PDA

View Full Version : Worst idea I've seen in a while...

MarkEdward
09-14-2002, 02:28 AM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/kreidler_mark/1430711.html

You want something to totally kill the excitement of Major League Baseball? This is a start.

Nellie_Fox
09-14-2002, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/kreidler_mark/1430711.html

You want something to totally kill the excitement of Major League Baseball? This is a start. I'm not at all sure, in a time when people think that all that matters at any position is the ability to hit home runs, that further expanding the playoffs won't work.

I still hate any wild cards (let's not even discuss interleague play,) but I've long since been an anachronism as a baseball fan. I still think defense matters (giggle, snort.) Why in the world should the regular season have any importance?

voodoochile
09-14-2002, 07:23 AM
It's not a question of if, but a question of when this will happen. Personally, I don't think the average fan cares about a KC/TB game in mid-August, so it isn't like the regular season has any importance to most of us anyway, unless our team is playing and in the hunt for a playoff spot.

I think they will have to shorten the season by a few games to accomplish this, but maybe last year's delay convinced them that they can be playing baseball in November in NY regularly...

MarkEdward
09-14-2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
It's not a question of if, but a question of when this will happen. Personally, I don't think the average fan cares about a KC/TB game in mid-August, so it isn't like the regular season has any importance to most of us anyway, unless our team is playing and in the hunt for a playoff spot.

But the new set-up would destroy any excitement of the regular season. The author wants six teams in from each league- in the AL those would be Boston, New York, Minnesota, Seattle, Oakland, and Anahiem. That would end the AL West race and the Wild Card race because all these teams will have playoff spots.

LauraJ14
09-14-2002, 11:31 AM
Does it destroy the excitement of the regular season by letting in 6 playoff teams in the NFL? There you have 3 division winners and 3 wild cards in each conference. I know that they play only 16 games in the NFL.

SI1020
09-14-2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

I think they will have to shorten the season by a few games to accomplish this, but maybe last year's delay convinced them that they can be playing baseball in November in NY regularly... I hope they don't think they can play baseball regularly in November. Anyone old enough to remember the grand Czar Bowie Kuhn in short sleeves for a WS game while the temperature hovered around 37 degrees? Baseball should be done by the middle of October.

MisterB
09-14-2002, 08:33 PM
One of many flaws in this plan is the fact that the existing playoff format is alrady looked upon by the TV networks as a lucky-to-break-even propostion, and expanding the playoffs would probably be even less attractive to them (due to higher production costs because of additional games), so his supposed incrase to the 'bottom line' is pretty specious.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-14-2002, 08:48 PM
As I've outlined here previously, I'm in favor of just two teams meeting in a best of seven World Series: the teams with the best records in a 16-team A.L. and 16-team N.L. The league schedule would be approximately 90 games--with no playoffs besides the World Series.

For extra playoff games (and add excitement throughout the season), a separate schedule of inter-league games would be played. Divisions would be organized strictly by geography. For example a Midwest division might include the Sox, Cubs, Brewers, Twins, Cardinals, and Royals.

The first round might be 30 games (played in the early summer), with the top teams from each division advancing to a round robin tournament of 16 teams playing another 45 games (played in late summer).

Finally 8 teams would play best of five elimination series to decide a champion--completely apart from the World Series. The championship would be held the first week of October, just before the World Series began.

The problem with the people running MLB is that they have no imagination. They keep trying to replicate the NFL without realizing the two sports are as different as night and day. They need to start thinking outside the box for ways to build on baseball's traditions and simultaneously mop up on the TV revenue from televising playoff games.

Foulke You
09-14-2002, 10:05 PM
I'm in favor of any plan that increases the White Sox chances at making post season play. :D: