PDA

View Full Version : Vincent On Reinsdorf

Lip Man 1
09-16-2002, 11:54 AM
From Ron Rapoport's column in today's Sun Times:

"Former baseball commissioner Fay Vincent settles a number of scores in his engaging new book, The Last Commissioner , but he seems particularly obsessed with Jerry Reinsdorf .

Among Vincent's allegations: Reinsdorf was, along with Bud Selig, the architect of the collusion strategy that cost the owners $280 million; he complained Vincent spent too much time away from the office after a serious operation; he spread rumors that Vincent had padded his resume; he belittled Vincent for allowing Donald Fehr into his home.

Vincent says his troubles with Reinsdorf began when he vetoed the idea of Minnie Minoso suiting up for a game that would have allowed him to play in six decades. Vincent says he asked if the Sox would hire a stripper to play center field or a nun to play shortstop, and Reinsdorf was not amused.

Vincent leaves no doubt as to why he was forced to resign as commissioner. He believed in working cooperatively with the players, which infuriated the owners who told him they wanted to break the union. ... "

voodoochile
09-16-2002, 12:17 PM
:selljerry

Although I do like the idea of a stripper in CF. Heck, they could alternate with a chippendale dancer so the female attendees could have eye candy too. After all, I'm there for the baseball...

Procol Harum
09-16-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
:selljerry

Although I do like the idea of a stripper in CF. Heck, they could alternate with a chippendale dancer so the female attendees could have eye candy too. After all, I'm there for the baseball...

I don't know about centerfield, necessarily, but a stripper--or a plumber, or a shoeshine boy, etc., etc.--might have done a better job filling a spot in our starting rotation or bullpen the last couple of years.... :smile:

RichH55
09-16-2002, 02:28 PM
Sounds about par for the course....but Fay dont piss off the powers that be, if you believe in working with people dont go out of your way to piss off a potential adversary. I read that about Jerry and said "yeah thats about right"...surely Fay must have known that temperment and comparing one of Jerry's favorite players and his pet idea to a stripper in CF probably wasnt the best way to go about things

Soxheads
09-16-2002, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
I don't know about centerfield, necessarily, but a stripper--or a plumber, or a shoeshine boy, etc., etc.--might have done a better job filling a spot in our starting rotation or bullpen the last couple of years.... :smile:

What about a french fry boy.... :smile:

PaleHoseGeorge
09-17-2002, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Soxheads

I kind of like the idea of a stripper better. I think Faye Vincent missed his calling. He's a promotional genius.

:gulp:

:gallas
"1/2-priced strippers night, all tickets the day of the game, courtesy of Camel cigarettes!"

Procol Harum
09-17-2002, 11:18 AM

I dunno--it takes some smarts to play in the bigs...we might need somebody who can man the drive-thru window.... :D:

Iwritecode
09-17-2002, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by Procol Harum

I dunno--it takes some smarts to play in the bigs...we might need somebody who can man the drive-thru window.... :D:

I think you're both trying to suck up...

PaleHoseGeorge
09-17-2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I think you're both trying to suck up...

Screw sucking up. Show me the money! :smile:

Sllib dekramnu llams.