PDA

View Full Version : Ramblings

Paulwny
09-14-2002, 12:20 PM
For what it's worth, statements made by yankmee announcers Jim Kaat and Michael Kay, last night.

The sox really overestimated the quality of their pitching staff this year.
Biddle's mom nicknamed him Rock, as a child he fell to the ground, landing on his head and didn't cry.
Tug McGraw was named Tug by his mother becauseof the way he tugged during breast feeding.
Nightly trivia question-- Who was the last sox left hander to win 20 games? (answer below)
We were told that when Biddle's plant foot lands, slightly turned toward 1st base his mechanics are off. ( It started to occur during the 4th inning)
Diminished skills clause-- Why would Thomas or his agent ever agree to this? He's the only player to ever have it.
Yankmee scouts have told me that they were surprised by the weight Jiminez has put on and no longer feel he has the range to play ss.
after Jose's error--We'll I guess he's a pretty good hitter for a ss
after Lee's adventure making a back handed catch---Many left fielders have told me the only way to play lf is be a good hitter.
Even though so many yankmees are in the HOF, none of them had over 3,00 hits.

Trivia ans--- Jim Kaat 1975 20-14

Lip Man 1
09-14-2002, 01:06 PM
The White Sox have been overestimating and overhyping their "can't miss kid" pitchers forever. Check out this list of "immortals..."

Jack Kucek
Chris Knapp
Ken Kravec
Bill "Bugs" Moran
Bob Fallon
Joel Davis
Jerry Kutzler
Scott Ruffcorn
Tom Bolton

Mediocrity thy name is White Sox

Readers are welcome to add names of over "can't miss Sox kids" who never did squat!

Lip

Joel Perez
09-14-2002, 04:17 PM
James Baldwin would be another one.

Guess after Black Jack and Alex Fernandez came through "the system", everyone else would follow suit.

Paulwny
09-14-2002, 04:21 PM
Steve "Rainbow" Trout
Nardi Contreras

CiscoCarlos
09-14-2002, 05:44 PM
Hey Don't forget Francisco Carlos!
(after winning two games in '67 they predicted future stardom.)

Foulke You
09-14-2002, 05:56 PM
Even though he was aquired in trade, I remember Jose DeLeon getting a lot of hype as being a top young pitcher of the future. Let us also not forget the immortal Mike Bertotti, Larry Thomas, Luis Andujar, and Brian Keyser. Cornerstones of the rotation.

:reinsy
"The important thing was that I didn't have to give any of them multi year contracts and they worked C-H-E-A-P!"

PaleHoseGeorge
09-14-2002, 06:21 PM
Okay, I nominate this as the most-depressing (and truthful) thread ever!

:gulp:

Paulwny
09-14-2002, 08:01 PM
I aleays felt that Dave Debusscher (sp) would have been a good pitcher. Too bad he dumped the sox to devote all his time to pro basketball.

bc2k
09-14-2002, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

I also heard Harold Reynolds laughing how the Cubs have been to more WS' than the Sox. And the other announcer called Don Cooper Nardi Contrearas.

captain54
09-15-2002, 02:10 AM
Rodney Bolton
Rich Wortham
Jim Otten

And how about the "three or four" from the 7 player 97' White Flag that Reiney said would be superstars??

Nellie_Fox
09-15-2002, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The White Sox have been overestimating and overhyping their "can't miss kid" pitchers forever. Please name for me the teams that haven't overhyped their kids. Every rookie ever to don the Dodger blue was a HOF lock according to Lasorda.

Lip Man 1
09-15-2002, 03:52 AM
Nellie:

But the Dodgers are (or were) smart enough to dump them on brain dead teams like the White Sox for players who actually DID make a contribution.

My point, which was echoed in a column by Bill Gleason, before he retired, is that all this "so called" great young White Sox pitching is a myth.

What are the odds? 1 of 10 minor leaguers make it to the majors and have a good (not great) career? But Sox fans are supposed to believe all this drivel about all these kids.

Pitching wins pennants and the Sox have had it only sporadicly since the Golden Age of the 50's through 67.

The good teams win because they do whatever is necessary to get top pitching (see D'backs, Yankees, Braves, Dodgers) Meanwhile our owner continues to sit on his behind and chant the mantra that "we'll win it with our kids, with a low payroll and without getting any top free agent pitchers...

Garland and Wright MAY turn out to be very solid #4 and #5 rotation guys, but that still leaves the top end to be filled (Buehrle can't do it all)

Lip

doublem23
09-15-2002, 07:32 AM
Well, I still disagree with you about Garland. He's still really, really young and I see him developing into a solid #2 behind Buehrle.

Wright, yeah, I could see him being one of those cool guys that rounds out a good staff.

kermittheefrog
09-15-2002, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Well, I still disagree with you about Garland. He's still really, really young and I see him developing into a solid #2 behind Buehrle.

Wright, yeah, I could see him being one of those cool guys that rounds out a good staff.

I still see both Garland and Wright as guys who will have some years where they are in the top 10 pitchers in baseball. Wright has made a lot of progress for a guy a year out of AA. If you think of the last year as a year he should have spent in AAA then he's performed reasonably well. I think Garland and Wright could both emerge as positive contributors next year.

Randar68
09-16-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Nellie:

But the Dodgers are (or were) smart enough to dump them on brain dead teams like the White Sox for players who actually DID make a contribution.

My point, which was echoed in a column by Bill Gleason, before he retired, is that all this "so called" great young White Sox pitching is a myth.

What are the odds? 1 of 10 minor leaguers make it to the majors and have a good (not great) career? But Sox fans are supposed to believe all this drivel about all these kids.

Pitching wins pennants and the Sox have had it only sporadicly since the Golden Age of the 50's through 67.

The good teams win because they do whatever is necessary to get top pitching (see D'backs, Yankees, Braves, Dodgers) Meanwhile our owner continues to sit on his behind and chant the mantra that "we'll win it with our kids, with a low payroll and without getting any top free agent pitchers...

Garland and Wright MAY turn out to be very solid #4 and #5 rotation guys, but that still leaves the top end to be filled (Buehrle can't do it all)

Lip

Who overhypes the Sox' prospects??? The Sox have been keen on guys with great arms for 10-15 years here. However, they tend to ignore injury problems or lack of mental toughness. Therefore, they have guys that pitch great in the minors and fall apart due to injury or lack of offspeed pitches, etc. etc.

EVERY team hypes their prospects. Independant scouting services have raved about these same players for years. Because they don't turn out does not mean they are overhyped. Overhyped prospects: Bobby Hill, Brooks K, Tyrell Goodwin, Kevin Orie, Kevin Foster, Jerome Walton, Corey Patterson, Kerry Wood, etc. etc. etc.

Every team does it, just get over it. Use your own melon to decide for yourself. Otherwise, don't ever read the Tribune or pay attention to scouting reports because you'll be wasting your time (according to your hype theory here)