PDA

View Full Version : A note from todays game


Daver
09-14-2002, 06:00 PM
With todays win Jerry Manuel now ranks 5th in franchise history with wins as a manager,surpassing Paul Richard's mark of 406.

bc2k
09-14-2002, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by daver
With todays win Jerry Manuel now ranks 5th in franchise history with wins as a manager,surpassing Paul Richard's mark of 406.

Wow? In over 100 years of White Sox history, we have the tinkerer 5th in wins. He doesn't deserve that honor. That's depressing.

Paulwny
09-14-2002, 08:09 PM
A lot of really BAD teams out there.

HawkDJ
09-14-2002, 08:33 PM
I'm going to get burned for this but....lets give the man some credit.

Daver
09-14-2002, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
I'm going to get burned for this but....lets give the man some credit.

I agree with that,given what he has had to work with the last two seasons.

Tragg
09-14-2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by daver
With todays win Jerry Manuel now ranks 5th in franchise history with wins as a manager,surpassing Paul Richard's mark of 406.

That's really hard to believe. In the 1950s and 1960s, we won a lot of games- second to the yankees damn near every year. I don't like Manuel's strategy much, but his teams don't quit - and in the last 2 seasons, they've had every opportunity to do so.

bc2k
09-15-2002, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
That's really hard to believe. In the 1950s and 1960s, we won a lot of games- second to the yankees damn near every year. I don't like Manuel's strategy much, but his teams don't quit - and in the last 2 seasons, they've had every opportunity to do so.

What about the big games vs. Minnesota or the entire west coast trips? Those games are over before they even start. Manuel sucks. Obviously the tinkering. The fact that he cost Buehrle a win by not letting him pitch the deciding 10th with only 100 pitches. Not playing Harris vs. lefties. Not having his team fundamentally prepared. Baserunning, bunting, hitting the cutoff man. Blame Pettis if you want, but its really Manuel's fault. Even in his manager of the year season, he was outmanaged by Pinella. Handing Clayton Valentin's spot. Not letting Foulke get two more freaking saves to get 100 in his career even though he's earned some save opportunities back. Not properly arguing incorrect calls. Having a Ghandi philosophy when at times a drill sergeant philosophy is needed. I could go on but I can't think of anymore at this time. He has got to go. In the first game vs. the Yankees, Harold Reynolds pointed out when the game was still close 5-2 with the Sox with runners on the corners, why didn't Manuel have the runner take second. Reynolds pointed out that with the infield in, it was impossible for Jeter to cover second, and Soriano couldn't do it because of his angle. The Yankees were giving away second base and Manuel didn't take it. And according to wins, this is our 5th best manager in our franchise. What a joke. Did anyone read this entire page, I doubt it.

Tragg
09-15-2002, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
What about the big games vs. Minnesota or the entire west coast trips? .

Like I said, I don't like his strategy much - that includes use of personnel.
However, he didn't saddle himself with clayton and ritchie, e.g.