PDA

View Full Version : Some renovation news, no green seats

Jerry_Manuel
09-18-2002, 01:37 PM
More renovations: The upper deck at Comiskey Park is closed for the remainder of the season Tuesday.

As part of continuing renovations, the concourse behind the upper-deck seats will be spruced up in time for next season. Fans holding upper-deck tickets for any of the White Sox' remaining eight games will be relocated to the lower level.

While the steep grade of the upper deck remains the biggest problem at Comiskey, a major renovation is not expected anytime soon.

The Sox, who host the 2003 All-Star Game, are expected to announce additional stadium improvements in November.

It has long been rumored that the more popular dark green seats will replace the existing blue chairs. But at an estimated cost of $4 million to change the seats, that's not going to happen.

steff
09-18-2002, 02:03 PM
Security told us last night that they are removing the top 8 rows from the upper deck... and that they are building a porch in right field. Who knows how true that is.. but that's what they (asked several after the first one offered the info) said.

Kilroy
09-18-2002, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by steff3603
Security told us last night that they are removing the top 8 rows from the upper deck... and that they are building a porch in right field. Who knows how true that is.. but that's what they (asked several after the first one offered the info) said.

I know. I got the story on this last night, and it's not true. What is being done to the upper deck will be similar in nature to what was done to the lower deck concourse. That's all.

The home run porch, fancy new entrance, and removing 10 rows of UD and adding a roof? That was all a done deal at one point when the Sox had actually reached an agreement for selling the naming rights. But look back to the story by Fran Speilman on naming CPII Household Field, and there's a blurb about early press possibly killing the deal. Well that's exactly what happened, and it wasn't the Sox fault.

hold2dibber
09-18-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
I know. I got the story on this last night, and it's not true. What is being done to the upper deck will be similar in nature to what was done to the lower deck concourse. That's all.

The home run porch, fancy new entrance, and removing 10 rows of UD and adding a roof? That was all a done deal at one point when the Sox had actually reached an agreement for selling the naming rights. But look back to the story by Fran Speilman on naming CPII Household Field, and there's a blurb about early press possibly killing the deal. Well that's exactly what happened, and it wasn't the Sox fault.

You're probably right, but I wonder what the "other" improvements to be announced in November (as referenced in the blurb in the 1st post and as mentioned by Dave Wills on AM 1000 a few nights ago) will be; probably just minor stuff, but maybe not. I guess we'll see . . .

Foulke You
09-18-2002, 04:40 PM
While listening to the Dave Wills postgame show last night on the radio, he briefly hit on the topic of the upper deck at the end of the show. He said they are going to spruce up the concourse like they did to the lower deck and then hinted that the Sox will have "a suprise or 2" to announce as the season winds to a close. My thinking is that there would be something more extensive than just a facelift to the concourse up there. Why else would they close the UD while the season was still going on? They seem to be gearing up for something bigger. They were probably just waiting for the confirmation that there will be baseball in 2003 before starting otherwise they probably would've started earlier.

My prediction is that it will be a scaled down version of what they were originally planning. The last few UD rows will probably be sliced off and the canopy roof made, but most likely there will be no new seats or HR porch in RF. Reinsdorf knows this is his big chance to feature the park on the national stage at the 2003 All Star Game. He won't want the focus to be on the high upper deck.

Also, $4 million dollars for new green seats? Have the White Sox heard of something called "paint". I doubt it would cost $4 million just to paint the old seats green.

Daver
09-18-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
He won't want the focus to be on the high upper deck.

The upper deck is the same at Camden Yards,The Ballpark in Arlington,and Jacobs feild.

Foulke You
09-18-2002, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by daver
The upper deck is the same at Camden Yards,The Ballpark in Arlington,and Jacobs feild.

I am in total agreement with that statement however, the media in those towns do not harp on it like Chicago's media does. You know Mariotti and co. will be licking there chops to lay into Comiskey when we are on the national stage. If nothing is done to the upper deck, this will definitely happen.

I can see the Moron's column on the day before the All Star Game:
:moron
"Today, I am embarassed for the city of Chicago. A national baseball spectacle has arrived at the concrete ballmall. Here everyone can see the bad side of Chicago's baseball stadiums. Perhaps the out of towners and tourists should get their oxygen masks before they venture to the Upper Deck. In a perfect world this game would take place at Wrigley, Chicago's real stadium.

:ass
"Don't forget to mention that nobody comes to the park except for the All Star Game and the Cubs series!"

RichH55
09-18-2002, 05:31 PM

Also, $4 million dollars for new green seats? Have the White Sox heard of something called "paint". I doubt it would cost $4 million just to paint the old seats green.

I think its all or nothing on the seats.....simply painting them would be viewed as cheap and he would take even more flak, although getting those dark green seats would be such a good step in the right direction

bc2k
09-18-2002, 06:01 PM
I don't mean to sound like I'm from the north side, but getting new green seats without making the rest of the ballpark green would look tacky. Green seats and a blue outfield fence? That would look ridiculous.

While we're on the subject, Comiskey also needs a new sound system. It crackles, hisses, and has no bass.

Remember about a year ago when the renovations discussed a runway that connected left and right field? Or was I dreaming?

RKMeibalane
09-18-2002, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
I don't mean to sound like I'm from the north side, but getting new green seats without making the rest of the ballpark green would look tacky. Green seats and a blue outfield fence? That would look ridiculous.

While we're on the subject, Comiskey also needs a new sound system. It crackles, hisses, and has no bass.

Remember about a year ago when the renovations discussed a runway that connected left and right field? Or was I dreaming?

The fence would probably be painted green, too.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-18-2002, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by bc2k

Cinergy Field in Cincinnati has different colored seats for each deck and price zone. Yes, it looks really tacky.

whitesoxwilkes
09-18-2002, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Cinergy Field in Cincinnati has different colored seats for each deck and price zone. Yes, it looks really tacky.

So does Olympic Stadium. And boy, does it show on TV!

Ol Aches & Pains
09-18-2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
So does Olympic Stadium. And boy, does it show on TV!

Yes, you get a good look at those seats in Montreal, since there's never anybody sitting in them.

Viva Magglio
09-18-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
You're probably right, but I wonder what the "other" improvements to be announced in November (as referenced in the blurb in the 1st post and as mentioned by Dave Wills on AM 1000 a few nights ago) will be; probably just minor stuff, but maybe not. I guess we'll see . . .

A month or so ago, when an e-mailer brought this subject up to Hawk and DJ, we found out about the upper deck and that the scoreboard will be replaced.

Lip Man 1
09-18-2002, 10:18 PM
Remember when the first 20 or 25 rows at the Old Comiskey Park's upper deck in left field were a different price range?

To signify the difference Bill Veeck ordered them painted different colors. I think it was during the 1977 season but I honestly don't remember.

I just remember how they stood out versus all the other green painted seats.

As far as the renovations at new Comiskey Park, just painting the seats green wouldn't work. I don't think you can paint that slick type plastic. Eventually it's going to flake off from wind, sun and rain.

You'd have to replace them with seats tinted green all the way through the material.

Lip

Daver
09-18-2002, 10:21 PM
The seats can be the color of a baboons ass,they have nothing to do with what happens on the feild.

Kilroy
09-18-2002, 11:10 PM
The seats can be the color of a baboons ass,they have nothing to do with what happens on the feild.

If I had a nickel for every time I said that the color of the seats don't matter....

Yet and still, people talk about it. Strange how something so pointless can generate so much conversation...

Lip Man 1
09-19-2002, 01:32 AM
It generates a lot of discussion because for better or for worse, regardless of whether or not the allegations are true, many (most?) Sox fans DO NOT like the New Comiskey Park and long for a return to more of the old one.

Certainly a nice Forrest Green color is more a part of the Sox franchise then the Carolina Blue color which only serves to remind Jerry Reinsdorf of his "beloved" Brooklyn Dodgers.

(If only God had allowed him to purchase them instead of the Sox, how might the history of this franchise be different...and PLEASE don't insult us by saying something like "they'd be in New Orleans etc...)

Lip

basilesox
09-19-2002, 02:57 AM
I think that the old Comiskey Park was more homy and less sterile than the new one. It would have been cool if they would have either just refurnished the old one or just built a very modernized replica of the old one with no obstructed seats or anything else that people disliked about old Comiskey.

RedPinStripes
09-19-2002, 03:11 AM

It does effect how many fans come out to the park though.

RichH55
09-19-2002, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
It does effect how many fans come out to the park though.

To an extent........it was just a dumb move from the get-go....the fans like green better than blue regarding seats when the built the stadium it would have cost the same amount either way, so go with green......4 million to correct that mistake? Thats less than Royce

PaleHoseGeorge
09-19-2002, 05:20 AM
The original architectural renderings for New Comiskey depicted the seats and outfield wall in DARK GREEN. The Sox used this in their promotional materials from 1989-90. (Yes, that's something else I still have filed away).

The change to blue was made late in the design process. God only knows why such a stupid decision like that was made, but I have my suspicions who the incompetent boob was behind it.

:reinsy
"Have I ever told you about my love for the ol' Brooklyn Dodgers?"

ChiSoxBobette
09-19-2002, 07:18 AM
I am in total agreement with that statement however, the media in those towns do not harp on it like Chicago's media does. You know Mariotti and co. will be licking there chops to lay into Comiskey when we are on the national stage. If nothing is done to the upper deck, this will definitely happen.

I can see the Moron's column on the day before the All Star Game:
:moron
"Today, I am embarassed for the city of Chicago. A national baseball spectacle has arrived at the concrete ballmall. Here everyone can see the bad side of Chicago's baseball stadiums. Perhaps the out of towners and tourists should get their oxygen masks before they venture to the Upper Deck. In a perfect world this game would take place at Wrigley, Chicago's real stadium.

:ass
"Don't forget to mention that nobody comes to the park except for the All Star Game and the Cubs series!"

Moronotti & Flappy North , what a combo why would anyone care what these two have to say . As a matter of fact Weds. on ESPN they had Moronotti on to talk about the Bears , now why would ESPN have this horsesbutt on to speak about the Bears when the Chicago print media has so many more qualified football people writing for our papers. ESPN just lost all credibility besides I wonder if ESPN knows moronotti works for the sporting news radio station thats heard in the Chicago area. As for Flappy north the guys finished the whore radio station had to put, I think it's Doug Buffone on with him so theres someone with some kind of sports knowledge. As for the Upper deck I was called by the White Sox ticket office to let me no that my tickets for next Thurs. vs the Boston Red Sox had been moved from my season ticket area in the upper deck and I was to go to the area behind home plate on the main concourse to get tickets down in the box seat area. They said nothing about moving my seats for the series with the Twinkies.
Go White Sox
Go Joe & Joe

Kilroy
09-19-2002, 08:07 AM
Sorry, but you could talk about green vs blue until the end of frickin time. If you're making your decision on whether or not to go to the park wholly or even in part, based the color of the seats, then you need to figure out why you're considering going in the first place, because it ain't baseball. When you need to take a dump, does it matter if the toilet is pink, green, or yellow? I bet you sit on it without even a thought.

Give me a COMFORTABLE seat, first and foremost. After that, I wouldn't care if it was lavendar, fuscia, or polka dotted. As long as I have a good view of what I paid to see, I'll be happy.

And one more time, I never heard anyone complaining about the color of these seats.

steff
09-19-2002, 08:52 AM
EXCELLENT post Kilroy!!

I don't know who these "many (most)" Sox fans are that don't like Comsikey... I like it. All the folks I know like it.
If people are using the excuse that because the seats are blue, they wont come to a game.. GOOD. Stay away ya friggin morons. How stupid... "Blue seats.. no game for me". My gawd.. do they realize how retarded they must sound..??

hold2dibber
09-19-2002, 10:24 AM
EXCELLENT post Kilroy!!

I don't know who these "many (most)" Sox fans are that don't like Comsikey... I like it. All the folks I know like it.
If people are using the excuse that because the seats are blue, they wont come to a game.. GOOD. Stay away ya friggin morons. How stupid... "Blue seats.. no game for me". My gawd.. do they realize how retarded they must sound..??

I think you guys are missing the point. People don't refuse to go to Comiskey because of the color of the seats. However, IMHO, part of the total baseball experience is the surroundings. Baseball stadiums and fields can in fact be beautiful. I was at Camden earlier this year, and there is definitely a much nicer "feel" to that place than there is at Comiskey. When decorating your house, is your only consideration the comfort of the furniture, or do you prefer furniture that looks good, too? The same goes for a baseball stadium and, in the opinion of most people, myself included, dark green seats are more attractive. It should also be pointed out that dark green seats are what people around here are used to - both old Comiskey and Wrigley had/have dark green seats, and so Chicagoans generally view that as the "traditional" color of baseball seats.

As a die-hard Sox fan, I can't say that I like Comiskey, but I don't mind it. It is a good place to watch a ballgame. However, it lacks any charm whatsoever, particularly when compared to the original Comiskey Park. Does that in anyway influence the number of games I go to each year? No - I go as often as I possibly can (without jeopardizing my job and marriage, of course!). The thing that has always frustrated me about the "new" park is that it was a missed opportunity; when they were designing the new park, EVERY Sox fan I knew said the same thing -- make a cozy, old fashioned style park with some charm and some idosyncratic features. Make it interesting. But the people in charge, as they have done at every turn over the last decade, botched the job and missed a great opportunity. The color of the seats is just the tip of the iceberg.

Paulwny
09-19-2002, 10:59 AM
In defense of JR, wasn't new Comiskey a close call with the IL state legislature? Camden Yards cost almost twice as much to build as new Comiskey. I wonder if the state legislature would have agreed to that $$$ amount.

Procol Harum
09-19-2002, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Certainly a nice Forrest Green color is more a part of the Sox franchise then the Carolina Blue color which only serves to remind Jerry Reinsdorf of his "beloved" Brooklyn Dodgers.

Lip

As a long-time Tarheel guy, I must protest the description of Comiskey II's seats as "Carolina Blue." Were that the case, they would be yet a lighter shade o' azul. Like they say--"God Must Be a Tarheel--Why Else Would the Sky Be Carolina Blue?"

steff
09-19-2002, 12:00 PM
I don't think I missed anything.. RedPinStripes specifically said that was a reason. I stand by "my" comments. If someone doesn't want to come to the ball park because of the color of the seats, then stay home. They're probably the ones starting the wave, too. We don't need that crap at Comiskey.
Also.. I've been to Camden (along with 19 other parks), too. And I like the food and the accessability at Comiskey way better. And, the ushers at Camden are butts when you try to sneak into the seats behind home plate :angry:
Oh, by the way.. thanks for not correcting my spelling error up there :D:

Cheryl
09-19-2002, 12:42 PM
Blue seats is not what kept me from the ballpark for most of this season. I didn't go because I didn't want to watch a craptacular team.

You have to wonder, though, why the new batter's eye is dark green if there's no plan to change the seat color.

Foulke You
09-19-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
Blue seats is not what kept me from the ballpark for most of this season. I didn't go because I didn't want to watch a craptacular team.

You have to wonder, though, why the new batter's eye is dark green if there's no plan to change the seat color.

Interesting point about the batter's eye Cheryl. Perhaps when they decided on the color of the batters eye they had the intention of changing the seat color when they thought they could sell the naming rights.

Another thought did cross my mind. Perhaps the announcement of more renovations will coincide with the fact that maybe the Sox did indeed finally sell the naming rights. They could've settled for less then they could've gotten a few years ago but could be so desperate for renovations before the All Star Game that they agreed to any company paying some money to defer the cost away from "you know who".

:reinsy
"It is my $ great pleasure $ to welcome everyone to Boeing Field at Motorola Park!!"

Lip Man 1
09-19-2002, 01:38 PM
To the poster who asked why Jay Mariotti was being interviewed on a station connected with ESPN Radio...

BECAUSE HE NOW WORKS FOR ESPN

That's correct, ESPN is going to be starting a spin off of their very popular show "Pardon The Interuption" (one of the host for PTI is Chicagoan Michael Wilbon)

The spin off will involve newspaper sports reporters and Mariotti is one of those who will be on regularly.

Also Jay resigned for personal reasons at The Sporting News Radio Network last year. It was never explained why since he had good ratings but part of the speculation surrounded two areas (I got this from some of the producers that I know who work for TSN Radio). 1st was that when TSN bought the former One On One Sports Network they wanted to get "bigger" names to host, a la James Brown and Tim Brando; and the 2nd was because the network did not have any African American hosts.

Lip

irish rover
09-19-2002, 02:04 PM
As far as blue seats, it really doesn't matter to me nor most of the sox fans. The problems is, people believe that everyone who goes to Wrigley is a Coob fan and everyone who stays away from Comiskey is a Sox fan. The Sox need to attract the casual fan(which is who helps fill Wrigley and those that stay away from Comiskey) inorder to increase attendance and green seats will help in that cause. With increased attendance than KW and JR will have no excuse for not spending money.

As far as green seats, it wont happen. This is what I saw last night. Along the first base side to the left of the score board above the club level seats, they painted 4 sections of bare concrete 4 different shades of grey. They also painted the walls different shades of grey in the areas of the UD where they allow wheelchairs and provide for more camera positions. Also in sects 508 and 558(the 2 outfield corners of the UD) the pink concrete spaces between the roof and the top row of seats were paint either black or charcoal color. If you also notice that lower deck renovations, they painted the concrete grey and the front of the concession stand are blue like the seats thus it is very unlikey they will change everything to green.

I talked to my season ticket guy who said that the UD renovations that have been approved so far is the same as what they did to the lower deck. He said the painted those areas to see what they would look like but nothing has been decieded.

Now maybe they are doing this as a quick fix for the allstar game and maybe later change things to green. but like I said it doesn't look like it

ChiSoxBobette
09-19-2002, 02:10 PM
EXCELLENT post Kilroy!!

Yeah do any of these so-called White Sox fans go to see our White Sox or are they looking at the color of the seats, steps,walls, ramps...geez watch the game. Especially now with all of the young players we have up here. Are you color of the park watching fans watching the ball game or what. Like I've said before The Ball Park at Arlington - Texas Rangers & The Jake - Cleve. Indians Ball Park the seating there is no better than at Sox park, everyone crys about how high it is so don't sit up there because most of the people crying about the seating at Sox park buy the tickets don't they look at a seating chart or have'nt they heard Moronotti & Flappy north two guys who cry about Sox park and I have'nt seen either one there the whole year, well maybe they'll show up Sunday so they can get a freebie at fan apprreciation night. that would be flappy north for ya!Now I hear complaining about the color of the seats, godddddddd.
Go White Sox
Go Joe & Joe
:)

irish rover
09-19-2002, 02:10 PM
As far as blue seats, it really doesn't matter to me nor most of the sox fans. The problems is, people believe that everyone who goes to Wrigley is a Coob fan and everyone who stays away from Comiskey is a Sox fan. The Sox need to attract the casual fan(which is who helps fill Wrigley and those that stay away from Comiskey) inorder to increase attendance and green seats will help in that cause. With increased attendance than KW and JR will have no excuse for not spending money.

As far as green seats, it wont happen. This is what I saw last night. Along the first base side to the left of the score board above the club level seats, they painted 4 sections of bare concrete 4 different shades of grey. They also painted the walls different shades of grey in the areas of the UD where they allow wheelchairs and provide for more camera positions. Also in sects 508 and 558(the 2 outfield corners of the UD) the pink concrete spaces between the roof and the top row of seats were paint either black or charcoal color. If you also notice that lower deck renovations, they painted the concrete grey and the front of the concession stand are blue like the seats thus it is very unlikey they will change everything to green.

I talked to my season ticket guy who said that the UD renovations that have been approved so far is the same as what they did to the lower deck. He said the painted those areas to see what they would look like but nothing has been decieded.

Now maybe they are doing this as a quick fix for the allstar game and maybe later change things to green. but like I said it doesn't look like it

ChiSoxBobette
09-19-2002, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
To the poster who asked why Jay Mariotti was being interviewed on a station connected with ESPN Radio...

BECAUSE HE NOW WORKS FOR ESPN

That's correct, ESPN is going to be starting a spin off of their very popular show "Pardon The Interuption" (one of the host for PTI is Chicagoan Michael Wilbon)

The spin off will involve newspaper sports reporters and Mariotti is one of those who will be on regularly.

Also Jay resigned for personal reasons at The Sporting News Radio Network last year. It was never explained why since he had good ratings but part of the speculation surrounded two areas (I got this from some of the producers that I know who work for TSN Radio). 1st was that when TSN bought the former One On One Sports Network they wanted to get "bigger" names to host, a la James Brown and Tim Brando; and the 2nd was because the network did not have any African American hosts.

Lip
Well then god help espn , I guess now moronotti will be spouting off about our beloved White Sox on national t.v. The Guys The Biggest Horses A**. Wait until we have the All-Star game next year it will be nothing but negative comments coming out of the BONEHEAD

sox_fan_forever
09-19-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by irish rover
The problems is, people believe that everyone who goes to Wrigley is a Coob fan and everyone who stays away from Comiskey is a Sox fan. The Sox need to attract the casual fan

You are exactly right. When people ask me about the Sox attendence that is what I always say.

steff
09-19-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
Yeah do any of these so-called White Sox fans go to see our White Sox or are they looking at the color of the seats, steps,walls, ramps...geez watch the game. Especially now with all of the young players we have up here. Are you color of the park watching fans watching the ball game or what. Like I've said before The Ball Park at Arlington - Texas Rangers & The Jake - Cleve. Indians Ball Park the seating there is no better than at Sox park, everyone crys about how high it is so don't sit up there because most of the people crying about the seating at Sox park buy the tickets don't they look at a seating chart or have'nt they heard Moronotti & Flappy north two guys who cry about Sox park and I have'nt seen either one there the whole year, well maybe they'll show up Sunday so they can get a freebie at fan apprreciation night. that would be flappy north for ya!Now I hear complaining about the color of the seats, godddddddd.
Go White Sox
Go Joe & Joe
:)

Ummm... I don't quite understand your post.. but the fans I know DO go to the park. Many of them are season ticket holders (Most full season, many 27 games and just a few weekenders).

RichH55
09-20-2002, 01:37 AM
The point on the great seat debate is simple....The fans like the green better than the blue. When you put the seats in originally each color cost the same, so go with the one the fans prefer, its a simple as that. I dont let that influence that letting me go to the games, but that is just bad business....and the Sox cant really afford to lose the small battles along with the big battles they seem to lose with regularity

kingpin_rcs
09-20-2002, 02:32 AM
The blue seats at Yankee Stadium don't seem to hurt attendance (of course the W's don't hurt).

Have you ever noticed how it seems that JR is trying to be like George S.? First, he is origianlly from New York. He put pinstipes on his players (Sox home unis very similar to NY unis). Then he built a staduim with blue seats. The same shade of blue as the seats in Yankee Stadium.

Too bad he doesn't spend on payroll like George does.

hold2dibber
09-20-2002, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
The point on the great seat debate is simple....The fans like the green better than the blue. When you put the seats in originally each color cost the same, so go with the one the fans prefer, its a simple as that. I dont let that influence that letting me go to the games, but that is just bad business....and the Sox cant really afford to lose the small battles along with the big battles they seem to lose with regularity

Exactly - it is yet another example of JR making the wrong decision. He has done it time after time over the last 13 years or so. It absolutely boggles my mind - he gets it wrong at every turn. Ugh.