PDA

View Full Version : Best hitter not in the HOF


Cheryl
09-16-2002, 09:41 AM
Is Dick Allen, according to this:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/20020905wolverton.shtml

RichH55
09-16-2002, 01:24 PM
I read that...makes an interesting point....but baseball writers look at some many things besides numbers, not saying they are right, in fact i think most times they are just pretentious a-holes who like to feel self involved, but I cant believe a guy like Tony Perez can get in but Allen cant even get a look...essentially attitude counts for way too much with the voters....

How can you elect Ty Cobb as your first member and then have an unwritten morals/attitude clause? Simple Ridiculous

Nellie_Fox
09-16-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
How can you elect Ty Cobb as your first member and then have an unwritten morals/attitude clause? Simple Ridiculous I might be mistaken, but I don't believe that it is unwritten. I think "character" is an actual, written qualification. Just because something was done in the past doesn't mean it has to be done in perpetuity. And, for all I know, the "character" part may not have been in the original qualifications for the hall. Finally, what is considered to be a character flaw today might not have been back then, and vice versa.

duke of dorwood
09-16-2002, 01:55 PM
He was a great Baseball Player. Its not always enough.


:harold

What about me?

hold2dibber
09-16-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
I read that...makes an interesting point....but baseball writers look at some many things besides numbers, not saying they are right, in fact i think most times they are just pretentious a-holes who like to feel self involved, but I cant believe a guy like Tony Perez can get in but Allen cant even get a look...essentially attitude counts for way too much with the voters....

How can you elect Ty Cobb as your first member and then have an unwritten morals/attitude clause? Simple Ridiculous

Well, I think Perez got in more because he was an important member of a dominant team; I'm not positive, but I don't think Allen ever made it to the post season. Not that this amounts to much, in my book, but good players on great teams often get more notice than great players on lousy teams.

Lip Man 1
09-16-2002, 07:18 PM
I think what Nellie Fox posted is now true.

Because of the Pete Rose situation the Hall Of Fame did change the wording on their requirments basically saying off the field activities will now enter into the nomination and election process.

Just another way to be "politically correct" and to try to defuse a future situation (perhaps with a candidate who has a drug abuse problem?)

Lip

hold2dibber
09-16-2002, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Just another way to be "politically correct" and to try to defuse a future situation (perhaps with a candidate who has a drug abuse problem?)

Lip

:nandrolone
"I don't know who he's talking about (steriods are a supplement, not a drug, right?)!"

TornLabrum
09-16-2002, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I think what Nellie Fox posted is now true.

Because of the Pete Rose situation the Hall Of Fame did change the wording on their requirments basically saying off the field activities will now enter into the nomination and election process.

Just another way to be "politically correct" and to try to defuse a future situation (perhaps with a candidate who has a drug abuse problem?)

Lip

As far as I know, there has always been a "character" clause in the qualifications for the Hall. What changed with Rose was that those who were on the "permanently ineligible" list were now officially banned from the Hall. Until Rose, that had been an understanding among the voters, and it kept Joe Jackson out of the Hall for nearly 5 decades.

Ol Aches & Pains
09-17-2002, 06:51 PM
The best hitter not in the HOF is obviously Joe Jackson, but since the author deliberately focused only on eligible players, I would argue for Indian Bob Johnson, who he ranked 2nd behind Allen. Indian Bob drove in over 100 runs for 7 years in a row. If I'm not mistaken, of all the eligible players who can make that claim, only Johnson and Gil Hodges are not in the Hall. And yes, I think Hodges belongs, too.

RichH55
09-18-2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
:nandrolone
"I don't know who he's talking about (steriods are a supplement, not a drug, right?)!"


Hold2dibber do you know how i can get that tag so i can send it in an email?

Daver
09-18-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Hold2dibber do you know how i can get that tag so i can send it in an email?

You could ask Winningugly to send you a copy of the original,he created it.

hold2dibber
09-18-2002, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Hold2dibber do you know how i can get that tag so i can send it in an email?

Here's how I think I'd do it, but someone who has some technical savvy may have a better way (very likely): I think if you access the "get more" tags page on the left hand side of the screen where you post a reply, then you right click on the Sosa picture, you'll get a menu from which you can choose "properties". When you choose that, you'll get a box (technical term there) that shows the URL for that picture. If you select and copy (CTL+C) that URL, and then paste that into your e-mail as a link, the recipient should be able to click on the URL and see the picture.

Daver
09-18-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Here's how I think I'd do it, but someone who has some technical savvy may have a better way (very likely): I think if you access the "get more" tags page on the left hand side of the screen where you post a reply, then you right click on the Sosa picture, you'll get a menu from which you can choose "properties". When you choose that, you'll get a box (technical term there) that shows the URL for that picture. If you select and copy (CTL+C) that URL, and then paste that into your e-mail as a link, the recipient should be able to click on the URL and see the picture.

All you will get by doing that is an image that says "stealing bandwidth is crime",he would have to get a copy of the original.