PDA

View Full Version : More Insight On The "Chairman's" Thinking

Lip Man 1
09-18-2002, 01:18 PM
From Phil Rogers national baseball column in the Tribune today:

"But the pay raise for inexperienced players caused some grumbling among owners, including White Sox Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf.

"There were a lot of owners who weren't happy about the minimum salary, including one in your city," said a highly placed MLB executive.

The new minimum would have affected 242 of 849 players on rosters or disabled lists when this season began. It could cost the Sox as much as $1 million a year because they rely so much on young players.

Few owners give their little guys less of a break than Reinsdorf.

He once tried to establish a precedent with non-guaranteed option years, which would take away arbitration while giving the club the chance to cut the player at no cost, and has tried to have college players declared ineligible after they rejected his offers to sign.

Reinsdorf doesn't mind low-balling even his best young players, as he demonstrated by renewing Mark Buerhle's contract in February.

He took $15,000 and a package of contract incentives off the table when Buerhle pushed for more than Reinsdorf was offering. Because he had only one-plus year of service time, Buehrle had no recourse.

But the young ace won't forget that treatment when it comes time to keep him away from free agency."

My God, what an absolute despicable scumbag Reinsdorf is!!! It's amazing the picture that is coming out of his comments and views during the latest labor negotiations. NOTHING changed with him since 1994 despite the fact that his views almost ruined baseball.

What's even more incredible to me, is the fact that despite over twenty years of factual, published accounts of this man's greedy, egotistical character there are STILL Sox fans (including some here at WSI) who think this team can actually WIN something under his stewardship of the franchise. That completely "blows my mind!"

Lip

voodoochile
09-18-2002, 01:27 PM
scary stuff...

:selljerry

:ohno
"Please?"

duke of dorwood
09-18-2002, 03:08 PM
:reinsy

I love the smell of cheating the players in the morning

voodoochile
09-18-2002, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood

I love the smell of cheating the players in the morning

...it smells like money...

MisterB
09-19-2002, 12:37 AM
The Black Sox? No. The true baseball curse on the south side of Chicago is the neverending line of miserable, cheap SOB's that have owned this team all the way back to Chuck Comiskey. (Well, except for Veeck, he was a cheery, cheap SOB)

harwar
09-19-2002, 09:45 AM
[i]Originally posted by Lip Man 1

He took $15,000 and a package of contract incentives off the table when Buerhle pushed for more than Reinsdorf was offering. Because he had only one-plus year of service time, Buehrle had no recourse.
But the young ace won't forget that treatment when it comes time to keep him away from free agency."

So i guess that Mark was Not just joking when he said that he wanted to go play for the cardinals in his home state.Unless ReinsDORF pays him what hes' worth,then Buerhle will be just another in a line of very good ballplayers that scream to the world what a piece-of-***** ReinsDORF is as they try not to let the door hit them on the way out.
I heard J.R. quoted once as saying he wants to outlast the other owners in chicago.Although he wouldn't name anyone,i think we can figure out who hes' talking about.At any rate,i don't look for him to be going anywhere anytime soon.

hold2dibber
09-19-2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by harwar
So i guess that Mark was Not just joking when he said that he wanted to go play for the cardinals in his home state.Unless ReinsDORF pays him what hes' worth,then Buerhle will be just another in a line of very good ballplayers that scream to the world what a piece-of-***** ReinsDORF is as they try not to let the door hit them on the way out.
I heard J.R. quoted once as saying he wants to outlast the other owners in chicago.Although he wouldn't name anyone,i think we can figure out who hes' talking about.At any rate,i don't look for him to be going anywhere anytime soon.

The Sun-Times yesterday (I think it was yesterday) that the Sox intend to sign Buehrle a long term deal this winter. Hopefully, he won't be testing the free agent waters at any time over the next five years, at least.

Paulwny
09-19-2002, 10:49 AM
How long has Eddie Einhorn NOT been active in the everyday team business? It seems the club situation has gotten much worse with him gone. Was he the voice of sanity that JR would listen to?

Procol Harum
09-19-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by MisterB
The Black Sox? No. The true baseball curse on the south side of Chicago is the neverending line of miserable, cheap SOB's that have owned this team all the way back to Chuck Comiskey. (Well, except for Veeck, he was a cheery, cheap SOB)

It might be more accurate to say that Veeck was a cheery, comparatively unmonied SOB. If he would have had the buckage the 2nd time around I think he might--and, I stress might--have spent the money to put a winner on the field. That said, we can all agree on this mantra:

ode to veeck
09-19-2002, 12:44 PM
What's even more incredible to me, is the fact that despite over twenty years of factual, published accounts of this man's greedy, egotistical character there are STILL Sox fans (including some here at WSI) who think this team can actually WIN something under his stewardship of the franchise. That completely "blows my mind!"

ditto, and not to mention the zero playoff series wins

voodoochile
09-19-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
ditto, and not to mention the zero playoff series wins

Hey, what about 1994 when the team finally won the pennant and stomped into the World Series - which they promptly won in 5 games behind the stellar pitching of BlackJack Mcdowell and Alex Fernandez in his prime...

"Wake up now Voodoo, time to wake up now... You know I did the right thing for the Sox by leading the hawk contingent of owners that year, now don't you? I was just looking out for the long term happiness of my wallet... er the fans by trying to save the game from financial ruin. Too bad the other owners caved so badly after I signed Albert Belle. But, no worries. I succesfully got the money in 2002 when the players finally gave it up like the ungrateful biatches they truly are. Now I can get rich beyond my wildest dreams (and they include bathing in Cystal daily and lighting my Cohibas with $1000 bills). Now I can pay down my debt... er field that winner for you lucky, lucky fans if you'll only show up at the park... show up at the park... show up at the park..."

:KW
"And you little dog too, my prettys..."

:ohno
"Anybody got a garden hose? Maybe we can buy Daver a supersoaker and solve this problem..."

Lip Man 1
09-19-2002, 01:48 PM
So i guess that Mark was not just joking when he said that he wanted to go play for the Cardinals in his home state. Unless ReinsDORF pays him what he's worth, then Buerhle will be just another in a line of very good ballplayers that scream to the world what a piece-of-***** ReinsDORF is as they try not to let the door hit them on the way out.

Please go back and look in the archives for my column called "Buehrle's St. Louis Blues" and reread it.

I have a friend who is now the sports director at a station in Springfield, Illinois who was at that banquet. He ASSURED me that he heard Buehrle's comment AND HE WAS NOT JOKING.

Buehrle's comments after the fact were spin doctoring.

As far as the report that the Sox may be getting ready to offer Buehrle a long term contract, let's see exactly how "long" that is.

You could be looking at another Foulke, Ordonez situation....two or three years simply to take the Sox off the hook from an arbitration standpoint. A deal of that lenght does NOTHING as far as giving Sox fans any security. The player can still leave in his prime.

If you want to make a statement on Buehrle (or Konerko or Ordonez or whomever) make the deal for FIVE OR SIX YEARS.

Lip

hold2dibber
09-19-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
So i guess that Mark was not just joking when he said that he wanted to go play for the Cardinals in his home state. Unless ReinsDORF pays him what he's worth, then Buerhle will be just another in a line of very good ballplayers that scream to the world what a piece-of-***** ReinsDORF is as they try not to let the door hit them on the way out.

Please go back and look in the archives for my column called "Buehrle's St. Louis Blues" and reread it.

I have a friend who is now the sports director at a station in Springfield, Illinois who was at that banquet. He ASSURED me that he heard Buehrle's comment AND HE WAS NOT JOKING.

As far as the report that the Sox may be getting ready to offer Buehrle a long term contract, let's see exactly how "long" that is.

You could be looking at another Foulke, Ordonez situation....two or three years simply to take the Sox off the hook from an arbitration standpoint. A deal of that lenght does NOTHING as far as giving Sox fans any security. The player can still leave in his prime.

If you want to make a statement on Buehrle (or Konerko or Ordonez or whomever) make the deal for FIVE OR SIX YEARS.

Lip

Amen! Giving Buehrle a 3-year deal accomplishes little, other than, perhaps, making him hate JR and the Sox organization a little less. But Buehrle should get a five year deal this off season, Maggs should get another 3 or 4 years tacked on to his agreement, and PK should get a 4-5 year deal as well.

RichH55
09-20-2002, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

Very few players sign 5 or 6 year deals unless they are getting huge contracts for the time like Frank, Arod or Manny R. Signing a guy for 3 or 4 years ala the A's before they really hit the high of their FA potential.......The Mags deal was a highlight of KWs reign