PDA

View Full Version : FOV listen up...

Randar68
09-13-2002, 11:11 PM
Where are you all now????

The proof is in the pudding...

Nellie_Fox
09-14-2002, 01:01 AM
You know, I just can't keep up with all the FO_ groups. Sometimes the third letter is for a nickname, sometimes for a real name. I'm guessing this is Friends of Valentin?

Soxheads
09-14-2002, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
You know, I just can't keep up with all the FO_ groups. Sometimes the third letter is for a nickname, sometimes for a real name. I'm guessing this is Friends of Valentin?

...Versatility, for those Josh Paul fans.

Ugh.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-14-2002, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Soxheads
...Versatility, for those Josh Paul fans.
Ugh.

The legions of Versatile fans have been reduced significantly. They seem to have been contained to 2-3 homes in Buffalo Grove, Illinois.

Nellie_Fox
09-14-2002, 01:56 AM
Okay, I read this board every day, and I can't keep up. I surrender.

34 Inch Stick
09-14-2002, 12:46 PM
It would have been nice to ride out his .500 hitting streak while he still had it. I don't think we will be seeing that again.

HawkDJ
09-14-2002, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
The legions of Versatile fans have been reduced significantly. They seem to have been contained to 2-3 homes in Buffalo Grove, Illinois.

LOL. Gotta suppport the home town kid! Actually I don't think he grew up in BG, he just went to Buffalo Grove High School. Sort of like how I'm from BG but go to Stevenson in Lincolnshire. The only ones I know of who went to Stevenson are someone from the Twins who played in like 10 games this year and Catchings from the WNBA (rookie of the year). So its slim pickings unless you are a WNBA fan.

I am a huge Olivo supporter though.

bc2k
09-14-2002, 01:21 PM
I really haven't noticed Paul's average drop, but I have noticed his inability to throw out runners. Watching yesterday's Yankees game, he double-clutched on the ball and couldn't get off a throw. I believe the announcers said Paul's only thrown out 1 potential base stealer in 17 chances. How's that for pudding, Randar?

I do have to respect Josh for being a Sox fan. I just noticed his number is 27 which is the opposite of 72, Fisk's number. Since they're both catchers, maybe Paul chose 27 in honor of Fisk. Also, I was too young to remember mannerism of Fisks, but didn't he do that hand on helmet adjust in the batters box like Paul is doing now? Plus it looks like Josh is imitating Carlton's hair.

Foulke You
09-14-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
I really haven't noticed Paul's average drop, but I have noticed his inability to throw out runners. Watching yesterday's Yankees game, he double-clutched on the ball and couldn't get off a throw. I believe the announcers said Paul's only thrown out 1 potential base stealer in 17 chances. How's that for pudding, Randar?

I do have to respect Josh for being a Sox fan. I just noticed his number is 27 which is the opposite of 72, Fisk's number. Since they're both catchers, maybe Paul chose 27 in honor of Fisk. Also, I was too young to remember mannerism of Fisks, but didn't he do that hand on helmet adjust in the batters box like Paul is doing now? Plus it looks like Josh is imitating Carlton's hair.

Actually, Josh use to wear #15 in 2000 and then agreed to give it up when Sandy Alomar arrived in 2001. Apparently, Sandy had to buy him a DVD player or something to get the number (the youngster has some stones!). He switched it to #27 in 2001. It's possible he chose it because of Fisk but I would think he would've requested that number the 1st time. I also think it's pretty cool that he grew up a Sox fan and his living out his dream playing on his favorite team, but I wish he would develop into a better catcher.

sox_fan_forever
09-14-2002, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by bc2k

Actually, I remember hearing (or reading) awhile back that that is the reason he chose #27 but I can't remember where I read that so I have no idea if it's true or if they were "just saying that".

FarWestChicago
09-15-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
You know, I just can't keep up with all the FO_ groups. Sometimes the third letter is for a nickname, sometimes for a real name. I'm guessing this is Friends of Valentin? The pro-Valentin camp are BOM's: Backers Of Manos. :smile:

ISUSoxfan
09-17-2002, 03:19 AM
I'm still an FOV and a BOM. I just haven't had the time to argue or even to watch many games lately. All of my time is spent on school, fun, and more serious issues. I became an FOV in 2000, and the fact that he can't throw out a runner will not stop me from cheering for him. Manoz doesn't have the big #s this year, but I still want him at the plate when the game is on the line. I'm also still a fan of Caballo, and I'm glad to see Durham doing good in Oakland, although I wish he was still on our team.