only doing it to get it to stop.

doublem23
08-10-2001, 01:44 PM
Well, Wills had to shoot down the Cub fan last night, cuz that loser had the balls to call into the SOX post game show and start ripping on us.

But I think most of us feel that our season is over, and now we've all become somewhat of "fake" Astro fans and fans of whoever the Cubs are playing (Good news for FWC, cuz according to some sources, he's already a Giant fan. LOL!)

Yeah, there may be too much posting about the Scrubs, but I think that we've all seen enough of this 2001 Sox team, unless its the good team; the team that showed up for Wednesday's clubbing of the Angels, not the team that showed up Tuesday or yesterday. Those guys suck.

If the Sox got hot and started to chip away at the Twins/Indians' lead, I bet that we'd care a lot less about the Scrubbies. But cmon, what Sox fan doesn't enjoy watching the Scrubs lead evaporate? I'd rather see us get back into this thing, but barring a miraculous turnaround, wacthing the Cubs fall apart is all we have left for 2001.

Soxboyrob
08-10-2001, 01:44 PM
You are absolutely right. We sound like a bunch of jealous little schoolkids w/ bad attitudes. I'd kill to have a stick like Sammy's on this team and a guy that is so good w/ the fans and media. And while you're at it, I'd kill for their pitching. They're a good team and we're not. Deal with it.

We make ourselves look childish and small by continually posting antiCub crap on here. Ignore them dreaded Cubs and maybe they'll go away.

KingXerxes
08-10-2001, 01:52 PM
doublem23 - Maybe I heard it all wrong, but Wills started the whole thing. When going through his scoreboard update he said (and I paraphrase):

"Well the Cubs lost despite Sammy Sosa's three home runs......let's just hope he keeps hitting them as long as the Cubs lose."

About four callers after that quote was when some Cub fan called to challenge Wills - who hung up on the guy. Look - if Wills doesn't go and make some stupid-ass petty comment, then the Cub fan never calls up. The real dumb thing was after Wills hangs up on the guy he says (paraphrasing again):

"Why should it bother Cub fans if I say Sammy Sosa looked stupid taking a bow down by nine runs?"

Well then Wills - let me ask you something. Why does it bother YOU that Sosa took a curtain call at all? Evidently you're bothered enough to bring it up on your radio show. Sosa's actions had absolutely nothing to do with the White Sox, and yet you're the one getting all antsy over it.

I don't like the way guys like Wills make normal White Sox fans look.

Fisk Fan
08-10-2001, 01:55 PM
Frankly, I find it quite enjoyable! We all have a common interest here, and that is for the Sox to make it to the World Series. If we cannot make it to the World Series (or the playoffs for that matter), then we must ensure that the Cubs do not make it either.

I am just dreading the Flub fans chirping for the next half-year about how they went to the playoffs and, god help us, the World Series. I don't know if I could stand it.

Serves me right for being a loud-mouth, die-hard Sox fan.

FarWestChicago
08-10-2001, 01:58 PM
Look at the last 100 posting on this board - I'd bet 50% involve the Cubs.

King, I think the anti-Flub content goes up after a wonderful evening of corpse ball. I think it goes down when the Sox play well.

Also, many of the guys here live in the Chicago area (I don't) and have to tolerate significant abuse at the hands of the Yuppie hordes. It's natural for some venting to occur.

What would Hawk have to say about this situation? :)

KingXerxes
08-10-2001, 02:06 PM
Last year - when I thought the White Sox would win the pennant - I kept my mouth shut about their superiority to the Cubs.

This year - even though I think the Cubs are going to have a real hard time hanging on to their division - I'll keep my mouth shut about their superiority to the White Sox.

If the Cubs win the World Series in four games over the Yankees, I'll not rejoice one iota - however I won't be sooooooooooooo miserable as if I just kept yapping incessantly about them over the course of the year.

Guilty pleasures - such as the one that Wills pulled last night, are funny for about two minutes. Afterwards you stand to look like a total fool.

Fisk Fan
08-10-2001, 02:12 PM
That is precisely what we're talking about. Most of us did not open our mouths at all last year about our superiority over the Flubs, but this year is a different story. We must turn to our own kind for understanding.

I have listened to this Flubs crap all year, and granted they are a good team, but I cannot turn a corner without running into a Flub reference. For example, I was in California on a private beach, minding my own business, when along walks a Flubs fan right in front of me. I cannot even go on vacation without nearly puking!

If we cannot vent to eachother, then we are all bound to explode with anger!

Kilroy
08-10-2001, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
But I think most of us feel that our season is over...

You know, I have more of a problem with that sentiment than anything else that goes on around here. Bashing the Cubs is part of what Sox fans do. And with the Sox strugglin and the Cubs not, its harder for Sox fans to take the Sox' struggles.

What happened to keeping the faith? To me, that's BS that people are saying the Sox are done with almost 50 games remaining. Eventually, they'll either be mathematically eliminated or they'll stay in the hunt and get in the post season. But feeling that the season is over is akin to giving up, and that's shameful. The division is right there to be had because the Indians and the Twinks don't seem to want it...

Paulwny
08-10-2001, 02:17 PM
I honestly don't think the sox want it either.

voodoochile
08-10-2001, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
Guilty pleasures - such as the one that Wills pulled last night, are funny for about two minutes. Afterwards you stand to look like a total fool.

Sound like something Hawk would say... :)

BTW, I agree, but I fear it is a lost cause. Bashing the flubbies is a time honored tradition around here...

KingXerxes
08-10-2001, 02:40 PM
:hawk

"Yessir............Cub bashing..........DJ, this thread reminds me of the time in Boston when I was the first player to wear a Nehru Jacket. Yaz said I looked like a total moron, and Jim Lonborg said I looked like a $5 hooker - but you know what I said DJ?"

:DJ

"No Hawk what did you say?"

"I made up a little poem. It goes "Sticks and stones may break my bones - but names will never hurt me."

:DJ

"You made that up?"

"Yessir.............oh goodie - look at that - Brian Giles just hit a two run homer to put Pittsburgh ahead of the Cubs in the top of the 2nd!......Yeah Ol' Brian Giles.....Mercy!"

delben91
08-10-2001, 02:41 PM
LMAO!!

King, your Hawk impressions are the greatest!!

MarqSox
08-10-2001, 02:59 PM
Last year I would've agreed that we should not care what the Cubs are doing ... but that was because we were headed to the playoffs. Now, I haven't given up hope that we can't make the playoffs again this year, but let's be realistic ... the odds aren't good. So, what's a true Sox fan to do? In this situation, geez, if we turn our backs on the Cubs situation, we're not only kidding ourselves, we're fools. It may sound like a doomsday proposition, but honestly, if the Cubs ever won the World Series (or hell, even MADE the World Series), the Sox could not survive in Chicago. Every middle of the road fan would jump ship and it's only we hardcore fans that would remain. People think the Cubs bias is bad now? You don't wanna see what it would be if that happened. Point is, Sox fans truly need to treat the Cubs success as a THREAT to our very existence. Not to mention, we deserve a damn championship before those idiots!!!

FarWestChicago
08-10-2001, 03:13 PM
King, your Hawk impressions are the greatest!!

The King is so good at Hawk I would have changed his user name to King Xerxes if he had just signed up as Xerxes.

Chisox353014
08-10-2001, 03:19 PM
As Far West said, many of us live in Chicago so we put up with this crap on a daily basis. It's even worse for me personally. Unless I want to add 30 minutes each way to my daily commute, I have to get off the el right at Wrigley Field. Try doing that every day, or living in Wrigleyville as others on this board do, without getting at least a little annoyed with the Cubbie Luv-Train. Plus when the Flubs are playing during the day and we're on the west coast, people will post Flub stuff because it's the only action going on most of the day. I mean, you can only debate Royce Clayton's suckitude so long before a "Cubs down 14-5" post comes in handy. And, yeah, if the Sox were actually contending instead of hanging around, the Flub content would be way down. Personally, I don't think it makes you any less of a Sox fan to post a Cub-bashing thread now and then. And I don't think it's really jealousy either. Most people here realize how lucky that team is to be in first. Put it this way, would you rather have that team heading into 2002 or the Sox?

LMAO at that Hawk impression BTW!

LuvChiSox
08-10-2001, 04:59 PM
<<We make ourselves look childish and small by continually posting antiCub crap on here. Ignore them dreaded Cubs and maybe they'll go away.>>

Unfortunately, they will NOT go away. This is a flub city--always will be--they will not go away no matter how much we "ignore" them. They are shoved down our throats every single day and frankly, we're all sick of it already. Until this city recognizes that there are TWO baseball teams--both deserving of equal and fair treatment--there will be flub-bashing.

And I thoroughly enjoy reading all the "anticub" crap. It's hilarious and makes swallowing a Sox loss a little bit easier.

KingXerxes
08-10-2001, 06:03 PM
I have come to the conclusion that there is no way one can honestly tell who will be better in 2002 between the Cubs and White Sox. Sure if all our rookies pan out, and our vets don't deteriorate, and we re-sign who we need to in order to keep them happy - then we'll be in good shape.

The Cubs in 2002? Who knows. Who cares. If Wood, Lieber, Bere and Tavarez are healthy, and they sign their #1 choice (I forget his name) - they may be great. If somebody goes down or has an off year, they may really suck.

doublem23
08-10-2001, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
What happened to keeping the faith? To me, that's BS that people are saying the Sox are done with almost 50 games remaining. Eventually, they'll either be mathematically eliminated or they'll stay in the hunt and get in the post season. But feeling that the season is over is akin to giving up, and that's shameful. The division is right there to be had because the Indians and the Twinks don't seem to want it...

Hey! I try to be as optomistic as possible, but the entire year, this team has shown the inability to beat the teams ahead of them, including the last series against Anahiem. And of course that sucks, because the Twins and Indians are trying to give us this god damn division. However, realistically, Unless the Sox start turning it up real soon, this season is pretty much done. When you lose 2 of 3 to Kansas City AT HOME, I'm beginning to doubt that THIS team (battered by injuries) can make a charge.

Now, I bash the Cubs as much as anyone - if more... And I have no envy of them, its all hatred. I hate them! I HATE THEM! I HATE THEM!!!!! But I think PHG summed it up best when in the WSI Manifesto he said, "nothing beats a Sox win, but a Cub loss will do in a pinch," or something along those lines. I'm not jealous of them. I'd like to have a stick like Sosa's in the lineup, but his ego is larger than some small planets. As for their pitching, the only pitcher they have I'd like the Sox to have is Lieber. Wood, Tapani, Bere, Tavarez, Farnsworth, umm. Fassero, and the rest are all having career years or in the case of Wood, are overhyped. I mean, Wood averages something like 6 BB/ 9 IP.

But maybe that's me. Maybe living on the North Side in a Flubby family has turned me sour to them. I love the Sox. If next year the Cubs sweep us in 6 games during the season, but we go to the World Series, I will not try and prove how we're better than the Cubs. I won't lament over the 6 games. I'll probably be happier than ever.

Just 'cuz I enjoy watching the Cubs blow it doesn't mean I'm some sort of jealous whiner. I put up with a ton of crap from obnoxious, dim-witted Cub fans whom I wouldn't trust to sew buttons on my baseball jersey. I vent my hatred here.

Jerry_Manuel
08-10-2001, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Now, I bash the Cubs as much as anyone - if more... And I have no envy of them, its all hatred. I hate them! I HATE THEM! I HATE THEM!!!!!

In the words of Far West:
Why don't you tell us how you really feel!

doublem23
08-10-2001, 11:12 PM
I ****ING HATE THE CHICAGO CUBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phew. That felt good.

And now about Embree.. god damn.