View Full Version : Top 10 AL Catching Prospects

HawkDJ
09-15-2002, 10:32 AM
This list is from Top Prospect Alert.

1. Victor Martinez- Indians
2. Jeff Mathis- Angels
3. Joe Mauer- Twins
4. Miguel Olivo- White Sox
There is no shame in repeating a level in the Minor Leagues so long as you improve yourself in the second year. Olivo has absolutely nothing to be ashamed of as he excelled in Class AA's Southern League to the tune of .306/.381/.479 with 51 RS, 24 D, 10 T, 6 HR, 49 RBI and 29 SB to go with a 40/66 BB/SO ratio in 359 AB. He is closer to the Majors than the players above him on this list, and once he reaches The Show he will be an asset if he can get anywhere close to the 29 bags he stole this season. Deserves more credit than he gets
5. Josh Bard- Indians
6. Kevin Cash- Blue Jays
7. Kelly Shoppach- Red Sox
8. Mike Rivera- Tigers
9. Ryan Christianson- Mariners
10. Jared Abruzzo- Angels

DrCrawdad
09-15-2002, 10:45 AM
Who's rating is this? Baseball America?

Just curious.

HawkDJ
09-15-2002, 10:47 AM
Top Prospect Alert. Thanks for reading
:)

DrCrawdad
09-15-2002, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
Top Prospect Alert. Thanks for reading
:)

OOPS! Wiping egg off my face. Wait I haven't eaten anything yet and eggs sound good. Plus I'm just finishing my first cup-a-coffee.

RichH55
09-16-2002, 01:16 PM
Well speaking of eggs, all of ours are in the Olivio basket(man thats horrible writing), so I really hope he pans out, even more so than most prospects

doublem23
09-16-2002, 02:50 PM
God, I'd love it if the Sox were to make a run at A.J. Pierzynski.

Or does that make too much sense?

Iguana775
09-16-2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

:KW

"Sense?? whats that??"

hold2dibber
09-16-2002, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

Is Pierzynski a FA? If not, I doubt very much that the Twins would trade him before Mauer is ready and even then, I doubt they'd trade him to a Divisional rival. And does your post mean that you don't think Olivo is the real deal?

doublem23
09-17-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Is Pierzynski a FA? If not, I doubt very much that the Twins would trade him before Mauer is ready and even then, I doubt they'd trade him to a Divisional rival. And does your post mean that you don't think Olivo is the real deal?

I don't know about Pierzynski's contract, and I know that the slim chance we do have at getting him is still a year or so away (when Mauer is good), but I really like Pierzynski, and if he continues to impress the way he has the last few years, I'd really like to see him in South Side pinstripes.

I haven't seen enough of Olivo to say for sure. We'll see in a year or so how Miguel is doing. If he's having success in the bigs, too, well then, that's fine with me, too. We need a god damn catcher.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-17-2002, 12:29 PM
Don't tell me Kenny finally got the better of Billy Beane on this deal?

:gulp:

:KW
"Everybody must be afraid to deal with me, 'cause I'm such a shrewd horse trader!"

:ohno
"Tell your story walking."

rmusacch
09-17-2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

I doubt it. Why would the A's trade Olivo if he was any good for a middle reliever, albeit a very good middle reliever.

kermittheefrog
09-17-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Looks like it. Trust me it's as shocking to me as it is to you, if not moreso.