PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Pierzynski

OfficerKarkovice
09-18-2002, 12:16 PM
Apparently not very well thought of throughout the league, or with the Twins themselves.

ESPN (http://espn.go.com/magazine/vol5no20pierzynski.html)

Paulwny
09-18-2002, 12:40 PM
Another case against "team chemistry" in the club house.

ma-gaga
09-18-2002, 01:43 PM
LOL. That article is a little tounge in cheek.

I was going to echo the entire sentiment of this article on this thread, (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14829) but for some reason my internet connection froze when I hit the 'post' button, and I lost my post.

AJ is an ajitator. Love him when he's on your team, hate him when he's on another. I was surprised Doublem23 liked him.

ma-gaga
09-18-2002, 01:57 PM
I was also going to mention his contract status for Doublem23;

This is AJ's 3rd year, but he isn't eligible for arbitration yet. I'm guessing that Mauer will get a September callup next year, compete for the backup spot in 2004, and compete for the starting spot in 2005.

AJ will get pinched, but probably not until 2005 or 2006. And these rough projections could be shifted back a year, depending on how Mauer progresses. Right now the Twins are content to let him progress slowly thru. He certainly isn't ready yet.

duke of dorwood
09-18-2002, 02:05 PM
:hitless

No one ever called me those things. And he never had his own Island

doublem23
09-18-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
AJ is an ajitator. Love him when he's on your team, hate him when he's on another. I was surprised Doublem23 liked him.

Sure, I despise him now (because he's a Twin), but I'd be willing to forgive and forget if he were to ever don the South Side pinstripes.

I like players like him, though. They got fire. I'd much rather have nine people who are known around the league as jerks who win instead of nine nice guys who lose.

Vsahajpal
09-18-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
I was also going to mention his contract status for Doublem23;

This is AJ's 3rd year, but he isn't eligible for arbitration yet. I'm guessing that Mauer will get a September callup next year, compete for the backup spot in 2004, and compete for the starting spot in 2005.

AJ will get pinched, but probably not until 2005 or 2006. And these rough projections could be shifted back a year, depending on how Mauer progresses. Right now the Twins are content to let him progress slowly thru. He certainly isn't ready yet.

I think Mauer will spend the majority of his 2003 at Fort Myers with a late promotion to New Britain, if he handles the FSL. I thought he had a fine season, obviously the plate discipline is exceptional for a 19 year-old in his first full professional season, and there's still loads of projection, but the lack of power he displayed coupled with the late season hernia surgery may take him off the fast-track.

ma-gaga
09-18-2002, 02:53 PM
thank god, a real minor league expert showed up. I had to fake it...

Listen to Vic. That puts my earlier schedule/projection a year back. Still, I think he'll get a promotion before he's ready, for publicity and pressure on the front office more than anything else.

RichH55
09-18-2002, 03:56 PM
Still assuming we dont have our catcher situation dealt with by then and when does AJ become arbitration eligible? This is something to keep an eye on...sadly by 2006 we could still need a Catcher

hold2dibber
09-18-2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Still assuming we dont have our catcher situation dealt with by then and when does AJ become arbitration eligible? This is something to keep an eye on...sadly by 2006 we could still need a Catcher

Personally, I think Pierzynski is overrated and I think, and certainly hope, that Olivo will at least be his equal in a year or two.

Twins8791
09-18-2002, 06:17 PM
Pierzynski is a Man as a player and a boy in other respects, sort of like Knoblauch was his rookie year and for some time after.

The writer of the article gets an error, though. Guzman was not home-grown. He was a Yankee along with Milton, traded for the aforementioned C. Knoblauch.