PDA

View Full Version : Today in sox history

Paulwny
09-17-2002, 05:50 PM
From the Baseball Library:

The Chicago White Sox clinch their first-ever American League West championship, beating Seattle 43 on Harold Baines' sacrifice fly in the bottom of the 9th.

WinningUgly!
09-17-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
From the Baseball Library:

The Chicago White Sox clinch their first-ever American League West championship, beating Seattle 43 on Harold Baines' sacrifice fly in the bottom of the 9th.

The 1st time I ever saw my dad cry.

Paulwny
09-17-2002, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
The 1st time I ever saw my dad cry.

I couldn't stop smiling !

WinningUgly!
09-17-2002, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
I couldn't stop smiling !

Julio Cruz jumping on homeplate had to be the greatest White Sox moment of my life...so far.

Lip Man 1
09-17-2002, 10:24 PM
Right after my Saturday night Sportscast I went out and got hammered at a local pub in Monroe, Louisiana.

God I remember that like it was yesterday. The weather guy wound up doing my Sunday morning show (11 AM) because I couldn't make it in!

Lip

mike squires
09-17-2002, 10:39 PM
wow. that was a hell of a moment. i was only 10 but have some vivid memories. i was sitting on the couch when cruz jumped on the plate. hearing drysdale make the call (man, i loved drysdale) harold was the perfect man to drive in the run.

here's a question...who was the guy holding the bat waiting for cruz to score? was it dave stegman?

does anyone have a copy of that game? i would pay some bucks for it if you do... ahhh, the good old days.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-17-2002, 11:56 PM
For those who weren't around, it's hard to describe just how important it was for Chicago to FINALLY have a winner. Winning that division title was a huge release for a city known for all its losing teams.

The '85 Bears and Michael Jordan's Bulls were still years away. The Blackhawks hadn't won jack since 1961. Northwestern was busy setting some new record for futility, and neither the Sox or Cubs had won anything in over 20 years. We were the City of Losers--a national laughingstock.

As Halamadrid would quickly note, Chicago did win the NASL's "Soccer Bowl" with the Sting in 1981. Like I said before, we were a laughingstock!

So winning the A.L. West was huge for the entire city. In fact, it was Reinsdorf's crowning achievement. He was on the verge of owning this city. Not even the Cubune could bury him.

Those days are long over.

hold2dibber
09-18-2002, 07:01 AM
I was at that game, and it was, as of that point, the highlight of my life (I was 16). I just remember running up and down the aisles at old Comiskey after the game, high-fiving and hugging strangers, seeing grown men with tears in their eyes. It was awesome.

And I was at the game the following day (Sunday), when Mike Squires went up on the roof and hoisted up the Division Champs flag. It was truly wonderful. I wonder if they'll have any sort of 20 year anniversary celebration for that team next year.

mike squires
09-18-2002, 02:13 PM
that would be cool if guys like burns, dotson, luzinski, squires etc. made an appearence at soxfest 03. they might have longer lines than the current players. if so, i am definatly there!