PDA

View Full Version : Keith Foulke.

MarkEdward
09-17-2002, 11:09 PM
Anyone still in favor of trading him? He's on the verge of having another year with an ERA under 3.00. Even if he's not a starter, he's a great reliever.

WinningUgly!
09-17-2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Anyone still in favor of trading him? He's on the verge of having another year with an ERA under 3.00. Even if he's not a starter, he's a great reliever.

Not unless we get something unbelievable for him, which is probably not going to happen.

hold2dibber
09-18-2002, 07:06 AM
My fear all along has been that the Sox will dump him just to jettison his salary, without really caring what they get in return (under the thinking that Marte can fill his shoes as closer and who wants to pay $6 million to a middle reliever). I for one think that Foulke is way too talented to just give away and I'm not at all convinced that anyone within the organization can be as good a closer as Foulke can be. So I would be strongly against trading him unless he would bring a top of the rotation starter (which would almost certainly require adding Carlos Lee or someone to the deal). Of course, at this point, I'd trade just about anyone for a top of the rotation starter. As the Trib pointed out this morning, three of our starting five (Ritchie, Glover and Wright) are among the very bottom in starter's ERA this year (Ritchie worst, Glover 2nd worst and Wright 4th worst, if I recall correctly).

duke of dorwood
09-18-2002, 08:36 AM
To rely on MARTE for the long haul would be foolish. He would wear out quickly. Foulke has proven durability, one of the few that hasn't had a bad arm, and has shown to once again be dependable. If next year continues the rebuilding process, we will probably see Royce Ring get his chance very soon. I hope not.

Vsahajpal
09-18-2002, 04:33 PM
I'd give up 2 top flite prospects for Foulke, right now.

RichH55
09-18-2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
To rely on MARTE for the long haul would be foolish. He would wear out quickly. Foulke has proven durability, one of the few that hasn't had a bad arm, and has shown to once again be dependable. If next year continues the rebuilding process, we will probably see Royce Ring get his chance very soon. I hope not.

Man the words Royce and Ring just dont go together do they? We have a pretty solid bullpen, lets hope they can work from strength rather than squander it

Vsahajpal
09-18-2002, 04:37 PM
Royce Ring, LHP, White Sox. Drafting a reliever in this spot made some eyebrows jump, but the White Sox were obviously enamored with his aggressive style of pitching and his lethal 89-94 MPH fastball/slider combination. He's working on a circle-change to give right-handed batters something to think about--something that will hopefully allow him the ability to appear for multiple innings. Going straight to low Class-A Kannapolis, he saved five games with a 3.91 ERA, a two-to-one strikeout-to-walk ratio, 8.6 K/9, and a .225 opponent batting average. He could vault through the minors rather quickly.

:)

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/20020917mckamey.shtml

Daver
09-18-2002, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Royce Ring, LHP, White Sox. Drafting a reliever in this spot made some eyebrows jump, but the White Sox were obviously enamored with his aggressive style of pitching and his lethal 89-94 MPH fastball/slider combination. He's working on a circle-change to give right-handed batters something to think about--something that will hopefully allow him the ability to appear for multiple innings. Going straight to low Class-A Kannapolis, he saved five games with a 3.91 ERA, a two-to-one strikeout-to-walk ratio, 8.6 K/9, and a .225 opponent batting average. He could vault through the minors rather quickly.

I still think it was stupid to draft a closer with the 18th pick.

Vsahajpal
09-18-2002, 04:42 PM
Well I don't! So there!

Daver
09-18-2002, 04:46 PM
Well I don't! So there!

Wow,hard to argue with logic like that.

:)

Vsahajpal
09-18-2002, 04:53 PM
It's not like Kazmir was available, and Ring came cheaply. The Cubs spent 1.425 million on Jesus Sanchez, roughly the same cost of Royce Ring

RichH55
09-18-2002, 06:26 PM
It's not like Kazmir was available, and Ring came cheaply. The Cubs spent 1.425 million on Jesus Sanchez, roughly the same cost of Royce Ring

A bit early to judge the pick

FarmerAndy
09-18-2002, 06:46 PM
What's with all of this positive talk about Foulke?

I thought that if a player is terrible in the first half, then plays great baseball during the second half when it doesn't really matter anymore that they were like Satan and should be burned at the stake.

Oh wait, different standards must apply to different players based upon our own personal opinions of them.

Iguana775
09-18-2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy

I thought that if a player is terrible in the first half, then plays great baseball during the second half when it doesn't really matter anymore that they were like Satan and should be burned at the stake.

Oh wait, different standards must apply to different players based upon our own personal opinions of them.

what you talking about?? foulke is a god and should be playing every day!!
:D:

doublem23
09-18-2002, 08:06 PM

Comparing KEITH FOULKE to ROYCE CLAYTON?

Thanks, after writing and revising this damn paper for about 5 hours, I needed a good laugh.

hold2dibber
09-19-2002, 07:04 AM

Give me a break; Foulke was outstanding in 2000 and 2001 whereas Clayton was, to put it mildly, not outstanding. Plus, I don't think Foulke was that bad in the first half. Someone posted a Baseball Prospectus (I think) article on Foulke's firs thalf performance that made a pretty compelling argument that while he did have a few significant blow-ups, his overall performance was okay. Plus, unlike Clayton, when Foulke was demoted he took it like a man and said he would do what was best for the team, etc, etc. Clayton, OTOH, bitched and moaned, despite the fact that he was hitting under .200. Not a valid comparison.

duke of dorwood
09-19-2002, 07:37 AM
Last time I looked, there has NEVER been a closer that doesnt let a few get away every year. Even the greatest ever have done that.

FarmerAndy
09-19-2002, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Comparing KEITH FOULKE to ROYCE CLAYTON?

Thanks, after writing and revising this damn paper for about 5 hours, I needed a good laugh.

I wasn't specificly talking about Royce. People have said the same thing about Frank. My point was that alot of people seem to have double standards when it comes to different players.

I've always thought Foulke was a little over-rated, but I don't hate him. I hope he comes back and pitches well. I just think it's funny when people talk about certain players, then their logic completely changes when talking about others.