PDA

View Full Version : Stones Tonight

hold2dibber
09-14-2002, 03:40 AM
My first ever Stones concert tonight - it was weird being at Comiskey but not having my Sox hat on and not having the place full o' Sox Fans. But it was fun. The Stones were truly great, the park looked great, Mick and Keith were great, but I missed seeing Maggs on bass. Get it, "on bass" ? Oh how I crack me up. Good night all. yowzee, I'm gonna hurt tomorrow. :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

DrCrawdad
09-14-2002, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
My first ever Stones concert tonight - it was weird being at Comiskey...

My wife and I were wondering about how they had the concert set-up. Where was the Stones stage? Did anyone sit on the field? Did the Stones use the Sox scoreboard Jumbotron? Where did you sit?

They showed a snip of the concert on 7's news at 10PM, but all you could see was the Stones on stage. It could have been anywhere.

Thanks,
DrCrawdad.

Foulke You
09-14-2002, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
My wife and I were wondering about how they had the concert set-up. Where was the Stones stage? Did anyone sit on the field? Did the Stones use the Sox scoreboard Jumbotron? Where did you sit?

They showed a snip of the concert on 7's news at 10PM, but all you could see was the Stones on stage. It could have been anywhere.

Thanks,
DrCrawdad.

I drove past Comiskey last night on my way home from work and you could see the stage in CF through the outfield gridwork from the Dan Ryan. It was that enormous. I also saw more limos driving around Comiskey Park last night then all of the baseball games I've attended there combined. Other then that, you'll have to find out more info from someone who actually went to the concert.

HawkDJ
09-14-2002, 06:38 PM
From the Daily Herald:

Here's a rare sight: about 52,000 people sitting in about 52,000 seats at Comiskey Park Friday, the South Side's concrete monolith called a ballfield, home of the lame-duck White Sox.

The sudden surge in attendance wasn't for a ballgame. It was for the Rolling Stones, the Brit-rock stalwarts who have been leisurely engulfing Chicago since early last week. The band played the first of a three-night stand Tuesday at United Center. The third show is Monday at the Aragon.

Individual members of the Stones have been popping up around town at restaurants, health clubs and blues bars. On Wednesday, singer Mick Jagger and guitarist Ron Wood snuck into Buddy Guy's Legends to join the club's namesake proprietor for a version of "Little Red Rooster."

The band is celebrating its 40th anniversary with this current tour featuring stripped-down performances in stadiums, arenas and small clubs, plus set lists that pair crowd-pleasing hits with B-sides and soul music covers they haven't played live since they first recorded them, if at all.

Friday evening in Bridgeport had a ballgame taste. Stones fans mingled in Halsted Street hangouts like Puffer's and Schaller's Pump before the show. The old Comiskey Park had a history of hosting many full-fledged rock shows, including the Beatles. The new park, built in 1991, had yet to be tested until Friday.

Located far in the outfield, the stage faced Comiskey's triple decks as the $350 ticket holders enjoyed field seating nearby.

hold2dibber
09-14-2002, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

Thanks,
DrCrawdad.

The stage, which was mammoth, was up against the CF wall, stretching from right-center to left-center, facing the infield. Above the stage was a monsterous video screen -- they did not use the Jumbotron. The IF was fenced off, but there were tons and tons of fans in the OF. There was a tarp or something over the grass, and my wife throught it looked like there was a platform of some type under the tarp; I couldn't tell. They had chairs set up down there as well. We were about 1/3 of the way between 1B and the right field wall in the lower deck, row 24. Not bad seats, but thank goodness for the big video screen and our binoculars. The upperdeck was full as was all of the lower deck except the OF seats, which were not used.

Foulke You
09-14-2002, 10:01 PM
Wow. That was nice of the Herald to fire off on Comiskey Park, our attendance, and the White Sox all at the beginning of the article like that. Do you suppose it was a Cub fan who wrote that article? :angry:

If the Stones played at Wrigley, here is how I would start my article:

Here's a rare sight: About 40,000 people at urine soaked monolith Wrigley Field actually paying attention to what is taking place on the field! It wasn't for a baseball game featuring the perennial loser Cubs, no, it was for The Rolling Stones...

Nellie_Fox
09-15-2002, 02:14 AM
Is anyone other than me bothered by the thought of the damage being done to the field?

doublem23
09-15-2002, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Is anyone other than me bothered by the thought of the damage being done to the field?

I was wondering about that, too...

Anyone who was there, did they look like they at least tried to save the field, or was it just a "we'll fix it in the morning" situation?

PaleHoseGeorge
09-15-2002, 09:26 AM

Somewhere in footy-land, Halamadrid is laughing at us. :smile:

doublem23
09-15-2002, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Somewhere in footy-land, Halamadrid is laughing at us. :smile:

It's all right... The Fire aren't going to the play-offs, either. :)

cheeses_h_rice
09-15-2002, 02:21 PM
I drove past Comiskey last night (Saturday) about midnight, and was surprised to see all the lights on full blast. From what I could see, absolutely no work was being done on any of the upper deck areas by anyone. However, reading this thread today, I am leaning toward the theory that the Sox ground crew was hard at work, trying to fix up the park again to get it in playable shape. Sounds reasonable.

hold2dibber
09-16-2002, 09:47 AM

I'm very interested in seeing how the field looks next time. As I noted in my earlier post, the infield was fenced off and no one was in that area. I think there was some kind of platform or solid barrier between the tarp and the turf in the outfield because when people walked out there, it didn't look, from my vantage point, that there was any "give" in the ground under their feet.

steff
09-16-2002, 10:01 AM
It was a 2 inch metal platform (riser) that was on the field. It was on top of a rubber "breatheable" tarp that was under it. Looks like the worst that would happen is the grass would get squished a bit. Can't wait to see it tomorrow, but I'm sure it's OK.

hold2dibber
09-16-2002, 08:39 PM
I forgot to mention the most disturbing and horrifying thing about the Stones concert -- Ronnie Woo Woo was there, in his Cubs uniform. It took every ounce of my self control (and my wife's not-so-gentle admonishment) to not drag him out of Comiskey by his nose.

whitesoxwilkes
09-16-2002, 09:13 PM
I ran into Woo Woo in the Green Line station right after the show..he was trying to rustle up enough change to get on the train back to his flophouse. Naturally, I got right up in his face and yelled "White Sox! Woo! Mags! Woo! Pauly! Woo!" and he just kinda waved his hand at me. Mind you, I had about 15 Miller Lites in me by that point.

And the capper...the train finally shows up. I'm already on and Ronnie is trying to squeeze on...I yelled"NO CUB FANS ALLOWED" just as the doors shut.

So there's my brush with "fame" for the weekend.

hold2dibber
09-17-2002, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
I ran into Woo Woo in the Green Line station right after the show..he was trying to rustle up enough change to get on the train back to his flophouse. Naturally, I got right up in his face and yelled "White Sox! Woo! Mags! Woo! Pauly! Woo!" and he just kinda waved his hand at me. Mind you, I had about 15 Miller Lites in me by that point.

And the capper...the train finally shows up. I'm already on and Ronnie is trying to squeeze on...I yelled"NO CUB FANS ALLOWED" just as the doors shut.

So there's my brush with "fame" for the weekend.

More like you brush with "lame" for the weekend. :D:

I'm still wondering how that jackass afforded a ticket?

steff
09-17-2002, 09:42 AM

He was sitting in the section next to us (123). When I was up on the concourse smoking the little blonde he was with passed me and I asked her.. she said he was given the tickets from someone at Murphey's.

Iguana775
09-17-2002, 07:47 PM
Maggs on bass. Get it, "on bass" ? Oh how I crack me up. Good night all. yowzee, I'm gonna hurt tomorrow. :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

what does fishing have to do with maggs?? LOL. :D:

WhiteSox = Life
09-17-2002, 08:04 PM

:woo-woo
"I do the stuff! WOO! It's the only thing that keeps me watching the Cubbies! WOO! And what's left over! WOO! I sell the stuff! WOO!"
:bluerock

cheeses_h_rice
09-18-2002, 09:59 AM

From where I was sitting last night (near home plate), the grass in the CF outfield area did look different. If you read the ESPN recap of the game, it says that Roger Bossard's crew replaced 700 square yards of grass after the Stones concert. If that's true, I must say they did an awesome job.

steff
09-18-2002, 11:38 AM
Agree Cheeses. The grass looked gooood! A little water, a little sun.. good at new :D:

maurice
09-18-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
From where I was sitting last night (near home plate), the grass in the CF outfield area did look different. If you read the ESPN recap of the game, it says that Roger Bossard's crew replaced 700 square yards of grass after the Stones concert.

I can confirm that. I was in right-center last night. Bossard replaced a large patch of turf in right, where the RF typically stands. In addition, there are several long rows of new sod running across center field.

Paulwny
09-18-2002, 01:57 PM
Did JR get a slice of the gate receipts and parking? Some owners get a slice of the action for an event in the tax payers' stadium.