PDA

View Full Version : Olivo called up

rmusacch
09-14-2002, 12:49 AM
From http://www.barons.com

Miguel Olivo was named the Southern League Playoff MVP. Olivo finished the playoffs with four home runs and nine RBI. After the game, Olivo was promoted to the Chicago White Sox and will join them in New York Saturday.

Wonder if anyone else is coming up?

DrCrawdad
09-14-2002, 12:56 AM
That sure didn't take long. I wonder if Olivo knew that he was set for the call-up or if he's throwing his clothes in a bag right now.

Josh Paul and Mark Johnson, the heat is on!

DrCrawdad
09-14-2002, 12:59 AM
Is this Olivo receiving the SLCS MVP?

The Birmingham Barons Website (http://www.barons.com/images/mvc-011f.jpg)

rmusacch
09-14-2002, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Is this Olivo receiving the SLCS MVP?

I would guess so. Where did you get that picture?

PaleHoseGeorge
09-14-2002, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by rmusacch
I would guess so. Where did you get that picture?

DrCrawdad is Wally Backman. How else would he be on the field with the team for the awards ceremony?

:)

Joel Perez
09-14-2002, 10:54 AM
...and I'm from Chi-town!
Why don't the Big Newspapers give the B'Ham Barons any print?!?!?!?

HawkDJ
09-14-2002, 11:34 AM
Nice! Olivo is my favorite of all our prospects. I doubt he will play alot, even though he should. I think its more just to give him a taste of the bigs and bring his confidence up for spring training next year.

doublem23
09-14-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
Nice! Olivo is my favorite of all our prospects. I doubt he will play alot, even though he should. I think its more just to give him a taste of the bigs and bring his confidence up for spring training next year.

I dunno... Look at his competition...

:MJ :versatile

I think Olivo will see his fair share.

Foulke You
09-14-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Joel Perez

Because they are a White Sox affiliate. They don't even cover the parent club well in this town so little to no coverage for their AA ball club is to be expected. Now, if the AA West Tenn Cubs had beated Birmingham, there would have been more news. :angry:

Being one of the chief skeptics of Olivo and a huge critic of the Chad Bradford trade, I have to say I hope Olivo comes up and makes me eat crow. I'm impressed at the year he had in AA. It looks like he's finally starting to develop. PLEASE MAKE ME EAT MY WORDS MIGUEL!! :D: We need a good catcher really bad. I think the Josh Paul experiment is over. He's had 3 years with no improvement. Mark Johnson is servicable on the defensive end, but brutal on offense. Catcher is a position that seems weaker at the MLB level this year compared to eras past. There just aren't that many good catchers anymore.

RichH55
09-14-2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

This is why he simply has to develop.......we have nothing else in the pipeline

RichH55
09-14-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

Just thinking out loud, but its sad when you have to look up to the Detroit Tigers for any aspect of their organization

RichH55
09-14-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Joel Perez

Because Hee Soi Choi(which is Korean for overrated IIRC) needs another 4 stories written about him....I think that kid is going to crash and burn Brooks Kieshnick style

HawkDJ
09-14-2002, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Because Hee Soi Choi(which is Korean for overrated IIRC) needs another 4 stories written about him....I think that kid is going to crash and burn Brooks Kieshnick style

Its hee SOP Choi, lol. But I'm going to disagree as much as I hate to say it. I think this guy is going to be very good.

CuckTheFubs
09-14-2002, 08:56 PM
Its hee SOP Choi, lol. But I'm going to disagree as much as I hate to say it. I think this guy is going to be very good.

I thought it was Bok Choi?

Me so like Bok Choi...

HawkDJ
09-14-2002, 09:44 PM
Olivo is starting tomorrow according to Jer;
"I'm going to try to play him as much as I can to get as much a read on him as I can. He'll be in there (Sunday). If he'd have been here on time he would have been in there today. You know me."

doublem23
09-14-2002, 10:46 PM
... which probably means...

:jerry
We already know what Miguel can do.

:crede
You people are SOOOOO stupid.

Jerry_Manuel
09-14-2002, 11:21 PM

Of course he is.

Who traded for Olivo? Williams.

Who pulls the managers strings and "helps" with the lineups? Williams.

Hmmmmm....

Daver
09-15-2002, 05:14 PM
Olivo made a pretty good debut if you ask me,3 run HR in his first AB.

rmusacch
09-15-2002, 05:58 PM

I am glad to see that Olivo is going to get the shot but what about seeing Borchard and what he can do?

Daver
09-15-2002, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
I am glad to see that Olivo is going to get the shot but what about seeing Borchard and what he can do?

I think they are giving Rowand and Leifer playing time to showcase them for possible trades.

Lip Man 1
09-15-2002, 11:50 PM
Let's just hope that Olivo's career turns out to be as good as Oliva's!!! (Tony Oliva)

Lip

RichH55
09-16-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Of course he is.

Who traded for Olivo? Williams.

Who pulls the managers strings and "helps" with the lineups? Williams.

Hmmmmm....

Oh come on Jerry....pessimism is one thing, but lets go Oliver Stone here....He just won an MVP award and it isnt like we have Bench and Fisk back behind the plate in their primes either. We aren't in contention, Olivio is essentially the only guy in our pipeline at C with the potential to be worth a damn and someone has to pull strings to get him playing time?